What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Sat with my daughter tonight who is 9 and we watched Alien together. :eek:

Comment from her....

"I nearly wet my knickers dad and why is my heart pounding" :D

First horror/suspense film she has ever seen in her life.

1979 and its still a brilliant movie. ;)

Saw it when I was about 6 years old, left a firm imprint on my mind and is to this day my favorite movie of all time. I still get sweaty and feel sick to my stomach when Dallas is in the vents.

Permabanned
Transporter Refueled... 2/10... another remake that ruined the franchise :(

OK... the first ones weren't exactly Oscar nominees... but at least they were simple enough not to try and pretend to be something they weren't.

They didn't overdo the story, the action was well carried out and it did what it was supposed to, reasonably well.

The new one... bugger all action scenes and an attempt at a story that was meaningless and badly acted. The action scenes that were there were so cheesy, it was just annoying... where have you ever seen a fire hydrant on a roundabout? Let alone 4... ffs

Soldato
You people saying 9 is too young to watch Alien no its not, if you educate your child to know its just a movie. ;)

She laughed at the very few swear words in it and she was fascinated when I explained they were all models and not computer effects.

She now understands what a suspense, edge of seat horror is.

Next on my list for her is Hellraiser and Final Destination! :eek:

Joking! :D

Man of Honour
I'm not sure I'd watch Alien with a 9 year old daughter but mostly because I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of them not sleeping for a few nights... However, based on my own childhood I would say that I can imagine lots of situations where a child of that age could watch a similar film without it being even remotely irresponsible. To suggest otherwise seems like a knee-jerk reaction to me.

I had a free reign of television throughout most of my childhood - without someone there to put things in perspective or explain anything. I can't say that was good for me. There are plenty of other ways to approach such things, and sitting down with your child, explaining what they are seeing, why and how those things relate to the real world strikes me as pretty responsible without molly-coddling.

Soldato
It certainly is a brilliant movie, but at aged 9, really?
She must be made of strong stuff, I doubt I'll subject my daughter to it's brilliance until a later age.

9? Real responsible, genius.

I'm not sure I'd watch Alien with a 9 year old daughter but mostly because I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of them not sleeping for a few nights... However, based on my own childhood I would say that I can imagine lots of situations where a child of that age could watch a similar film without it being even remotely irresponsible. To suggest otherwise seems like a knee-jerk reaction to me.

I had a free reign of television throughout most of my childhood - without someone there to put things in perspective or explain anything. I can't say that was good for me. There are plenty of other ways to approach such things, and sitting down with your child, explaining what they are seeing, why and how those things relate to the real world strikes me as pretty responsible without molly-coddling.

I seen Alien at 9 and I was not as clued up as she is, scared the pants of me it did. So did hammer house of horrors etc.
I had free rain with TV like you and seen some crazy stuff when I was under 9.

No one explained anything to me and had a few sweaty nights that's for sure. :p

I asked today if she liked it and she said "That was good dad, when can we watch Alien 2" to which I replied "Its sod all like Alien". :rolleyes:

Soldato
On the Alien discussion: just don't let her watch Resurrection. That really would be child abuse.

^^^^I agree! :D

She not getting past 2 that's for sure. ;)

I watched the Martian last night also, its a hard one like Ex machina.

I like it but the is something about it I don't like.:(

I dunno, films are not so good these days. :mad:

Caporegime
Sleeping with Other People

I remember seeing the trailer for this and even laughed at the trailer itself and I am happy to say that the movie is just a lot more of that and they didn't give away all the great scenes in the trailer.

First, Alison Brie...I liked her before in Community but I love her in this, perfect balance of neurotic and cute in this movie. Jason Sudeikis is very funny too, good comic timing and both of them have good chemistry together and some of the best scenes are certainly between the 2 leads especially during the first hour of the movie that literally had me burst out laughing. It's been a while since I done that (Easy A). This film reminds me of When Harry Met Sally, in a good way, I love WHMS. Another film that is similar is Friends with Benefits, which is on the same vein in plot/idea.

You will know in these kind of movie you know the 2 leads will end up together, that is the entire premise but the important part is how they get there and this film gets there just right and when it does actually get there, it feels right and as the audience actually at that point feels like they should end up together. I do have to add that the "dip" just before the final act of the movie felt a little forced at first but it did work in the end.

8/10

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom