• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
any dates yet for the supposed update that will help with some of the ram issues for zen? itching to jump on board - got a bench full of shiny new watercooling gear just begging for something to cool!
Some boards are on AEGSA 1.0.0.4 and 1.0.0.6 is already out so expect a week or so.

Personally waiting a confirmation of someone who experienced a weird behaviour with his MSI Titanium and the infinity fabric.

By using two sided dual channel 2x16gb ram @3000 C13 his perf (fps in games and benchmarks) was 15% higher than single sided 2x8gb @ 3200 C13 perf.
Which was 10% higher than the same Ram working as 2400C12

Soldato
Some boards are on AEGSA 1.0.0.4 and 1.0.0.6 is already out so expect a week or so.

Personally waiting a confirmation of someone who experienced a weird behaviour with his MSI Titanium and the infinity fabric.

By using two sided dual channel 2x16gb ram @3000 C13 his perf (fps in games and benchmarks) was 15% higher than single sided 2x8gb @ 3200 C13 perf.

1.0.0.6? You sure? AMD haven't announced 1.0.0.5 yet!

Soldato

ohhh a week, sounds good. :D

Associate
One R5 1600 sitting on my desk! Now I just need to decide on a mobo.. & ram:p I can push the boat out for a mid-range X370 but I just can't decide if I should, or if I should just get a B350!

Soldato
One R5 1600 sitting on my desk! Now I just need to decide on a mobo.. & ram:p I can push the boat out for a mid-range X370 but I just can't decide if I should, or if I should just get a B350!
in much the same boat - definitely going with the R5 1600 and likely the team group ram used in the 8pack bundles, but i'll be stuffed if I can figure out which motherboard to go with. not prepared to drop 240ish on CH6 as I don't know what benefits i'll see over say a 140 board.

Soldato
in much the same boat - definitely going with the R5 1600 and likely the team group ram used in the 8pack bundles, but i'll be stuffed if I can figure out which motherboard to go with. not prepared to drop 240ish on CH6 as I don't know what benefits i'll see over say a 140 board.

The main benefit over the others for me was the support and update speed. It is the best board at the minute and has received more attention than any other. Once the other manufacturers have caught up then the only difference worth noting will be the blck adjustment. Overclock capabilities seem the same. If zen2 comes and requires better VRM's for overclocks then the investment would have been worth it. Thing is we don't really know :/

Soldato
The main benefit over the others for me was the support and update speed. It is the best board at the minute and has received more attention than any other. Once the other manufacturers have caught up then the only difference worth noting will be the blck adjustment. Overclock capabilities seem the same. If zen2 comes and requires better VRM's for overclocks then the investment would have been worth it. Thing is we don't really know :/

Hmmm. So, if I'm reading that correctly, the CH6 is really only beneficial to early adopters then?

Soldato
Hmmm. So, if I'm reading that correctly, the CH6 is really only beneficial to early adopters then?

At present I'd say that's correct. The crosshair by far has the better memory support but all boards will catch up. Then the other features are bclk adjustment and better and cooler running vrms. This may make a difference with future CPUs but we do not know yet.

Soldato

Even though AMD said all B350 motherboards should be fine with the R5 series,I have seen reports that some motherboards need a BIOS update to work with them!! From what I gather the MSI B350 Tomahawk(not the white one) supports Ryzen 5 with the initial BIOS revision.

Soldato
At present I'd say that's correct. The crosshair by far has the better memory support but all boards will catch up. Then the other features are bclk adjustment and better and cooler running vrms. This may make a difference with future CPUs but we do not know yet.
Coolio. Probably not for me then. I'd imagine if I decided to replace my cpu it wouldn't for at least a couple of years and by that stage I'm guessing advancements in motherboard technology would mean I'd want a shiny new board anyway.
So still stuck deciding which board to go for for! guess I'll have to hang fire a bit longer to see what the next round of bios updates bring and see how quickly the board vendors are to implement them on the mid range x370 boards.

Soldato
Coolio. Probably not for me then. I'd imagine if I decided to replace my cpu it wouldn't for at least a couple of years and by that stage I'm guessing advancements in motherboard technology would mean I'd want a shiny new board anyway.
So still stuck deciding which board to go for for! guess I'll have to hang fire a bit longer to see what the next round of bios updates bring and see how quickly the board vendors are to implement them on the mid range x370 boards.

The best 350 board seems to be the MSI tomahawk the best x370 is the crosshair. I'd suggest looking over each manufacturers support forums and see what the biggest complaints are. But like I said all will come good with updates. Honestly I'd recommend that people spend more time researching the memory rather than the board. Samsung b die is the best option for any board.

Soldato
The best 350 board seems to be the MSI tomahawk the best x370 is the crosshair. I'd suggest looking over each manufacturers support forums and see what the biggest complaints are. But like I said all will come good with updates. Honestly I'd recommend that people spend more time researching the memory rather than the board. Samsung b die is the best option for any board.

yea was seeing that about the Samsung b die mems - is there any easy way to work out who is using the Samsung b die and who isn't?

Soldato
How can support for Ryzen 7 and 5 differ? they are the same chip.

I thought so too,until I started doing some research for a mate's gaming build based around an R5 1600/R5 1600X.

People have plonked in the Ryzen 5 chips in some B350 motherboards and it wouldn't boot(but Ryzen 7 would) - then you look at some of the BIOS revisions and they only show official support using later BIOSes. At this point I really don't understand why it should be an issue - so in the end I found the MSI B350 Tomahawk should be fine(in theory) and suggested that.

Edit!!

I will report back when he does the build.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just spent the last hour trying to fix Prototype 2 (As I've never played it, and I'm trying to get into the habit of playing through my backlog via streaming to my 55"). I had to disable SMT. I only found the fix because someone suggested elsewhere about disabling HT.

All it would do is crash at the first video.
Afterwards it's loaded up fine.

Back
Top Bottom