IIyama 40" 4k VA monitor

Associate
When the Iiyama prolite 4k first came into stock on overclockers for £450.00 I was pretty disappointed on missing out on that deal. I now see it is back on at £450 on the this weeks deals page but with all the issues on this forum and overclockers rejecting a RMA I am just going to give it a miss. Shame really Iiyama use to have a very good rep.

Associate
Shame really Iiyama use to have a very good rep.
Couldn't agree more. I've been an Iiyama customer for 20 years and always trusted them to deliver solid, unremarkable monitors with no silly issues. This one feels like a misstep.

EDIT: Having inspected the panels pretty thoroughly for dead pixels on receipt, I've noticed that they are starting to appear with use. Even if it's a Class 1 panel, they've got a way to go before they no longer comply with ISO 13406-2, but if they continue multiplying there's obviously a risk of that.

Last edited:
Associate
There appears to be two different versions of this:

Iiyama LE4041UHS-B1
Iiyama X4071UHSU-B1

Anyone know what the differences are? I've checked their website and it gives no indication whatsoever.

Associate
I've just received mine, works fine within Windows, but as soon as you change the resolution of a game to 4k, then it just flickers as if its changing the resolution, then it comes back for a split second, and then does it again. Can't get any games working

tried 2 x Displayport cables and six different games

Going to uninstall all AMD drivers and reinstall. Bit worried though...

UPDATE

After some fault finding, the issue seems to be with Displayport v 1.2, as if you leave it on 1.1 it works fine (just runs like crap)

So still not sure what i can do

Last edited:
Associate
So still not sure what i can do
Welcome to our sad little party. :( Forgive me for asking the obvious, but you have definitely set "DP Format" to 1.2 in the OSD?
I've found it's definitely a problem with the monitor, but I can reduce (just not eliminate) the symptoms by making sure no HDMI is plugged in at the same time, and favouring the lower DP slots (closest to the socket). Might be worth a go as it's only juggling sockets. If it's your only monitor maybe you could switch to a well-shielded HDMI 2.0 connection instead?

Associate
Hey man

thanks for the reply

It's definitely set to 1.2 in the menu, if i choose 1.1 it works fine and the screen doesn't have any issues

I keep seeing the "displayport" text in the corner as if the monitor has switches sources
i've got a 295X2 so the only ports are mini DP unfortunately

If its definitely a monitor issue rather than an AMD one, ill do an RMA with OCUK and send it back
Moved my displayport cable to the farthest port on the card, and its improved but still an issue ultimately

Last edited:
Associate
OK i did a final test

I connected my laptop with a displayport cable to the 8800M card, and tried the same games @ 4k 60hz

All worked fine, so the issue is most likely the usual cause...AMD either hardware or their world famous drivers

What card are you using?

I am 99% sure there is nothing wrong with my monitor now..

Associate
Also, it seems to depend which game

Dishonored won't work without the screen going off and on, nor will Assassins Creed Syndicate, yet Batman Arkham Knight works, and various others do too

I just assumed it was something to do with AMD

Every game worked perfectly on the Nvidia laptop - no issues with any

Associate
Tested the Witcher 3, and it was doing the same thing. However, when i dropped the settings from Ultra to Low, it completed stopped

My Vram wasn't being maxed, and everything else seemed fine too
Very confusing

Associate
Andrew you still haven't got that third monitor swapped?
Nope, I can't find anywhere to swap it! Overclockers refused me an RMA and Iiyama seemingly don't have any.

when i dropped the settings from Ultra to Low, it completed stopped
Yes that's what I found, it seems to be do it with image complexity, not resolution or refresh rate! Perhaps the reason it works on your laptop is because it's only an 8800M and can't produce a particularly detailed image? I've wondered if putting the video card under stress somehow reduces the voltage (or increases the noise?) being put out across the DisplayPort connector, and that trips something in certain Iiyamas. Either way, it's difficult to replicate but makes for a fairly useless monitor.

Associate
I have said before on the BenQ BL3201PT thread that I think GPU`s have big part to play with some of the issues that users of 4K monitors have.
I quite agree, updating so many pixels seems to push everything right to the edge of spec, and that's always where incompatibilities crop up. I was hoping there'd be some way to tinker with the DP output on Nvidia cards to stabilise the Iiyama, but I haven't found anything.

Associate
I have said before on the BenQ BL3201PT thread that I think GPU`s have big part to play with some of the issues that users of 4K monitors have.

Not at all. I have a Palit SJ GTX 980 ti - got those screen flashes on my old 27" 4K monitor too on both DP and HDMI 2.0 connections, absolutely fine with a 1080p one. 4K isn't demanding enough to bring a GPU like that to its knees unless you're running games on max settings.

Associate
Is anyone using this monitor for web design and/or development?
For a full working day, 8 hours or much more?
PWM dimming related : Any problem with sore eyes, or more often than usual niddle noddle?
If you're calibrating, how much more were you able to improve the grey scale accuracy and color accuracy from the factory default?

The main attractions for me are :
  • the massive UHD workspace
  • no need to scale up the OS UI
  • HDMI 2.0 (for 4K TV Box)

The main distractions are :
  • uncertain/unknown/no 98-100% sRGB coverage
  • reliability issues (reported in this thread)
  • no pivot (and other adjustments)
  • tilting towards me

I currently use a NEC LCD3090W-BK-SV (which I will give to a friend when I have a new monitor).
I will use the new monitor for designing and coding WordPress themes and plugins professionally.
I do not require 100% AdobeRGB coverage anymore, because I'm not professionally doing printing press related work anymore. But close to 100% sRGB coverage is a must. I will be calibrating the new monitor, but because I have no control over where my work is going to be output it's always going to be a bet what it will look like.

OFF-TOPIC (read at own risk) :

I had a look and a hands-on with a few of the 31"-32" UHD and 4K monitors in the shop, but found the OS UI just a tad too small.

When I was back home I researched it a bit, and found out why.
I used to have a small notebook/netbook just for scripting on the go. It had a 11.6" panel @1366x768. I always found the Windows (the OS) buttons and menu texts a tad too small. And had to set the OS font size a bit larger. Sometimes with weird effects. (Used this only with Windows 7.)
The 32" UHD and 4K monitors gave me the same impression.
And as I found out is that the dpi and ppi of both are virtually the same :

Resolution Size DPI PPI
  • 1366x768 11.6" 0.188 135.09
  • 3840x2160 32" 0.1845 137.68
  • 3840x2160 31.5" 0.1816 139.87
  • noticeably smaller :
  • 3840x2160 31" 0.1787 142.14
  • 4096x2160 31" 0.17 149.38

P.S. I might me moving permanently to Linux (Fedora). With no monitor manufacturer software compatible with Linux, I might need a monitor which offers hardware calibration. So I would have to calibrate the hardware LUT of the monitor in Windows. Not sure I want this though. If the monitor offers pivot, it will probably also not be automatically changing the picture after rotation. Sigh!

Apologies for the War and Piece sized post.

Last edited:
Associate
I will use the new monitor for designing and coding WordPress themes and plugins professionally.
I don't think this is the monitor for you. The 4K panel this uses (and the Philips BDM4065UC) has non-square pixels! If you draw a box, it will be squashed by 1.8%.

I use three of these for work which includes web design and development, and probably stare at them for upwards of 14 hours a day. PWM doesn't seem to be an issue if you set the brightness to 100%.

In terms of colour, you'll get sRGB coverage, but it's a glossy surface and colour accuracy is poor. The real problem is that screen is so large that even if you calibrate it, you experience significant crush and colour distortion just from the angle (literally the corners of the screen appear washed out when you're looking in the middle). If you don't mind moving your head a lot then it's a good workout, but you need a curved screen for consistent colour accuracy on an MVA panel at this size, and such a screen doesn't exist AFAIK.

Back
Top Bottom