What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Hmmmm..... not sure how anyone could have watched the Arrival trailer and expected an ID4 type film.
95% of that trailer is slow talky thinky stuff which is exactly right, with just a couple of shots of planes and a single explosion.

Still, each to their own I guess. At least you still enjoyed it with a 7/10 :)

Soldato
10 Cloverfield Lane

The hints to the original Cloverfield were what I found most interesting. In the end it turned out to be pretty run of the mill, and should have just been a standalone film.

6/10

Soldato
It was originally a stand alone film. The cloverfield connection was retro fitted.

This movie was fantastic right up until the penultimate scene, when 'movie physics' ruined it.

It did feel like it was retrofitted. Without the additions, I think the film would have been pretty boring. In parts they added a bit of mystery to it (in a similar vein to Lost), but then other times were too far-fetched. A half decent film the first time, but it has zero rewatchability for me.

Caporegime
"The Thing" 2011

Meh, its a prequel to the 82 movie and the ending during the credits leads up to just before that. What i found amusing was they find a Massive Alien Spacecraft (that they somehow estimate has been there 100,000 years) with an ice encased Alien pilot (that they soon discover is still alive), yet the first time someone mentions its cloning them after they're attacked you hear the line "That's impossible". Yeah because all the events of the day so far had been pretty much normal and not stretching the imagination at all :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Soldato
Two for me:-

Forrest Gump - One of my favourite films, just brilliant. It does drag a little towards the end though but the first hour is sublime. 5/5

My Scientology Movie - Really liked Louis Theroux here, like usual he didn't ever say that he though Scientology was wrong or stupid, he just showed how they reacted to his questions and visits and let themselves show that they are wrong and stupid. Really interesting and good fun too. 4/5

Associate
Alien Covenant : 4/10 what a waste of £12 , makes Prometheus seem pretty good.
I knew i should have waited for it to come on sky.

Soldato
Alien Covenant : 4/10 what a waste of £12 , makes Prometheus seem pretty good.
Wasn't quite that bad... but they still tried to do too much, shoehorning plot in while adopting a Marvel Superhero kind of cinematography and totally ignoring the human characters. Highly forgettable, despite having a couple of rather cute actresses...!!

Ridley has really gone up his own backside... Sooner they give Neil Blom the go-ahead, the better.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Wasn't quite that bad... but they still tried to do too much, shoehorning plot in while adopting a Marvel Superhero kind of cinematography and totally ignoring the human characters. Highly forgettable, despite having a couple of rather cute actresses...!!

Ridley has really gone up his own backside... Sooner they give Neil Blom the go-ahead, the better.

Couldnt agree more but rumours has it Neil's project been quashed as the studio is going with Ridley Scott's ideas and direction. Not 100% how accurate that is.

I enjoyed the movie on most part but there was some absolute ludicrious moments which detracted the tone of the movie. Mr Bean would have been proud. I am holding out hoping that the next film Alien Awakening would fill in the gaps but i doubt it. I still enjoyed it and would probably rate it 7/10.

Associate
Alien Covenant (2017) - 7/10

Shot in the classic “Alien” style, the setting and special effects are great, especially those involving the Alien.

The scenes with the Alien are very effective, as they build up the suspense before shocking you with violent action and gore.

The story is relatively simple but with a slow, confusing start and although it does explain more about the origins of the Alien, it doesn’t cover any new ground with its themes or concepts.

The ending feels tacked on, most of the crew are instantly forgettable, and although the strong female lead evokes Ripley, it lacks originality and conviction.

Caporegime
Independence Day: Resurgence.

I'm going to go massively against the grain here and admit that I actually quite enjoyed it. So cheesy it could have been sponsored by Dairylea, but I had a fun little 2 hours watching it. I'm going to go 5/10.

The way that sequel has been setup is a great opportunity for a great film if done right. A final interstellar warfare showdown sounds like just the ticket to me.

Soldato
After being reminded of a film by yesterdays Filmwise Invisibles I watched

42 : 8/10

Based on the true story of Jackie Robinson, the first black MLB player in 1946

Stunning cast really, just about everyone in it you will go 'I recognise him!'

I do have a positive bias towards Baseball films but this was more about the rampant racism in America at the time, with a bit of sporting drama. Very good.

Permabanned
Bladerunner

Needed to remind myself that Ridley Scott can be great when he's on form before seeing Covenant tomorrow...

Can't believe how well this film's aged. The aesthetic of the thing gives me nostalgia for an era I barely lived in! (The 80s I mean, not 2019 ;P)

There's some bits I still don't like. Deckard is strangely underdeveloped as a protagonist and I refuse to believe that's by design. The pacing is a little off from time to time and I still believe the third act to be a little flabby. But it's undeniably a damn classic in every respect. Can't wait for 2049!!!

Associate
Bladerunner

Needed to remind myself that Ridley Scott can be great when he's on form before seeing Covenant tomorrow...

Can't believe how well this film's aged. The aesthetic of the thing gives me nostalgia for an era I barely lived in! (The 80s I mean, not 2019 ;P)

There's some bits I still don't like. Deckard is strangely underdeveloped as a protagonist and I refuse to believe that's by design. The pacing is a little off from time to time and I still believe the third act to be a little flabby. But it's undeniably a damn classic in every respect. Can't wait for 2049!!!
I also watched Blade Runner the other night also. Definitely aged well and since it being the first time I have watched it since I was younger, you can see how modern films and games have taken huge inspiration from its production design.

Soldato
Bladerunner

I also watched Blade Runner the other night also. Definitely aged well and since it being the first time I have watched it since I was younger, you can see how modern films and games have taken huge inspiration from its production design.

TBF, it should be Doug Trumbull you should be crediting with the look and aesthetic of Blade Runner. He's had a big influence in how movies have looked for decades.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom