Forgot how bad job searching was :(

Soldato
Haha, no. The role of the Job Centre is not to get you employment, but to fudge the unemployment statistics as much as possible.

They don't care if you get a job or not. But they do want to get you off JSE as quickly as possible.

If you are good at gaming the system you can claim for years with no prospects of getting a job at all; if you're actually trying to get a job the Job Centre is the least helpful place in the world.

Your conspiracy theories and JC's effectiveness in finding claimants employment aside that is their official stance on the matter, and yes generally if you are off the dole then you have generally found employment, no? Regardless if they had any role in facilitating that.

Soldato
I don't get the whole job centre is crap argument tbh. If you're not a total waste turning up in jogging bottoms smoking a joint... People will actually help.

I signed on a year after leaving uni, guy there was amazingly helpful, got placed in council on crappy wage like 5-6 an hour.

After a few months they cancelled contract and took me on full time at 30k. That was 6 years ago now, and have been on an amazing journey... And would not have happened if not for the guy at the job centre.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
I don't get the whole job centre is crap argument tbh. If you're not a total waste turning up in jogging bottoms smoking a joint... People will actually help.

I signed on a year after leaving uni, guy there was amazingly helpful, got placed in council on crappy wage like 5-6 an hour.

After a few months they cancelled contract and took me on full time at 30k. That was 6 years ago now, and have been on an amazing journey... And would not have happened if not for the guy at the job centre.

lucky you, as has been discussed on this forum a few times before, what sort of service can vary a great deal from jobcentre to jobcentre, i was unemployed for 3 and a half years, had to jack in working on the bins (via agency so got sod all redundancy) due to early onset of arthritis in my knee's im not a cripple but pointless making myself one by the time im 40. in that time the jobcentre in all of their wisdom must have offered me jobs with 3 different councils on the bins. even though i stated the above. the last time i put a written complaint in and guess what, it got lost.

after 700+ apps i finally got working again, and you know what sort of support i got from the jobcentre BUGGER ALL. they admitted my cv was up to snuff and they couldnt help me with it, my IT skills are beyond what courses they could get me on and any other training wasnt there as it was a career change. even though the above means i couldnt go back on the bins anyways.

the jobcentre staff even made suggestions i should look at signing on to the sick even though they admitted id be back in the jobcentre after the 12 week assessment, the only reason i could see was for them to lose me off their books for a while.

everyone calls ian duncan smith about the state of the jobcentres but they have been a total shambles for 20 years+ due to the same civil servants tarring anyone who walks in as a waste of space if they cant get a job within weeks of signing on no matter your circumstances, iv used 3 different jobcentres and honestly not one has ever been helpful.

Soldato
The hospitality event that JCP signed me up for was "ok", but it's certainly not what i want to be doing. Not even remotely. To be fair, my advisor on the work programme is far more helpful than anyone at the jobcentre. Helping me out with my CV, helping to write good cover letters and assisting with applications that i make. Already had a few tugs, no offer yet but i'm hopeful! Can't wait to do away with the JCP.

Having a current job and up to date CV improves future employment prospects, with this job you could potentially afford a car/cheap run around until you build up more.

My 'skills' are in IT, when 2008 came round I got made redundant. I took whatever was needed, worked in Wickes delivery fence panels, work in a metal factory stamping out the wholes in metal for what plasterers use on edges...Just gotta do what you've gotta do.

My assumption is you are partially well off, or have some form of security at home otherwise you would need to grab any old job :p

All the best to you bud. Just remember, you can apply to a job more than once. Why not also pop in to local stores and ask face to face?

I'll take anything that isn't hospitality! :p

And yes, my parents said they'll help me out financially should anything go wrong with the JCP. I don't have many outgoings as i'm trying to slowly clear away my overdraft. I still live with my parents who have been very supportive, very lucky really. I do have rather large student overdraft though left over from my previous two years at uni in South Wales, thankfully that isn't costing me anything. My family is by no means rich but we have enough to get by fairly comfortably. My mum is one of those people who will refuse any money from me, i did offer many times to pay my share of the bills but she wouldn't let me saying i have more important things to worry about. Even quietly setting up a standing order was noticed by her, i did try! :p

I would still have a job if i wasn't made redundant from my last job. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
So the company HR has issued an informal "intent to offer" with all the details.. however the contract offer is still in the approval process... Four weeks from the last face to face offer..

I've been chasing their HR weekly however they're chasing people internally. I think I'll contact the hiring manager to find out what is causing the delay next week. There's a set of checks after the offer that need doing too - typically 6 weeks.

Stats from this are 8 interviews, 3 HR people and 19 weeks elapsed from initial application. So if the process continues - that's 6 weeks... makes the total process 6 months.

Last edited:
Soldato
Found out yesterday that my offer has now subject to the final exec approval.. hopefully this week then everything has a green light.

It's odd when you know you possibly have a job, yet there's always a percent chance it will fall through.. but not such a percentage that you can easily go job hunting again..

In the meantime I've been gardening.. infact I'm starting to run out of things todo in the garden that don't cost money.. if it carries on I'm likely to empty the garden of plants :D

Soldato
Okay so the search for contract role has officially begun. This constant 9-5 with limited time to myself is finally starting to get to me.

I would love to be able to take a month out. To do **** all lol. As a permie I cannot do this.

Anyone know of any decent contract recruiters?

Soldato
Fed up with the work programme now, going to sign off next week as i've quite frankly had enough. They've started putting me on 4 hours job search sessions where you're not allowed to talk, eat, drink or use your phone. You also have to ask to go to the loo! It's like being in being in an exam hall for 4 hours.

Ridiculous, it's archaic treatment of people who want to work but end up becoming a slave to the system. Not going to stand for it any longer. Going to carry on jobseeking under my own steam, in the comfort of my own home where i don't need permission to go to the loo.

/rant

Soldato
Fed up with the work programme now, going to sign off next week as i've quite frankly had enough. They've started putting me on 4 hours job search sessions where you're not allowed to talk, eat, drink or use your phone. You also have to ask to go to the loo! It's like being in being in an exam hall for 4 hours.

Ridiculous, it's archaic treatment of people who want to work but end up becoming a slave to the system. Not going to stand for it any longer. Going to carry on jobseeking under my own steam, in the comfort of my own home where i don't need permission to go to the loo.

/rant

Yea I must say that sounds ridiculous. I wouldn't stand for 2min of that treatment.

Googled your town and while it seems perfectly gorgeous and almost postcard worthy, I can't see there being much work due to the size

Is moving an option?

Soldato

/rant

People in prison don't have to ask to use the loo!!!

What a sorry state of affairs Britain is in.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
had a similar experience when i got put on it before i got my current job, i asked them how this would benefit me searching for work as i was already applying for anything i stood a chance at getting from home. all i got was "you have to do it or we report you and you get sanctioned" in the end i didnt get any actual job hunting help from these jokers.

funny how they only got interested in me 6 months after id left the course and id gained employment and they where very interested to in the employers details and my start date. nothing to do with the £1500 they get if i stay in employment for 6 months or more, i told them to stick that idea up their collective backsides.

Soldato
Just job searching now to get away from a small team that's getting really acidic.

I didn't realise how bad the websites are. Filled with non-jobs like avon, dodgy employment agencies etc.

One listed at £25k wasn't even a job, it was an advert for a course!

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Just job searching now to get away from a small team that's getting really acidic.

I didn't realise how bad the websites are. Filled with non-jobs like avon, dodgy employment agencies etc.

One listed at £25k wasn't even a job, it was an advert for a course!

Welcome to the suck.

Soldato
Welcome to the suck.

Suck? I'm not THAT desperate for a new job! Not yet anyways.

It's just maddening. I hate the job I'm in, and I hate searching for new jobs. It's just a balance of what I hate more at the time I'm looking!

I'd have been ok with temping a few years ago, but I have a kid now, and need a steady income.

Underboss
People in prison don't have to ask to use the loo!!!

They do if they are locked in a classroom.

Got my managers interview tomorrow, 1st of 3 applications that have got to the interview stage.

All 3 have passed the sift test, the application review process and feedback - just waiting for more interviews now.

I don't really want the job I am interviewing for tomorrow, but the interview experience for a manager role will help with the next 2, both of which I want.

Fingers crossed though if they offer it I'd be mad not to accept, an extra £5k a year will do nicely.

Last edited:
Soldato
Spent the day (pretty much) filling in the paper work for the new job.

It seems with modern computers comes more PITA with things like acrobat reader forms (!) why when an HTTPS webworm is likely to be more secure.. for etc..

Accepted the contract and know my start date.. so I now, formally, have a job..

Soldato
Suck? I'm not THAT desperate for a new job! Not yet anyways.

It's just maddening. I hate the job I'm in, and I hate searching for new jobs. It's just a balance of what I hate more at the time I'm looking!

I'd have been ok with temping a few years ago, but I have a kid now, and need a steady income.

Ah.. so you've not met the wide and colourful array of recruitment agents.. they will make nappy changes like smelling of roses..

Back
Top Bottom