• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

Soldato
Oh okay. Strange naming then. Titan should be top of the range. Or just make it go 70, 80, 90 with 90 the top of the range. Why would you go 80, then Titan then titanium.

Ti was originally the step before the big daddy "Ultra" back in the day. The Ultra is kinda now the Titan and now sort of in it's own league and market.

I remember the days of MX, GTS, Pro, Ti, Ultra
Then the 3 series messed it up and 4 series brought around more numbers affixed to multiple Ti models and then FX settled with doing it by numbers and some Ultra versions.

It's much clearer these days.

Caporegime
It seems an odd situation. You need failed titan chips to make the ti, but there would be much greater demand for the ti over the titan. Without the failed titan chips the ti couldn't exist?

It could. You can deliberately disable part of the core and then release a lessor card which is what quite often happens.

Which is why there has been times when the core was disable purely in bios and not cut by laser and just by flashing a new bios you could unlock the full chip.

The gtx465 was one of these and if you flashed it with the 470 bios you had a full 470 card. I know cause I owned two of them :)

Last time the Titan was the full chip so any not making it could then be sold as 980ti. But the 980ti sold so well I doubt that there was enough failed chips to build all the titans so the rest would be made from full core chips, deliberately knobbled.

Last edited:
Soldato
If the current Titans are failed quadro, forget the 1080ti. Aint coming.
Titan was the full chip and 780 the failed version. By the time Nov 2013 hit, Titan Black was the full chip, 780ti the failed, and 780ghz was some failed Blacks. Also 780ghz was as fast as the full fledge Titan.

980Ti and its Titan was same story.

This time around the Titan is the failed chip and selling like hotcake at 1400 per pop.
Volta is the next round we would see Ti depending how that is desgned. Eg is the Titan the full chip or not.

Soldato
Titan was the full chip and 780 the failed version. By the time Nov 2013 hit, Titan Black was the full chip, 780ti the failed, and 780ghz was some failed Blacks. Also 780ghz was as fast as the full fledge Titan.

This time around the Titan is the failed chip and selling like hotcake at 1400 per pop.
Volta is the next round we would see Ti depending how that is desgned. Eg is the Titan the full chip or not.

780ghz was simply Gigabytes version, wasnt a special gpu really

Associate
For a long time the TI were late more efficient mid range cards, 660 ti 650 ti 750 ti 560 ti. Its really just the 780 ti and 980 ti where they have been the top of the line, and even then there were changes between them, there was ment to be a baby Maxwell in the 800 series that ended up just being mobile gpus. As mentioned above the new titan x is already the cut down GP102, so we might not get one at all or if we do it will likely be a rebadged titan XP.

Really what I'm saying is just that NVidia changes their line up and numbering all the time. So its really difficult to guess what they will do :(

Last edited:
Soldato

Titan wasn't full chip, it had an SMX disabled. 780 had 3 SMXs disabled. Titan Black was the full chip, 780 ti was a full chip and the 780 ghz was just gigabytes factory over clocked card.

How do you make so many points and be so wrong.

Man of Honour
Just doesn't seem to be any room performance wise between 1080 and Titan-P, so I really can't see them making a 1080Ti.

Only way IMO would be if they release a 'full fat' Titan-P, they can rebrand/cut down the existing Titan-P into a cheaper 1080Ti.

Caporegime
Just doesn't seem to be any room performance wise between 1080 and Titan-P, so I really can't see them making a 1080Ti.

Only way IMO would be if they release a 'full fat' Titan-P, they can rebrand/cut down the existing Titan-P into a cheaper 1080Ti.

Yep thats what I am thinking they will do as well.

Soldato
I expect AMD's new high end card (whenever we see it) will get to 1080 performance and that's when we'll see the ti. It doesn't make sense for Nvidia to play their ace ti card so soon with no real reason to.

Associate
I've often wondered how much specific planning they actually put into their line up ahead of time. Sometimes it really seems like they design and make the chips then in a sort of suck it and see approach work out the line up based on how the chips perform.

This titan xp launch could very well have been unplanned, they found themselves producing more subpar GP102s than they expected so they jammed a badge on them and hey presto "we're moving into deep learning cards"

Edit - The more I think about this the more sense it makes, last time they did a new architecture, the first generation of Maxwell chips never saw retail as they weren't able to outperform the Kepler cards.

Last edited:
Associate
The TXP is sold out in the USA. Considering it is not the full chip but a chip with disabled cores Iit is pretty safe to say that this is as much as they can produce right now.

There is simply no reason for a TI right now as long they can milk with the TXP.

Soldato
I've had mine for ages now as have quite a few. Ref cards were easier to get hold of. Most of the other high end AIB cards have been a shambles though due to most chips going to FE cards etc. Limited supply, then low on memory chips etc etc.

Yes this is the result of milking from Nvidia. I think they are attempting to push the AIB sellers out and want to go it alone or at least have the lions share of the sales.

This is bad news for consumers as it creates less competition thus allowing Nvidia to charge whatever the hell they like for the premium cards. I never thought id see the day where i had to spend over £600 for the new XX80 GTX offering from Nvidia.
AMD need to get their heads out of their arses and release something decent that will reign the Nvidia greed-train in a bit. The inflation of Nvidia GPUs in the last 3 years has been astronomical.

Maybe its time to stop the race and be happy with a console......

Caporegime
Yes this is the result of milking from Nvidia. I think they are attempting to push the AIB sellers out and want to go it alone or at least have the lions share of the sales.

This is bad news for consumers as it creates less competition thus allowing Nvidia to charge whatever the hell they like for the premium cards. I never thought id see the day where i had to spend over £600 for the new XX80 GTX offering from Nvidia.
AMD need to get their heads out of their arses and release something decent that will reign the Nvidia greed-train in a bit. The inflation of Nvidia GPUs in the last 3 years has been astronomical.

Maybe its time to stop the race and be happy with a console......

To be fair the 8800 GTX in todays money is around £600 so this isnt the first 80 card to be pitched at that price. The 8800 Ultra would be around £850.

However the 8800GTX was a beast of a card compared to previous gen.

And people used them for 3 or 4 years so ended up being good value whereas you know with the 1080 that a faster 1180 will be out in 9 months or less.

Soldato
To be fair the 8800 GTX in todays money is around £600 so this isnt the first 80 card to be pitched at that price. The 8800 Ultra would be around £850.

However the 8800GTX was a beast of a card compared to previous gen.

And people used them for 3 or 4 years so ended up being good value whereas you know with the 1080 that a faster 1180 will be out in 9 months or less.

Fair comment. I had one and it made Crysis a reality for me :). Its just a shame that consumers are expected to shell out so much more and so much more often than we used to.

Soldato
AMD Vega will knock the GTX 1080 just slightly off the perch then Nvidia the week after will have these already done and launch them to pee all over AMD :D

I don't mind I'll still get Vega.

Caporegime
Fair comment. I had one and it made Crysis a reality for me :). Its just a shame that consumers are expected to shell out so much more and so much more often than we used to.

I miss getting 2.5 dollars to the pound. That made $600 RRP cards only £288 inc VAT here....................:(

Associate

This is not quite right.

The original Titan was a failed chip, not the full. The GTX 780 was a more failed chip, and also aged very badly, just as a side note.

The 780 Ti was then the full chip, and the Titan Black was a full chip again but with more RAM and DP enabled.

Then the Titan XM was the full chip, and the 980 Ti a failed chip. However due to the clock relationship they were the same speed in practice because the 980 Ti would clock higher (unless you watercooled the Titan XM). Also at this point the Titan didn't have DP enabled, so 'Titan' now meant 'very expensive for no reason'.

Now the Titan XP also doesn't have DP enabled, and is a failed chip. The full chip being 3840 cores.

Back
Top Bottom