IIyama 40" 4k VA monitor

Associate
i used DP cable which came with TV and its fine for me :) (no drop from 4k@60hz mode)

someone messed with RS232 to see what is offered?

Associate
someone messed with RS232 to see what is offered?

Seems to be an industrial control port that might be useful for home automation, if you can be bothered to still talk serial in 2015! I found an Iiyama RS232 PDF and the commands are the basic stuff you'd otherwise use the remote for (on, off, colour temp etc).

I am liking them considerably more with a round desk and a £2 rubber feet kit from Clas Ohlson:
CWeATYVXIAAinOK.jpg:large
I can see I'm going to have to spring for stands eventually. I'm wondering if a TV pedestal will do?

EDIT: That pedestal will NOT do. Three of them have just arrived and the glass base is 55x28cm! Takes up far too much space on the desk.

Last edited:
Associate
Okay, I've noticed something very weird with one of the units: it blanks out when showing certain complex images at 4K! I first noticed it playing Fallout 4, with the screen going black when looking at areas with lots of trees in daytime. I assumed it was the game being buggy (it IS Bethesda after all), but I can actually make it happen on demand if I use an image viewer to look at a complex panoramic photo. At a certain level of zoom, the monitor goes black! If I zoom back out, it restores. It's not the cables or the video card because if I swap out the unit for either of the other two, they're fine. This same unit is fine otherwise, I played 30 mins of Far Cry 4 on it without a glitch. What the hell is going on there?

Associate
Okay, I've noticed something very weird with one of the units: it blanks out when showing certain complex images at 4K! I first noticed it playing Fallout 4, with the screen going black when looking at areas with lots of trees in daytime. I assumed it was the game being buggy (it IS Bethesda after all), but I can actually make it happen on demand if I use an image viewer to look at a complex panoramic photo. At a certain level of zoom, the monitor goes black! If I zoom back out, it restores. It's not the cables or the video card because if I swap out the unit for either of the other two, they're fine. This same unit is fine otherwise, I played 30 mins of Far Cry 4 on it without a glitch. What the hell is going on there?

Hi andrewprice did you get your problem sorted with 3 monitors, one working at 60hz and the other two only at 30hz.

Associate
Hi andrewprice did you get your problem sorted with 3 monitors, one working at 60hz and the other two only at 30hz.
I ordered one of your recommended leads and it definitely helped one of them, so I'm waiting on delivery of another two now. However, I'm continuing to see weirdness like I mentioned above, even with the new cable.

Associate
Yes, but that still translates to a 33% failure rate in terms of handling 4K reliably. I'm raising it as I'm in the unusual position of having several to compare, so I can eliminate things like duff DP cables more easily. If that was my only monitor I'd probably have to send it back, or maybe see if the HDMI 2.0 port circumvents the problem.

EDIT: The extra cables arrived and I'm still seeing random dropouts on it on complex images. I'll RMA it as it's still within 30 days, although they don't do a direct swapout, sigh.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, but that still translates to a 33% failure rate in terms of handling 4K reliably. I'm raising it as I'm in the unusual position of having several to compare, so I can eliminate things like duff DP cables more easily. If that was my only monitor I'd probably have to send it back, or maybe see if the HDMI 2.0 port circumvents the problem.

EDIT: The extra cables arrived and I'm still seeing random dropouts on it on complex images. I'll RMA it as it's still within 30 days, although they don't do a direct swapout, sigh.

If you RMA it direct with Iiyama they will do an on-site swap. The problem is they don't seem to be importing them at the moment. My monitor failed 2 weeks ago. I got my RMA number on December 7th and have been told that they will contact me to arrange a swap as soon as they have stock. I'm still waiting and they can't give an estimate.

As I'm still within 28 days I could send it back and ask for a refund then buy a new one - problem is I got it on the 'Black Friday' deal price so I'd end up paying more, another delivery charge and having to find packaging.

Associate
Hi andrewprice can you let me know the steps to recreate the issue and I will see if I can recreate it im using the hdmi ports

Can anyone recommend a hdmi splitter I tried using this http://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-bidirectional-Full-HD-Frequency-capable/dp/B00W6XRCKA/ref=sr_1_2?srs=3760694031&ie=UTF8&qid=1450555883&sr=8-2&keywords=hdmi+switch and it just does not recognize the signal in any of the hdmi ports but my 32" tv works fine in the splitter. But when i switch to the ilyama the screen says no signal and turns off.

I also got this 40" monitor arm which seems to be doing the job so far only had it for 48 hours I also bought the addon vesa kit for £30 but did not need it and getting it refunded.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ergotron-Stand-Desk-Mount-Screen/dp/B00GN4DCR0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1450137004&sr=8-8&keywords=ergotron+arm

here is images of my monitor with the new dam expensive arm but its lifts the tilts the monitor with ease. I will be removing the stands at some point

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yolv5mcnpevwm2i/IMG_20151219_192041781[1].jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/81lic1dy9ajybu9/IMG_20151219_192315942[1].jpg?dl=0

Last edited:
Associate
For better or worse, I simply RMA'ed it with Overclockers. Doesn't that mean they just verify the fault and send out another one from stock (of which they seem to have 10+)? It had bloody well better.

Associate
Hi andrewprice can you let me know the steps to recreate the issue and I will see if I can recreate it im using the hdmi ports

Sure, but it's worth bearing in mind even I can't replicate it on the same port and cable on a different unit; the individual device is faulty, not the entire line. It blanks out constantly during daylight in Fallout 4 in wooded areas, but an easier repro is viewing a high-res image like this in IrfanView. If I hit Return to go full-screen and then press + to adjust the zoom, one level up tips it over the edge and makes the screen start to blank out!

I've taken a video of it happening here for RMA purposes. I have the image open, set it full screen, then increase the zoom one level. The monitor shows it for a fraction of a second, then blanks out. It appears to be trying, because after a couple of seconds it unblanks itself for a moment, then blanks again.

Last edited:
Associate

Can anyone recommend a hdmi splitter I tried using this http://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-bidirectional-Full-HD-Frequency-capable/dp/B00W6XRCKA/ref=sr_1_2?srs=3760694031&ie=UTF8&qid=1450555883&sr=8-2&keywords=hdmi+switch and it just does not recognize the signal in any of the hdmi ports but my 32" tv works fine in the splitter. But when i switch to the ilyama the screen says no signal and turns off.

I also got this 40" monitor arm which seems to be doing the job so far only had it for 48 hours I also bought the addon vesa kit for £30 but did not need it and getting it refunded.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ergotron-Stand-Desk-Mount-Screen/dp/B00GN4DCR0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1450137004&sr=8-8&keywords=ergotron+arm

here is images of my monitor with the new dam expensive arm but its lifts the tilts the monitor with ease. I will be removing the stands at some point

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yolv5mcnpevwm2i/IMG_20151219_192041781[1].jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/81lic1dy9ajybu9/IMG_20151219_192315942[1].jpg?dl=0

Whats the picture like in Portrait

Associate
Sure, but it's worth bearing in mind even I can't replicate it on the same port and cable on a different unit; the individual device is faulty, not the entire line. It blanks out constantly during daylight in Fallout 4 in wooded areas, but an easier repro is viewing a high-res image like this in IrfanView. If I hit Return to go full-screen and then press + to adjust the zoom, one level up tips it over the edge and makes the screen start to blank out!

I've taken a video of it happening here for RMA purposes. I have the image open, set it full screen, then increase the zoom one level. The monitor shows it for a fraction of a second, then blanks out. It appears to be trying, because after a couple of seconds it unblanks itself for a moment, then blanks again.

That fault is a strange one I sure would like to understand what is creating the issue. Have you tried to make it happen in a different game.

Associate
Nvidia drivers are having issues with 4k monitors at the moment, causing screens to go black, Windows crashes and the lowering of hertz from 60 the 30. Check the geforce forums if you're having issues.

Associate
That fault is a strange one I sure would like to understand what is creating the issue. Have you tried to make it happen in a different game.
I tried Far Cry 4 with everything at ultra and flew around for half an hour to ensure lots of motion: not a single glitch! But a complex Windows background image? Floors it completely, constant blackouts! It took me a while to work out it was to do with image complexity. I can only suppose it's stressing whatever does the DP packet decoding in the monitor, and it can't quite handle what it should.

Nvidia drivers are having issues with 4k monitors
If I only had one monitor then I too would probably be blaming the card or cables. However, I'm able to swap the monitor out with two of its siblings using the exact same cabling and source settings (literally lifting out the panel, putting the other in its place), and neither of them exhibit the problem. For once NVidia and Bethesda are in the clear.

Associate
Overclockers have rejected my RMA without even asking me for repro steps. Very unimpressed. Good luck to anyone who has the same problem, you'll have a useless screen and no return path.

Associate
Overclockers have rejected my RMA without even asking me for repro steps. Very unimpressed. Good luck to anyone who has the same problem, you'll have a useless screen and no return path.
To be fair they do ask you to tell them any steps to reproduce your problem when you submit the RMA. I forgot last time and they sent it back to me as a rejected RMA but I sent it straight back with enclosed instructions and it got accepted as a fault.
Pain in the arse for you I know but with so many bits of kit landing on their test benches I get the feeling they spend only a few moments with each and unless they know why its faulty they'll just reject it.

Back
Top Bottom