***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Caporegime
I see the rainforst now has the z35p up for pre-order with a price of £999. Due 29th May apparently.

Nice!! Although I was expecting closer to £900 as it's about 990 euros on the continent

With it doing 120Hz at 3440res I'd be tempted to make the switch tbh. That speed would be more than good enough for some time to come, esp with me having a Ti :)

Last edited:
Associate
Is buying an X34a worth it now and using it for a couple of years until 4k/Oled/HDR/100+HZ/Ultrawide monitors become more standard (and cheaper!!).

I have only ever sampled 2x 1080p TN @ 60hz without any adaptive sync technology so assume a jump up to an Ultrawide 100hz 1440p with Gsync will give me the biggest upgrade in one go. I probably could live with a bit of IPS Glow and backbleed.

Or should I just get a 40ish inch 4k HDR TV to game on but downside being higher input lag, 60hz and harder to push 4k. I have never seen above 60hz or seen Gsync in action so might get away with it! I am in the process in stepping up to a 1080ti from a 1070 so might help keep up at 4k with mid settings(was going to be a 1080! glad I waited).

Mainly use it 50/50 gaming and watching media. Games are varied like GTA, BF1 , CSGO and Witcher 3.
I also use a PS4 which I would plug into the HDMI and will live with the bars!

I took delivery of a x34a yesterday and I'm blown away by it. Really is a stunning screen. I highly recommend it.
I picked it up new for £713 delivered. That price is made by using all the new customer offers currently live on a catalogue that's pink ;)
You ain't getting the new generation of screen for anywhere near that price :)

Associate
Wow that is a good price! Glad to hear you like it.

That's my thought, I don't expect a 4k Gsync with 60+Hz/Oled monitors being close to £1000 this or next year! Well at least with current trend in pricing.

Maybe when the next adaptive sync TV's come out then maybe we will see monitors come at a more reasonable price unless these TV's cost a fortune too!

Associate
Just after abit of advise really, I am looking for a new monitor well infact actually looking for a pair of screens, I have only ever gamed in 1080p 60hz and about 6 months ago I got a ASUS MX27UQ and whilst the 4k and picture quality is awesome I guess I am missing out big time in terms of the refresh rate and no Nvidia Gsync assuming these 2 things a lot would make a huge difference.

Just wondering if I am looking for a pair of screens what would be the best bet? 2 x X34A or something else? Just after some recommendatios really.

Price wise £1000 per screen and I would be buying one then waiting a couple of months and getting the 2nd screen.

Cheers in advance.

Soldato
I just ordered the Asus MX34VQ and its arriving later today. Looking forward to see what this VA panel can muster. I am what you would call cautiously optimistic. Still haven't forgotten that **** poor samsung va monitor i tried in late 2016.

Caporegime
OP
I just ordered the Asus MX34VQ and its arriving later today. Looking forward to see what this VA panel can muster. I am what you would call cautiously optimistic. Still haven't forgotten that **** poor samsung va monitor i tried in late 2016.
If you are referring to Samsung's first 34" 1440 VA monitor then prepare to be disappointed as iirc, the asus and all the other 100HZ 34" VA monitors are using the exact same panel as that.... (except for Samsung's newest 34" quantom dot one)

Soldato
If you are referring to Samsung's first 34" 1440 VA monitor then prepare to be disappointed as iirc, the asus and all the other 100HZ 34" VA monitors are using the exact same panel as that.... (except for Samsung's newest 34" quantom dot one)

No i'm referring to a 1080p monitor from samsung known as C27F396FHU. Granted it is a cheapo monitor but it's so bad it is not even worth half the asking price. Weird part is every review i've seen says nothing but good things about it. This time i've gone by PCM2's review mostly and what scarce youtube footage there has been.

Caporegime
OP
No i'm referring to a 1080p monitor from samsung known as C27F396FHU. Granted it is a cheapo monitor but it's so bad it is not even worth half the asking price. Weird part is every review i've seen says nothing but good things about it. This time i've gone by PCM2's review mostly and what scarce youtube footage there has been.

Ah I see!

Look forward to hearing how the asus holds up, the trailing/motion is pretty much the only thing that puts me of VA panels atm.

Soldato
Ah I see!

Look forward to hearing how the asus holds up, the trailing/motion is pretty much the only thing that puts me of VA panels atm.

Well so fare the monitor is absolutely fantastic. There is only an ever so slight amount of overshot on one of the darker transitions and you really have to look for it. No dead pixels, the speakers sound very good for monitor speakers but cannot of course compare to a proper sound system. No visible backlight bleed either though I cannot check this in full until its dark outside.

On a side note: Bought a 580 to crossfire my 480 with and what a headache it is. Far Cry Primal seems to run fine but thats its. Cannot get Prey, BF1 to behave correctly and The Surge straight up wont work. Time to tinker :S

Caporegime
OP
Well so fare the monitor is absolutely fantastic. There is only an ever so slight amount of overshot on one of the darker transitions and you really have to look for it. No dead pixels, the speakers sound very good for monitor speakers but cannot of course compare to a proper sound system. No visible backlight bleed either though I cannot check this in full until its dark outside.

On a side note: Bought a 580 to crossfire my 480 with and what a headache it is. Far Cry Primal seems to run fine but thats its. Cannot get Prey, BF1 to behave correctly and The Surge straight up wont work. Time to tinker :S

Nice! How's the IQ/colours compare to the previous IPS panels you've used as well as the anti glare coating?

Soldato
Nice! How's the IQ/colours compare to the previous IPS panels you've used as well as the anti glare coating?

I find the coating good, ever so slighty grainy when viewing pure white but its very little and to me not annoying. Colours are good but of course not IPS level good but a whole lot better than the TNs. Blacks are absolutely awesome though. In regards to text I havent setup cleartype yet but ill come back later and report once i have.

What annoyes me more than anything is the AMD LFC feature. The monitor flickers like a mad man when LFC is triggering. Would rather just enter vsync on or off if i got below range.

Associate
X34a Owners: My monitor doesn't seem to auto power down when I turn off the PC. I have to press the power button on the screen. Is this the same on yours?
I only picked up this screen last week and all my previous screens shut down automatically.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom