What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Jason Bourne. I could barely tell you what happened or why. Two absurdly hard people chase each other around the world while one tries to unpick a CIA conspiracy and the other tries to stop him. So, you know, it's the Bourne Supremacy all over again. Pointless.

As Matt Damon said in 2012, 'if they do another it would have to be called The Bourne Redundancy'.

Associate
Colossal (2017) - I honestly don't know how I feel about it/10

It’s different. It's definitely different, but although there are some humorous moments, I wouldn’t call it a comedy.

It’s a character study with a quirky plot mechanic. Interesting to watch, but not particularly enjoyable or pleasant because of the characters and the subject matter.

Strong acting and a good ending, but not at all what I was expecting.

Caporegime
Colossal (2017) - I honestly don't know how I feel about it/10

It’s different. It's definitely different, but although there are some humorous moments, I wouldn’t call it a comedy.

It’s a character study with a quirky plot mechanic. Interesting to watch, but not particularly enjoyable or pleasant because of the characters and the subject matter.

Strong acting and a good ending, but not at all what I was expecting.

I really want to see this!

Soldato
Ben Hur (2015) not as bad as I thought it would be. 7.5/10
Also, an indy type film called Hector, about a homeless guy.Much better than I was expecting, thought provoking with some decent actors in it. 8.5/10

Soldato
Jason Bourne. I could barely tell you what happened or why. Two absurdly hard people chase each other around the world while one tries to unpick a CIA conspiracy and the other tries to stop him. So, you know, it's the Bourne Supremacy all over again. Pointless.

I thought this too. Not really sure what purpose the film actually had apart from introduce a new agent.

Soldato
Dead man's shoes. It's strange, the 3 friends seem too calm even though they are on borrowed time, it's like they aren't bothered. Good film though.

Soldato
Buffalo '66

A film that's been on my watchlist since release and finally got round to watching it. Powerful, humorous, poignant, resonating - it spanned a wide range of feelings. The way it is shot is unlike anything I've seen before. A masterpiece.

9/10

Soldato
Alien Covenant. 8/10 for me.

This is Alien back to it's best, a good mix up of the original's visceral horror, Aliens' action set-pieces, and some of the lore aspect from Prometheus but without being overbearing and taking away from what Alien films are all about, xenomorphs exploding out of people.

Great performances from Fassbender again, supplementary cast also very good.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
I really want to see this!

It's good mate, may not be everyone's cup of tea but you may be pleasantly surprised

Colossal- 8/10 for me. Anne Hathaway plays a down to earth out of control drunk where she tries to turn her life around except there a problem........... Anyway her performance was pretty surprising, never really rated her probably because I haven't watched many of her movies. It is definitely different and could be split to 2 acts. It has an usual plot mechanic but in a strange way it kind of works. Very satisfying ending and I quite enjoyed it.

King Arthur - 7/10. It is definitely a mixed bag here with strong signature traits like most Guy Ritchie movies. There was a lot of negativity around this movie so I went into the film not expecting too much and in my opinion definitely wasn't as bad as some made out. Perhaps it's biggest flaw is it tries a little too hard and is overly ambitious, there is heavy use of CGI but when you make a film entrenched in a fantasy theme, it is understandable what he was trying to do. I do agree in parts it is messy and some questionable cameos which I won't go into. However there are appealing moments too which does pull off (just) with typical witty dialogue (which isn't everyone's cup of tea) and clever use of score and sounds. Unfortunately it does stumble because of the clunky pacing but it's definitely worth a watch if you like Ritchie movies.

Last edited:
Associate
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I'm loving these this time around with my daughter. Probably be a few weeks till we get the chance to watch the next one.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Alien: Covenant
It's Ridley Scott, so was bound to be good anyway, and indeed it is. but it felt very lacking of Xenomorphs, and had absolutely huge plot wholes in the script that made you go "why do that? It's blatantly obvious" to the point where you just had to roll your eyes through a few scenes. It didn't have the feel of a true Alien film I feel, and some of the CGI was quite poor. We saw it at a Cineworld screen, a new cinema, so nice big screens and huge theatre with amazing sound. On the whole a really enjoyable movie, but don't expect the same level of movie as what we've seen with the original movies. This is more Prometheus 1.2 than Alien.

I'd give it 7/10 for the script, but 8/10 for the Sci-Fi factor, the gore and the tense moments in the vacuum of space. I enjoyed seeing a lot of the ship, nods to the film's themes, and nostalgia of the previous films as well as playing Alien: Isolation.

The characters in this movie have been scripted to do things that Ripley would think twice about, and that's what bugged me the most.

Kidnap
Halle Berry returns to the screen in being a total bad-ass and not letting kidnappers get away with her kid. It started off quite average, a mum finds her son has been kidnapped, she loses her ****m you get the idea. I enjoyed the chase scenes, as well as some of the thriller aspects, as they keep you guessing as to what is about to happen. Props to some really nice cinematography showing nice views of the landscape.

7/10 overall, an enjoyable thrill ride.

Associate
The new Arthur film from Guy Ritche - 5/10

I liked some of it but it needed to be longer and can you have fewer montages and more word building?

My local Odeon is not showing Collossal, have to drive 60miles to the nearest one to see it.

Might have been cheaper to go to another chain locally.

Collosal - 7/10

The only thing i knew about this was that the director from Timecrimes wrote this and directed it. So i went to see it. Was pleasantly surprised.

Back
Top Bottom