• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Skylake-X Lineup Leaked: i9-7980XE 18 Core Flagship Processor

Associate
if the above is true intels X299 platforms dead in the water. unless you need the top end chips the lower stuff is even more pointless than it was previously as you cant upgrade your box down the line.

Maybe they should cut their losses and cannibalise the Z270 platform.

So X299 becomes mainstream (at mainstream pricing), and X299 V2 becomes enthusiast.

Would serve them right for charging the same amount for 4-cores all these years.

Soldato

So X299 becomes mainstream (at mainstream pricing), and X299 V2 becomes enthusiast.

Would serve them right for charging the same amount for 4-cores all these years.
*points at coffee lake*
Not going to happen. They are dead stuck in their ways. The more I hear the more it seems like Intel panicked and have really messed up their line up. I think Intel have been really shaken up by Ryzen and are clueless on how to respond. The question is with the confusion they are causing with this lineup, will the **** off their fanbase.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
*points at coffee lake*
Not going to happen. They are dead stuck in their ways. The more I hear the more it seems like Intel panicked and have really messed up their line up. I think Intel have been really shaken up by Ryzen and are clueless on how to respond. The question is with the confusion they are causing with this lineup, will the **** off their fanbase.

from what i can tell with the rumours and inetl slides floating about id say all intel have done is brought things forward and which screws up their lower end kaby lake x cpus as they will end up being out performed by the cheaper coffee lake cpu's. if they where going to have a bigger gap they could possibly get away with it and of course if thread ripper hadnt been announced or ryzen been as good as it is. intel dug themselves in to a hole being conservative on how much they innovated with more cores etc and now with this screw up they have kept digging.
come e3 in a few days i expect intel to go in to full pr meltdown rather than changing their stance and we will get a show of various tech guys who wont say anything as they will be nda'd up to the eye balls or have it politely suggested they dont ask wtf is going on too much or else. expect many a long silent pause on the live streams me thinks.

Soldato

Pretty good idea. Put Coffee Lake on X299 if possible as well and replace the rubbish that is Kaby Lake X.

Associate
Pretty good idea. Put Coffee Lake on X299 if possible as well and replace the rubbish that is Kaby Lake X.

Yeah would make quite a lot of sense then.

You'd have a very high clocking 6 core (the coffee lake chip), which comes in 6c/6t (cheap) or 6c/12t (still not expensive). And then 8-12 cores, lower clocking, all with hyperthreading, for heavier thread users. With maybe the 12 core topping out around £600-700 would be reasonable (if rumours are true the 16/32 threadripper will be $849).

This would also allow Intel to get away with their gimping of the PCI lanes, since if it was 'mainstream' no one would complain.

Soldato
OP
Well Coffee lake-X was leaked few months back and it is expected to top out at 6 cores. Then there is Cascade Lake which is successor to Skylake-SP xeon family.

I think whats going to happen in 2018 or possibly late 2018 with regards to intel HEDT is this:

•Coffee Lake-X would be replacing Kaby lake-X

•Cascade Lake-X would be replacing Skylake-X

Associate
Well Coffee lake-X was leaked few months back and it is expected to top out at 6 cores. Then there is Cascade Lake which is successor to Skylake-SP xeon family.

I think whats going to happen in 2018 or possibly late 2018 with regards to intel HEDT is this:

•Coffee Lake-X would be replacing Kaby lake-X

•Cascade Lake-X would be replacing Skylake-X

If this is the case, hopefully this would be on Intel's 10nm, otherwise it'd make barely any difference/progress. Since all those CPUs would STILL be refreshes/tweaks of Skylake on the SAME process (albeit a very very mature process at that point).

EDIT: Looked up Cascade Lake and, from what I can find at least, it'll just be on their 14nm++...

And that'll be going up against Zen2 on GloFo (IBM's) 7nm process.

Methinks Intel might be in for a rough couple of years.

Soldato
OP
Yeah Cascade lake appears to be on 14nm ++ aswell. So next year you would still have Skylake refreshes on 2066 platform. The only 10nm die shrink of Skylake I can think of is Cannon lake but iirc this has now been relegated to low powered cpus or mobile chips so I don't think cannon lake would be coming to 2066.

Iirc from intel's manufacturing presentation they showed that 14nm++ offers superior performance to theirs 10nm and 10nm+ ( I don't know how or what benchmark they used in making this comparison). So I suspect that using Skylake refreshes on 14nm++ for HEDT in 2018 makes the most sense performance wise.

This would then lead straight to Icelake/Icelake-X possibly on a new socket (2076??) in 2020. Icelake would mosy likely be built on 10nm+ but because its a new architecture; its likely that Intel would tweak to make its performance better than 14nm++ .

What I have stated above is basically what the trends in discussions have been around the web regarding intel's direction in the future.

Ofcourse a lot of things can change between now and next 2-3 years so anything is a possibility regarding intel cpus.

Associate
Yeah Cascade lake appears to be on 14nm ++ aswell. So next year you would still have Skylake refreshes on 2066 platform. The only 10nm die shrink of Skylake I can think of is Cannon lake but iirc this has now been relegated to low powered cpus or mobile chips so I don't think cannon lake would be coming to 2066.

Iirc from intel's manufacturing presentation they showed that 14nm++ offers superior performance to theirs 10nm and 10nm+ ( I don't know how or what benchmark they used in making this comparison). So I suspect that using Skylake refreshes on 14nm++ for HEDT in 2018 makes the most sense performance wise.

This would then lead straight to Icelake/Icelake-X possibly on a new socket (2076??) in 2020. Icelake would mosy likely be built on 10nm+ but because its a new architecture; its likely that Intel would tweak to make its performance better than 14nm++ .

What I have stated above is basically what the trends in discussions have been around the web regarding intel's direction in the future.

Ofcourse a lot of things can change between now and next 2-3 years so anything is a possibility regarding intel cpus.

The big worry there though is what's their core-limit, at reasonable cost and power, if they stick with 14nm++ into 2018/2019?

I know Intel's 14nm is better than TSMC/GloFo, but I'm pretty sure TSMC/GloFo 7nm (which are both different from each other) are supposed to be better than Intel's 14nm. GloFo's is also looking to be the best of the 7nm choices, pre-EUV at least (probably Samsung's post-EUV), partly since it was designed by IBM.

So Intel will be putting 14nm Skylake refresh-23 against 7nm Zen2. Sounds to me like the gap in price/performance could be even larger then than with Threadripper vs Skylake-X now.

If AMD are really going to charge $849 for the 16c/32t model, and they try to keep their price points, we'll see 24c/48t Zen2 for the same money in late 2018/early 2019.

Soldato
Quoting someone from another forum:

"You know that Skylake-X is possibly very good when you have the entire AMD army in this thread desperately trying to downplay it."

No one ever disputes that Intel make very good products. Summer of us just dislike their business practices and ruthless pricing in the face of limited competition. Now they have some competition, they'll keep the wealthy and loyal enthusiasts but I suspect the ordinary buyers will jump ship.

Soldato
OP
No one ever disputes that Intel make very good products. Summer of us just dislike their business practices and ruthless pricing in the face of limited competition. Now they have some competition, they'll keep the wealthy and loyal enthusiasts but I suspect the ordinary buyers will jump ship.
This.

Soldato
Quoting someone from another forum:

"You know that Skylake-X is possibly very good when you have the entire AMD army in this thread desperately trying to downplay it."

I think that Intel did a good enough job themselves, given the choices they have made with the launch CPU's, pricing and a conscious decision to make sure unless you spend $999+ you can't have more than 28 PCI-E lanes.

I guess however, they are now in an unusual position, where by the bluff and bluster that used to be AMD marketing, has now actually proven to be true and Intel now need to compete with someone for the first time in about 9+ years. Hopefully Intel will adjust their HEDT platform pricing prior to the launch of the 12+ core CPU's (next year) and make things competitive, as well as fast. :)

Soldato
the proof of the pudding is in the eating. need to wait and see.

Linus does have a point about the RAID key though. that is a product management decision and not an engineering based one.

Associate
Intel could commercialize a v2 edition of the Socket 2066

http://www.bitsandchips.it/52-engli...commercialize-a-v2-edition-of-the-socket-2066

LMAO if true and big FACEPALM!!! :p

This probably explains why X299 LGA 2066 platform was originally designed to accomodate Skylake-X cpus up to 10 cores only. Higher core count cpus (xeon) were domain of the LGA 3647 purley platfrom as intel segmented Xeon from the HEDT platform for Skylake architecture.

By bringing 12+ cores (higher core count xeons repurposed) to X299 they may have to rejig the 2066 platform by releasing v2 motherboards :p

X99 didn't have this problem as it was designed to accomodate Broadwell-EP 22 cores xeon cpus from the ground up imo.
Thats what happens when you get caught with your pants down :p

Back
Top Bottom