• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Skylake-X Lineup Leaked: i9-7980XE 18 Core Flagship Processor

Soldato
OP
Judging by how much info we have on the 10 core part vs the rest I think its fair to say that Intel never had any intention of offering more cores this year if it wasn't for ryzen. TBH if AMD had managed to keep a lid on all the leaks regarding threadripper I honestly think intel would have launched with a 10 core part being the top spec one.

Indeed. In Intel's original Skylake-X plans; 10 core was the main flagship model.

Skylake-X%20mobo%20features%202_zpskubrclbu.png

GAC

GAC

Soldato
The funny bit is that the lower end KabyLakeX doesn't even support quad channel ram. Only dual channel. There is point for them in the HEDT platform

yeah the lower end stuff is some sort of bizarre stop gap cpu line i think just to have them there. the more info i see on these the less i feel coffee lake will be a worthy investment come aug/sep as i bet come the next die shink (cannon lake??) we get yet another new socket and have to buy a cpu and mobo rather than just a new cpu unlike with am4 which is supposed to be around for a while at least.

Soldato
Oh my...in Cinebench the Ryzen 1600 seems to be better clock for clock than the new 7800X.

Looks like AMD's SMT being better again in some multithreaded loads. Will be interesting to see what the single core performance is.

1600x @ 5445 MHz - 1837
7800x @ 5700 MHz - 1874

abKgM9y.jpg
Yx2Exeh.jpg

Soldato
yeah the 4 core is rather silly but what we have to remember is these chips are on a high end platform with all the bells and whistles you can think off, also it was brought forward due to ryzen so this is intel pushing stuff out faster as a stop gap, id expect a more rounded response sometime towards the end of next year, but id wait for coffee lake to see a more sensibly priced cpu v ryzen 1700 and 1800's. and yes thats if intel dont have a stroke and try charging too much.

it's not a 'high end platform' if you running 16 pci lanes, 4c/4t cpu and an effective dual channel memory controller with a non soldered IHS to boot!

what the **** do you think your playing at intel? A 4c4th overpriced cpu on the hedt platform! A crippled 8c/16t with 28 pci-e lanes for circa £600!

non soldered IHS's on circa £2000 CPU's....

so much fail intel.... So much fail.....

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
like i said the 4 core one is silly and is probably being released as they have it to hand just for the sake of trying to get people to buy it and then buy the bigger chips down the line. the fun thing will be come coffee lake that 4 core chip and even the 4/8 should be surpassed by a normal desktop cpu so id be totally baffled if anyone bought any of the lower core count cpu's on this platform.

Soldato
It's a good point; a few people have already said it doesn't matter that the cost is high because you're getting a HEDT experience. Well, now there's no heatspreader solder, there's not many PCIe lanes on the lower-end chips, and quad channel memory isn't useful for 99.9% of applications. So what are people getting for that extra cash then? "Threadripper" TR4 will almost certainly undercut X299 on cost and since AM4 chips use solder, TR4 obviously will too. We don't know about PCIe lanes yet but it'll for sure be more than the 24 provded with Ryzen.

Associate
Oh my...in Cinebench the Ryzen 1600 seems to be better clock for clock than the new 7800X.

Looks like AMD's SMT being better again in some multithreaded loads. Will be interesting to see what the single core performance is.

1600x @ 5445 MHz - 1837
7800x @ 5700 MHz - 1874

abKgM9y.jpg
Yx2Exeh.jpg

Could easily be immature BIOS; remember Ryzen...? I'm not worried. Besides, Cinebench always favours AMD. Immediate panic lol not necessary mate :)

Funny how here that SKU is again an i9 whereas on today's official Intel slide i9 starts @ 7900X and the two below are in (same as on their website).

Last edited:
Soldato
Could easily be immature BIOS; remember Ryzen...? I'm not worried. Besides, Cinebench always favours AMD. Immediate panic lol not necessary mate :)

Funny how here that SKU is again an i9 whereas on today's official Intel slide i9 starts @ 7900X and the two below are in (same as on their website).

It's listed as that officially on HWBot though.... it''s only once you click them for the "updated" page that it shows i7 :D

There are two i9/i7 results, both the 7800X

http://hwbot.org/submission/3563169_

http://hwbot.org/submission/3563168_

http://hwbot.org/user/der8auer/

c7a5838dea0644c9b49a3cb60680a84f.png

Associate
Yeah absolutely, I was finally gonna retire the 4820k and whack in a 7820x, but now this might be the first time I go AMD.

the 7820x only needs to clock at 3.5ghz to be on par with a 4ghz 1800x, Intel has already said the 4.3 boost is an all core boost, and 4.5 is for two cores.

given skylakes faster architecture and higher clockspeeds you're paying basically £100 more for quad channel ram, and 20% more performance.

also, skylake x is different than skylake, they've quadrupled the l2 cache and changed some of the prefetching, apparently a 13% ipc gain over regular skylake due to less misses.

Back
Top Bottom