What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Independence Day: Resurgence.

I'm going to go massively against the grain here and admit that I actually quite enjoyed it. So cheesy it could have been sponsored by Dairylea, but I had a fun little 2 hours watching it. I'm going to go 5/10.

The way that sequel has been setup is a great opportunity for a great film if done right. A final interstellar warfare showdown sounds like just the ticket to me.

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Much better than the original, despite sharing similar flaws.

Associate
Alien: Covenant

I thought it was great. However, the first act was almost a carbon copy of Alien. The first introduction to the neomorph was nice and thrilling. Dipped a little in the middle but the last third was also very enjoyable. Would have liked to have seen more of the xenomorph.

8/10

Caporegime
A Dog's Purpose

Screened for free on hols. According to my gf it missed a lot of exposition from the book, but was still enjoyable. Trailer kinda spoils the ending, plus the ending is changed to by typical US happily-ever-after (like the non-Director's cut of Butterfly Effect).

6 woofs out of 10

Soldato
Alien Conenant 6/10

Nothing we haven't seen before, entirely predictable right from the off. It looked good and the action scenes were superb but it did drag and I never felt any tension because the plot was so predictable.

Caporegime
Ice Station Zebra

I generally like cold war set films and it's been years since I saw this so I gave it another go. It's from 1968 and this shows in quite a few places but the story is still decent enough. Patrick McGoohan makes a fairly good go of being a British spy but the rest of the cast are pretty stiff as a whole.

6/10

Last edited:
Associate
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

Loved it. Very entertaining! Yes, it took some huge liberties with he Arthurian legend, but I took it as it's own story.

Looked good and the music was great.

9/10, my first this year I think :)

Caporegime
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

Loved it. Very entertaining! Yes, it took some huge liberties with he Arthurian legend, but I took it as it's own story.

Looked good and the music was great.

9/10, my first this year I think :)

Was Beckham as bad as everyone is making him out to be? :p

Associate
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017) - 4/10

Some interesting ideas, but it doesn’t really work with Guy Ritchie’s signature style.

Weak dialogue, weak acting, weak plot and although it does show some good action scenes, it skips over the more interesting ones.

The special effects and style is very dark and artistic, but lacks true originality, and it clashes with the “London geezers” and their lighter-hearted antics.

Man of Honour
Resident Evil

The series became absolutely ludicrous but the first film is extremely watchable and surprisingly solid! One of those films where everyone tries to collectively make their way out of a terrible situation (not unlike Alien Resurrection) but notable IMO for conjuring a sense intrigue with the 'amnesia' of the leads. The zombie action is pretty average but the non-zombie moments are really fun (e.g. the intro sequence and the lasers).

The CGI is (sadly or fortunately) laughably bad now and there is some (for better or worse) foreshadowing towards the dumbness of the later films with the lead roundhouse kicking a zombie dog in the head. If you can get over that, it's very fun.

In any case the ending 'epilogue' scene is brilliant. So much effort put in for such a small section of the film.

7.5 from me.
6.5 from company.

Caporegime
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017) - 4/10

Some interesting ideas, but it doesn’t really work with Guy Ritchie’s signature style.

Weak dialogue, weak acting, weak plot and although it does show some good action scenes, it skips over the more interesting ones.

The special effects and style is very dark and artistic, but lacks true originality, and it clashes with the “London geezers” and their lighter-hearted antics.

I would agree with this.

It's errrr, meh, we all know what's going to happen, we all know the story, the way it got there is just meh.

Also, weird as this sounds, there are some section that felt like he totally cut something like 20mins down to 2 mins but weirdly I also feel the film felt long. All the cockney talk just doesn't work either.

Caporegime
Jason Bourne. I could barely tell you what happened or why. Two absurdly hard people chase each other around the world while one tries to unpick a CIA conspiracy and the other tries to stop him. So, you know, it's the Bourne Supremacy all over again. Pointless.

Associate
Nocturnal Animals - 7/10

Whilst I enjoyed it, and after A Single Man would certainly watch out for more Tom Ford films, ultimately by the end I was left somewhat dissatisified. The two stories almost felt like short stories to me. The acting was great though.

Associate
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Slowly working through the Harry Potter films with my eldest daughter.

We both enjoyed it. I've seen them all before but it adds to the enjoyment sharing the experience with one of my girls, my youngest girl is too young for them.

8/10

Back
Top Bottom