******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
Wait... Hurston? that wasn't meant to be in 3.0.

dsfs.png

Probably a place holder for it

Soldato
What is special about CAT? If someone talks rubbish no matter who they are, they will get called out. If someone decides to have a debate about something such as CAT has it would at least be good if they knew the facts of the development and how things have progressed during the 5 year period rather than going on a hate speech although I do think CAT has more issues with Kick Starter and similar in itself than anything else.

Doesn't mean we can't discuss it. Not hating on CAT, just wish that naivety and providing 'facts' that actually are nothing more than opinion or miss information is not good for anyone. I haven't got an account on there or would make a reply to point out some of the mistakes to show the issues in the statement made but I haven't got the energy to do so really.
his a good glad and generally posts good stuff. his a legend in this forum and others

Soldato
OP
This is the funniest post. Bold and capital letter words and stating opinions as facts is always fun to read. Yeah there are some minor points in what is being said but the credibility and similar goes because there is a lot of missing information that unless you follow it then it's not known as you actually have to research to give facts and not repeat what bad journalism state etc.

Ah well, I will be happy to enjoy 3.0 at end of August/Early September when it's out.

Also if anyone hasn't watched the mocap series of videos yet, well worth a watch. Seeing the cast, the details in what is going on and the premise there has really shown why I feel that it is going to be worth the wait.

You know I took the time to read this earlier and thought I'd point out some of the most glaring mistakes in CATs post, I've no axe to grind as I've no idea who it is to be honest.

You do realise that when a game was first announced for release in 2014,then 2016 and then 2017 its delayed??
They've been up front about this being a long term project since the start, is it delayed absolutely but does it matter to backers? That's the real question and no I don't think it typically does anymore. Those who haven't backed can whinge all they like, those who have backed and are fed up can get refunds. I don't see the issue.

Its like a cult of personality around this bloke - so what he made a good game decades ago.
Peter Molyneux gets the same treatment as does David Braben, personalities in the gaming industry are few and far between. A cult? No he's just popular with a set of people and a likeable person who loves games.

This is the problem with early access and kickstarter games - the fans don't actually criticise the companies for doing crap like this and its why things like Spacebase DF9 never really got finished and so many other kickstarters have fizzled away.
Most kickstarter projects fizzle away because they have no way to pay for an increased scope, whilst people whinge about Star Citizen using ships to raise funds it's proven a very effective method of keeping money rolling in, in addition to subscribers paying to keep monthly shows coming out - which means those ship pledges can go straight to development. If you look at most KS projects now the successful ones typically have some method of raising funds post KS ending.

All this time they have tried to shut down any criticism of this game,and yet now years later,seriously,are they still at it??
They don't shut down criticism, on their own forum, the subreddit where they have some influence etc. They go after those who are purposely spreading BS and generally breaking the law. The sites who have redacted articles have done so after checking sources post release after being contacted by CIG and realising their sources were unreliable at best. However those moaning that you can't criticise them on their own forum, that's not true, how you go about it is important and if it seems like a flame thread or is siting sources which are unreliable then I think you'd struggle to find any company anywhere that'd allow that content to remain. It's not unique to CIG for example OCUK do it too.

No amount of massaging the facts,changes things - the game has over $150 million funding and everybody I know in real life(not the internet) is laughing at it,ie,its basically vaporware with some bits released to “show” its not “dead yet”. Even if it was released this year it would be years late,and what kind of release?? A game with only a fraction of what was promised I suspect.
Modular development means no complete game early on to test. Those involved in the process have been aware of this since 2014 at the latest.

None of the fans seem to ask the question why they used Kickstarter and not use more traditional funding methods??
This one really highlights the lack of knowledge over Star Citizen and CIG by the poster.
1. CIG were asked to use Kickstarter by the community in 2012, initially they were only fundraising directly through their own site.
2. From day one it's been about avoiding traditional funding methods e.g. publishers.

In the end its no point trying to talk about it anymore - if people want to throw their money away on all these projects or live in hope for years,then good for them. Then instead of admitting they might have been conned,or at the very least strung along for years,they shoot the messenger.
Or perhaps it's adults being adults and spending their money how they want to? What a terrible thing. We could be blowing $100 on a skin for a knife in counterstrike and nobody would bat an eyelid. Like many in the community who have spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours playing the various modules I'd be disappointed if the game went to the wall today but I have to say I've had more fun in SC in the past couple of years than any other game which is out, including all of those AAA publisher backed games. Heck my second and third choices would be Rimworld and ARK, neither of which came from a mainstream studio and both of which are still being made.

Soldato
They've been up front about this being a long term project since the start, is it delayed absolutely but does it matter to backers? That's the real question and no I don't think it typically does anymore. Those who haven't backed can whinge all they like, those who have backed and are fed up can get refunds. I don't see the issue.

yeah the issue with refund requests is they rejected some and one had to get legal representatives to get their pledge back, so not as easy or straight forward as you may have stated.

im not picking just saying its not always simple to get refund.

may as well link the news article as well i suppose - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/14/star-citizen-refund/

Soldato
last i heard CR was being accused of spending game money on million-dollar mansions and Smart was trying to legally force them to open the books etc, any of that been cleared up?

Soldato
his a good glad and generally posts good stuff. his a legend in this forum and others

I get that, I have responded to comments and seen CAT here, but that doesn't mean I am not allowed to have an opposing view and believe what was posted is really all doom and gloom with no real context to the actual development. I believe partly CAT's view is because of the source of funding which CAT doesn't appear to agree with rather than just directly the game.

It is little things like publisher woudl drop CR type comments and wouldn't stand for the delays like we the backers are, but that just isn't true. Games get scraped and restarted for many reasons. It is the same reason Beyond Good & Evil 2 has pretty much gone through the same thing but we just didn't see all the details. They still would have had target release dates based on their current game trajectory, they also have had massive scope creep because they didn't believe it was the game they wanted to do.

This is the same for CR, it isn't just feature creep but they have tested things with tech demos and principles of what they first provided goals for. They decided that it wasn't what would work, wasn't what they believe the community wanted and so have progressed forward. They gave dates because people asked. They have learned not to do that now. They are moving forward, learning as a new company and with what is probably the largest/most complex game currently ever created (that we know of). So with that I am not surprised things have changed.

Soldato
last i heard CR was being accused of spending game money on million-dollar mansions and Smart was trying to legally force them to open the books etc, any of that been cleared up?

It was complete rubbish and Smart is an idiot full of rubbish. His game is awful, the understanding of development from his awful and the only handy thing is to watch some of the press destroy his game when they reviewed it because I have seen hundreds of better Indie games than what he produced so far.

Soldato

Yeah they were pretty much my view points. I don't understand some of the thought processes that have been brought up with what was said.

I get being worried about something but to suggest there has been no communication (it wasn't great to start with but the last 12 months have been pretty impressive steps forward) and there were key issues but they have mostly been resolved or have been shown they are working to resolve (such as accurate details for ships) but hey it's just a game.

Soldato
yeah the issue with refund requests is they rejected some and one had to get legal representatives to get their pledge back, so not as easy or straight forward as you may have stated.

im not picking just saying its not always simple to get refund.

may as well link the news article as well i suppose - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/14/star-citizen-refund/

It was indeed different as they had their ToC that said no refund will be suitable until 18 months after delivery. The difference here is that CR had given a date originally when that person backed as 2014 so that is legally where they need to make the distinction.

Technically now after that there was a 2016 release so anyone between the 2014 release and 2016 release that got involved would be entitled to be refunded legally in mind 2018. Anyone after 2016 so far would not be able to refund legally as per that person because they have now not given a date.

With that though CIG have since been much better and as stating issuing refunds fine certainly as far as I am aware having known a few people who have done so because they no longer game and sold their gear but might come back once it is released.

Their statement at the time was naive but I think they were trying not to loose face and were probably not advised legally the best they should have. It certainly seems that has changed.

Edit: And I should point out that my personal view is that if you pledged monies and backed them that is down to you and you should not be able to get a refund. It is no different to investing in a company with shares or similar that then goes under or doesn't deliver on time. Unless they have specific terms and conditions to do so anyways. Honestly people need to learn to be more careful with their monies.

Soldato
Funny to see people raising questions of where the money we have invested into the game is being spent again.

I remember reading a heated debate regarding the staff having a vending machine in one of the offices that was being labelled a waste of our money? I couldent give a **** if a chunk of the money I put into the game goes towards making the staff have a pleasant working environment that they can be happy to work in. I'm sure we here have all worked in some dier places before now and wouldn't want to be the root cause of that for anyone who is designing a game that for the most part we all really enjoy.

Soldato
Out of interest this is the view I have just read from someone who has been 'studying' games development for 5 years and 'worked' in the industry since 2004

That said, Star Citizen is a joke and will never be fully released. Already they are dated regarding graphics and many of the game mechanics and technologies. They have spent way more money than they can ever hope to recover in a reasonable amount of time. They are just doomed to fail. I played what they have so far, and it wasn't impressive in the least.

Not sure what graphics, game mechanics or technologies this person has seen but I am not aware of games out or in development that have surpassed pretty much anything CIG are producing at this time. Yes some may have overall slightly better materials for things or better asset details than we have seen but that isn't really saying much at the moment and there is a whole load where CIG have shown next gen as well.

I also don't understand the recover of monies. We have no idea what was/has been spent and to suggest otherwise in any form is ludicrous.

Soldato
I studied games development,
The amount of years of industry experience between me and my close friends is huge.

That person sounds like an idiot......

Me, nor the people I know, see anything specifically different in the Dev of SC compared to any other game or product.
Just that idiots are seeing inside for the first time and losing their minds.

Soldato
I studied games development,
The amount of years of industry experience between me and my close friends is huge.

That person sounds like an idiot......

Me, nor the people I know, see anything specifically different in the Dev of SC compared to any other game or product.
Just that idiots are seeing inside for the first time and losing their minds.

Yep I have admittedly only dabbled and helped a few smaller studios complete concept designs in maya/mudbox and similar for things but I have been in the studios seeing how things work and put reports together that slot into timescale reports and the like also.

There are a few minor things they are doing different in regards to how most studios work from but that is all relative to the principle of how they have funded the development. And with that I have certainly seen some of the tech that is above what we have previously had to use certainly with Cryengine which was more my bread and butter when I have played about purely because of the ease of getting into the engine initially.

Soldato
I am really having fun reading this. It is so full of holes and idiotic statements it is almost like trying to play his latest game and actually being sensible when reviewing it rather than burning it and throwing it out the window.

http://dereksmart.com/2017/07/july-blog-anniversary/

Edit: When reading everything I am just sat there wondering what has happened to his game that was buggy, full of issues, late (by 5 years and counting), now gone closed beta to stop reviews on steam slating it because it is so bad, etc etc. Oh the hilarity for anyone who uses DS as a reason to not support SC or CR and what they have done.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Notice how close to CiG's new big release the usual hyperbolic crapfest of wannabe developers and click bait gutter press are cranking up the decibels on "Star Citizen scams" again?

Alpha 3.0 must be getting near, but i wouldn't know about that.

Soldato
What is happening with Star Citizen is not normal by any standards. Even if you are a gamer or a developer or a production manager, it makes no sense from any perspective. I really don't think they can deliver what they promised. I even doubt they have a sense of what they promised and where they are at.

They will deliver something in the end and call it a day. So many controversies surrounding this project. One day people will write books about it. Anyway, that's my two cents and nothing more.

However, the amount of popcorn SC has provided to endless of neutral parties like myself is worth the 150m alone. It is a gift that keeps on giving :D The memes, the arguments, the endless bickering, Chris Roberts and Derek Smart. Somewhere among this mess lies the truth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom