Road Cycling

Man of Honour
Looking at a maintenance stance, what's people's thoughts on the Park Tool PCS9? £76 from Halfords.

Also are the Muck-Off cleaning packs worth the money?

Realised my bike is covered in filth and the little stand I have is only really good for holding up the bike rather than any real work.

Soldato
Easier to clip out of... but what is the trade off? Otherwise surely all would be light action?

I was tempted by Look but read that the cleats tend to wear out pretty quickly and with my relatively high mileage not sure I can be bothered for regular cleat changes. My SPDs have lasted well over 7000 miles without a change.

Sorry for the late reply.

SPD cleats will last a lot longer, as they are metal.

Both SPD-SL and Look cleats are plastic, and will not last as long. They also aren't intended to be walked on, unlike standard SPD cleats.

They are easier to clip out of, the trade off is that the highest tension isn't as high. They have a spring in them, and if you compare the lowest and highest spring tensions, the Light Action ones will be lower.

Soldato
They are easier to clip out of, the trade off is that the highest tension isn't as high. They have a spring in them, and if you compare the lowest and highest spring tensions, the Light Action ones will be lower.

Ah right. I'm tempted to just try them anyway seeing as I have them now. Although, not so sure on the shoes! They arrived and fit OK but I have to do the ratchet all the way up which would suggest they aren't the best of fits.

I thought going same brand/size as my MTB shoes would work.

For workstands I spotted this the other day: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrasport-331300000203-Work-Stand-Expert/dp/B00CJY8RL4/r

Looks fairly good for the price... similar to Aldi/LIDL stands?

Man of Honour
Argh, I really want one tonight/tomorrow and that one from Merlin is DPD delivery which I'm never home to sign for.

May just bite the bullet and get a Park Tools one from Halfords after work along with some cleaning bits.

Soldato
That Cervelo needs some Enve deepness!

How do you find the Archetypes? I've been considering them for my single-speed commuter but at more than double the cost of a cheap wheelset I'm not sold.

I have a set of Enve 65 Tubs with the DT240 hub for racing on. I still need to glue a rear tyre and clean a bit of old glue off.... Just time consuming, I'm not racing very well at the minute as my training has been off and I don't seem on it (blame winter).

I like the Archetypes, a 28H rear may be a bit better for me, but it's only just gone slightly out of true after 3 years, just widened the calliper to compensate. With my powertap hub I was stuck with 24H.

Brake track shows a bit of wear but not much. No broken spokes, nipples or issues, but that could be due to good wheel builder as well.

I was happy enough to get the front wheel built up to match the rear a couple of months ago with a white industries t11 hub. If I had a crank power metre or pedals then I would be happy with a WI rear hub.

The rim weight is average, but longevity seems very good, pretty easy to fit tyres to as well. With flash hubs I guess you'd be looking at 1500-1700g, maybe 1700-2000g with lower quality heavier hubs.

For what I have spent I could have got a set of C24s, but I don't know if I could have done almost 30'000km on a set of them with no maintenance, I think the rims would have gone out of true and worn faster as a trade off for the lower weight.

I think bang for buck something like a Fulcrum 3 or 5 or an Ultegra 6800 is the best.

Workstands I have the Feedback Sports 'Sport' stand, it's about a hundred quid but I've been using it a few years and it feels as good as new. Can't compare to anything else I'm afraid but the quality is nice.

Last edited:
Soldato
Certainly can't miss the Rapha Brevit jersey!!

Turned up today with the Long sleeve jersey. Will return the long sleeve jersey as it's a bit neat on me. The Brevit one is a more relaxed fit and fits fine on me.

IMAG1864.jpg

Man of Honour
Nice, how much did you pay?

I have two dhb tops however I can't seem to find any decent high viz ones and I fancy a couple for the winter.

Soldato
Nice, how much did you pay?

I have two dhb tops however I can't seem to find any decent high viz ones and I fancy a couple for the winter.

Rapha are on the high end of things price wise, but they have a sale on at the moment. They have a brevet JLT Condor like the one above but in black for £50 which is a bargain.

I just got a brevet wind stopper jersey, my first Rapha piece and got to say the quality and fit is top notch.

Soldato
Cheers :) Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about those. Hopefully it won't be too bad.. :s

Thanks again for the very generous donation btw :)

Setting off shortly. Horrendous outside. Woo.

No problem at all, I had a friend who had cancer who was looked after in his last days by MacMillan nurses, so it's a very worthy cause to me.

Soldato
I dont know where abouts you are Dooksy, but I'd pop round and help you (i'm sure others would if I'm not near you)
He's not a million miles away from me, around an hour by car...

To be honest it's a really frustrating thing to learn, persevering, learning and having the time to do it will pay dividends long term. For now (if you feel you've spent too much time already on it & don't have the patience) then a trip to a LBS will have it sorted very quickly. A good local shop may even show/tutor you! :)
Set the H/L limit screws (again on both rings at either end of the cassette and release the cable, screw the barrel adjuster all the way in.

Pull the cable as tight as you can and clamp.

Shift on to the big ring unscrewing the in line adjuster to increase tension if needed to get it to jump.
I probably need to do my new bike again as can't get my trim to work well/if at all. I'm also finding the cassette/chain combo (5800 & KMC) really 'tinny' when it comes to changing. Hoping it'll change with some miles in them else I can see me changing the chain early.
it wasn't a shared one like Roady :)p)
:rolleyes:

I'm going to hit that KOM properly (from the road, rather than cycle path & having to negotiate a corner & kerb drop!)
And it's built! 'Budget' TT bike!
Looks good, you going to keep riding it with those box rims so someone else feels sorry and offers you some deep rims? ;)

If you were in the UK I'd offer up my Rovals... :o
Off to Newcastle in an hour or two in prep for the 24 hour ride.

...and, as predicted, utterly cack weather has set in after a week of sunshine. Argh.
Good luck! Remember, there's no such thing as bad weather, only badly chosen clothing. :o:p:D:rolleyes:

Man of Honour
He's not a million miles away from me, around an hour by car...

To be honest it's a really frustrating thing to learn, persevering, learning and having the time to do it will pay dividends long term. For now (if you feel you've spent too much time already on it & don't have the patience) then a trip to a LBS will have it sorted very quickly. A good local shop may even show/tutor you! :)

Thanks but I'd rather just swear some more and learn the hard way. Part of the issue is not having a decent stand, I'm constantly fighting the tyre rubbing on the floor or something hitting the stand.

I'm having another go tonight, the only way I'll manage to do it myself down the line is if I just grin and bear it.

Incidentally the bike is coming up 2 years old now, so I've booked in at Eastgate Cycles next Friday so if I don't manage to do it then it'll be covered as part of their intermediate service.

http://www.eastgatecycles.co.uk/work-shop/

I've got the tyres/tubes to change yet... :D

Soldato
Spent 3 hours trying to fit SKS Chromoplastics to my Diverge. Rear is perfect after some fettling (drilling larger holes & cutting down stays). Front is an utter nightmare. On the rear I was able to mount fitted directly to the frame mounting holes. Due to the mounting points on the front fork being infront of the thru-axle I can't mount them there, as the SKS fittings will not clear the thru-axle on the drive side.

Specialized do little mini-lugs which attach with a grub screw into the bottom of the fork to give you a mudguard eyelet to the rear of the fork. Thankfully my Diverge came with them (saves €40 for some tiny simple adaptors)! BUT... Fitting them, the grub screw point (in the bottom of the fork) is too far 'forwards' so the 'tail' of the adaptor is only held by a fraction of a mm on 1 side, the other side it won't grab at all! Gah! :rolleyes::eek:

Several guys in this STW thread have fitted the 'Specialized Fenders' V1 & V2 which have solid stays fitting directly into these adaptors mount holes rather than using the adaptors themselves. I might end up replicating this idea 'as a last resort'. The Chromoplastics have 2 stays on the front guard, making it nice and stable and avoiding lots of noise. So I'm trying to figure out how I can keep them... I chose the Chromoplastics as I'd prefer using SKS guards after lots of grief with 2 Giant branded sets on my Defy which I eventually used SKS guards for!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom