• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

Soldato
I'd be more interested in seeing hbm 2 utilised the way hbm1 was with fiji to make cards drastically smaller. Just about every card these days has some degree of sagging to it, and over time i can't imagine that's good for the pcb with it going through constant thermal cycles, nano and fury x were too short for sagging. Be nice to see a top end geforce around that size.

True. If I didn't had a huge full size X79 motherboard, and was on the market for form factor system, Nano is trully awesome, especially with the EK waterblock. So small..... (and ok overclocker, mine runs 1120/550 with +6mv +50%)
Ofc I would need to find where to install the Predator 360 that is cooling it afterwards :p

But can you imagine the next NV card been the size of the Nano, while NV is asking to cough £800-900. Go and justify that to the wife..... saying that had a second thought...... Jewellery if damn expensive but tiny :D

Associate
It is but mainly on power. It's not the massive leap in performance that people are thinking. I've seen it said hbm2 is 10 times faster than gddr5x. It isn't.

It goes up to 1 TB/s officially, but as Kaapstad keeps alluding to the latency is slightly higher than GDDR5X.

So in reality HBM2 is in the region of 50-100% faster. Also with the advantage you don't need to use a massive traditional bus. 512-bit GDDR5X would no doubt be expensive, power hungry, and hold back clockspeeds slightly as well.

So as you say, it is better but not an insane difference.

Also looks like it might be short lived since AMD said Navi will be out in 2018 with memory more advanced than HBM2. Possible guess is Intel/Micron's 3D Xpoint memory, but who knows.

Man of Honour
Also looks like it might be short lived since AMD said Navi will be out in 2018 with memory more advanced than HBM2. Possible guess is Intel/Micron's 3D Xpoint memory, but who knows.

Volta is also supposedly using Micron's 3D memory along with other changes that will make it completely different to Pascal in that regard so maybe nVidia will skip HBM2 entirely on consumer GPUs.

Associate
If they launch the 1080ti I can send my unopened Titan x back under dsr :)

and I wouldn't blame you as I very much doubt it's going to be the full GP102 chip, it wouldn't make any sense to do so but even with around 3328 cuda cores so only a few hundred less it'll offer 97% of the performance from Titan X pascal overclock it and you've got the same gaming experience for far less money, only in benchmarks will the Titan help you gain that top spot

Associate
thinking about it also, do you think Nvidia would fly over youtube tech reviewers just a low end launch like a 1050? or a mobile lineup? the more I think about it, the more I actually think there is a chance that 1080 Ti COULD be announced. If that's the case I feel sorry for Titan X owners.

Associate
Looking forward to the backtracking from all those that denied a 1080Ti would come out this year when I mentioned NVIDIA will release the 1080Ti to make more money, regardless of what AMD do. It looks like NVIDIA want to make another fortune while AMD have nothing ready to compete at all. That shouldn't be surprising from a business point of view - make hay while the sun shines. How many have said NVIDIA have absolutely no reason to release a 1080Ti? Making money might be one motive! Gonna be all over the 1080Ti!

Last edited:
Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Agreed but I would be after this, as long as performance was close to the TX.

Sadly I'll be skipping the 1080 Ti and staying with the 1080, I've spent way too much in the last few months and I need to start getting ready to move house, Get my new job setup, New furniture, New clothes so yeah, As much as I would like it, This time I'm skipping the 1080 Ti as my finances are spoken for elsewhere.

Caporegime
I'm still using Maxwell TX, albeit not the one I originally got, I sold that before the 1080 landed then bought again a few weeks later for much cheaper. I don't feel any need to upgrade as my gaming has cut down massively and the games I do play don't require more.

I do still get the itch now and again but it would honestly be wasted atm.

Associate
I'm with the others that have commented on here, I couldn't see the tech reviewers going all the way to London for a low end announcement, mobile announcement or anything to do with cars, shield or anything like that.

Back
Top Bottom