Military coup in Turkey?

Caporegime
Whatever you think of Edrogan, a military coup is an extremely ugly "solution". Even if the outcome is simply a new set of elections without bloodshed: Edrogan's party is the most widely supported in Turkey, so they would surely win again. So what does it achieve? Other than to roll back the idea that democracy is the means to achieve change.

And that's the absolute best case. People have already been killed, this is not bloodless, and whatever democracy is restored seems unlikely to be free and fair at least in the short term.

So Edrogan gone = good, sure, but all means of achieving that goal are not necessarily good. Just consider the Egyptian coup.

Man of Honour
It's up for the Turkish people to decide come elections and they have.

Not surprised to see you support a side shooting civilians, bombing police stations and impose the will of unelected generals over the will of the people. A hypocrite of the highest order...

That assumes elections are fair and (mostly) free of corruption.

Caporegime
I hope it will continue to be warning shots - I don't know how many people in the world have it in them to fire into an unarmed crowd.

Things change if you're in a smallish group with a baying mob wanting your guts.

I'm willing to bet the soldiers guarding that bridge are on a knife edge. I certainly wouldn't be wanting to push them.

Caporegime
It's up for the Turkish people to decide come elections and they have.

Not surprised to see you support a side shooting civilians, bombing police stations and impose the will of unelected generals over the will of the people. A hypocrite of the highest order...

Not really but not much point replying to you if you're going to ignore the below and carry on like that

Guys, I know this is a tense situation but please lets refrain from the personal jibes and except that some may have different views or beliefs :)

Back
Top Bottom