*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
New years gym goers are starting to fizzle out :/ talked to a few of them about powerlifting so hopefully they'll come back and give it a shot!

If you're a resolutioner who wants to keep going to the gym but is struggling to find motivation then try find a class or a gym buddy or at the very least a program with some form of progression to keep you motivated!

Every single person in that gym started where you are now, you're just at the stage where you're probably not seeing progress yet and going into the gym you might have no sense of what to do; talk to the instructors, talk to the members or just jump in and sign up for some classes, you're so close to seeing change.

Just keep going!

Associate
Have you seen a proper sports physio? I.e. a physio that is attached to a football/rugby/rowing team?

Been through quite a few, many are quacks, but have found one who is good. NHS consultant by day, private business by night. Its very interesting that he dismisses certain NHS guidelines and explains why - must be frustrating by day for him to recommend things he disagrees with.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sure there are good ones out there in the system but from my own personal experience most of the NHS ones I've seen have been rubbish.

Man of Honour
OP
Been through quite a few, many are quacks, but have found one who is good. NHS consultant by day, private business by night. Its very interesting that he dismisses certain NHS guidelines and explains why - must be frustrating by day for him to recommend things he disagrees with.

I'm sure there are good ones out there in the system but from my own personal experience most of the NHS ones I've seen have been rubbish.

Which is why I didn't ask if you had been to an NHS physio. ;)

Associate
Oh seriously - actual NHS physio is terrible, I had a mandatory 6 weeks with them after surgery. The guy I'm seeing privately is a spinal consultant at the NHS, not a physio.

Man of Honour
OP
Oh seriously - actual NHS physio is terrible, I had a mandatory 6 weeks with them after surgery. The guy I'm seeing privately is a spinal consultant at the NHS, not a physio.

Which is, again, why I had asked if you had seen a proper physio.

Edit: the reason I ask is that - abstractly - a hammer will see every problem as a nail...

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi guys

Looking to get into shape, currently 113kg and 6ft 4 and got a gut :(. So first goal is to get a flat belly and no man boobs. Started eating right on Monday and is going well. Is it best to do cardio and weights at the same time?

Man of Honour
OP
Hi guys

Looking to get into shape, currently 113kg and 6ft 4 and got a gut :(. So first goal is to get a flat belly and no man boobs. Started eating right on Monday and is going well. Is it best to do cardio and weights at the same time?

Weights are better, but there is nothing wrong with doing both if you want to lose weight. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Cool thanks :) Any supplements worth getting or not bother at this stage?

Scratch the itch if you want, but there is little practical benefit.

Useful ones are Vitamin D3 in high concentration (if you live in this country, everybody should take it) - those 10k UI tabs... And maybe creatine if you are prepared to take it religiously.

And that is pretty much it if your diet is good. :)

Associate
Scratch the itch if you want, but there is little practical benefit.

Useful ones are Vitamin D3 in high concentration (if you live in this country, everybody should take it) - those 10k UI tabs... And maybe creatine if you are prepared to take it religiously.

And that is pretty much it if your diet is good. :)

I take 3 of them everyday with 'breakfast'

Have you 'felt' any difference with taking more or less?

Soldato
NEVER ask cardio and weights at the same time. Have you ever tried to do overhead press whilst running on the treadmill? Dangerous! :p

If you know how to perform certain exercises (and perform them with good form), is to do a beginners routine like Stronglift. This focuses on your core compound movements, such as Bench press, Overhead Press, Deadlifts and Squats.

Soldato
Out of the best for losing weight then cardio is better than weights. But just do a mix of both, either weights then a bit of carido after or a day for cardio and a day for weights. As for sups, I wouldn't really bother most are more a placebo then anything.

Soldato
My wrist is definitely still not 100% which is very worrying after 7 months but it should hold up so long as I avoid certain movements. Besides it doesn't affect the big compound lifts so even less excuse not to concentrate on those.

Back
Top Bottom