**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
I think that is the question to consider when weighing up the difference between the two. It doesn't really matter what the difference is with software because the 1st gen Pixels will run the same software, surely? For example, we can't expect that Google would market the Pixel Buds translation abilities to work only with the 2 most recent Google handsets, it just doesn't make sense to do that.

Well the guys on xda have pretty much ripped all the pixel 2 apps anyway. Launcher, camera, wallpaper and they are now doing the ambient display with music detection. Can't see it being sensible to spend 400 on an upgrade myself.

Associate
Well the guys on xda have pretty much ripped all the pixel 2 apps anyway. Launcher, camera, wallpaper and they are now doing the ambient display with music detection. Can't see it being sensible to spend 400 on an upgrade myself.
Do you have a link to where on xda they are? Will they work on Non pixel devices, Note 8 for example?

Soldato
Brilliant video. Would I be right in saying like the original pixel it looks so much better in the flesh.

Thanks. Yeah, I would say so. If I'm honest, when I ordered I was thinking the black would probably look the nicer phone, classy almost, with the white being the garish one that is likely more recognisable as a Pixel 2 XL... so I went with the white, but thought I might regret it. Seeing the white in the flesh, albeit locked down, it did look very nice and made me more comfortable with my choice.

Ignoring the software, is it worth the upgrade purely based on hardware.

As you say, and I think I intimated towards in the video, if you've got a new 'top end' phone in the last 12-15 months, it's really down to if you want to spend that £££. l If you're heavily into gadgets like me, it's worth doing. If you're not so much into them, probably not worth it.

There's not doubt to me it's a better phone technically, of course it is. Different people will put a different price on that technical upgrade. No-one can really tell you if it's worth it, you'll need to decide that yourself.

Soldato

Just taking a look at the wallpaper app, having watched the XDA YouTube video on it... love this in the notes -

Seems to be crashing for everyone who doesn't have a Pixel 2. You've been warned.

So it's been ported from the Pixel 2... but only works on the Pixel 2...

Do post links if you know where the other stuff is. Does the ported camera app have Google Lens in it?

Associate
Just taking a look at the wallpaper app, having watched the XDA YouTube video on it... love this in the notes -

Do post links if you know where the other stuff is. Does the ported camera app have Google Lens in it?

Its all on XDA, wallpaper app can be a bit flaky when trying to apply the wallpaper but once done it seems fine. I couldn't get the camera to work properly on S7 Edge but it works on other phones, setting it up is a bit complicated.

Soldato
Just installed the new launcher (with at a glance), the live wallpaper and camera apk's on my Pixel XL, all seem to be working very well. Particularly like the updated launcher and at a glance. This might well save me an upgrade :D

Soldato
Just taking a look at the wallpaper app, having watched the XDA YouTube video on it... love this in the notes

Been using the Wallpaper app on my 6P since it first came out and haven't yet updated. All the wallpapers work just fine bar the first Earth Globe one, which requests Location every now and again and sometimes drops to the home screen. Other then that it is solid.

Shame there's just couple of decent wallpapers. The rest are useless.

Permabanned
OP

I was a little annoyed afterwards, I thought of a few other things I could have tested, like installing Geekbench for example. I actually took my sound and light meters with me, but was taking enough of their time already, so they can wait until I get my own I guess.

Happy to take feedback on the video. Thanks :)

Enjoyed watching your video very much. I sat in that same seat at the same table as you a few days earlier and had a long play with the Pixel 2 XL as well. Incidentally, the second cactus plant (the one behind the bigger one) works fine with Google Lens---it identifies it immediately as a eucalyptus. I am looking forward to testing the AR features available --- remember they tested it on stage at the release but it does not work on the pre-release phones in the Google Store yet. Perhaps that will drop with a security update (8.0.1?).

As you mentioned it in your video, I expect the Pixelbook to arrive at the end of October by the way. The official release date is 31 October. I plan to play with it in Store.

I agree with you about the camera. It is just amazing on the 2 XL, as I posted. I took the same pictures with my Pixel XL and saw a huge improvement.

The second speaker really makes for a great sound although when the Pixelbuds come out, I expect to listen to music, etc through them.

Agree with you on the Active Edge feature which seemed that I would likely use it too.

I am pleased I ordered the White Pixel 2 XL as the black strip really reminds me of the Panda.

Thanks again for posting and look forward to your unboxing video in November.

Associate
I've just had some insurance money come through from smashing my S8 screen and am tempted by this. If I sell the broken phone and use the money they gave me for repair it would roughly cover the cost of the Pixel 2.

Just wondering how it compares, the S8 is just so fragile and the bloatware was awful. I want something high spec that's a bit more robust and the fact it's pure android appeals. I would probably go for the 128 due to no expandable memory but not the plus as I have small girl hands!

Permabanned
OP
Brilliant video. Would I be right in saying like the original pixel it looks so much better in the flesh.

Ignoring the software, is it worth the upgrade purely based on hardware.

I think you will need to decide that by yourself. I for one find Pixel hardware a means to deliver its software, esp its AI and machine learning chops and want to get access to all that software now. And yes I understand that it is possible to port over using the Android Package Kit (APK) the apps that are new, which for the average buyer is an unlikely route.

It should be possible to look back in a year when the next Pixel comes out and measure the accomplishment of the 2,000 strong team of hardware engineers bought by Google from HTC and say yes, it is immeasurably better hardware, or not. So you have plenty of justification for waiting if that is what you decide to do.

I found this link helpful in thinking about the question you raise about hardware:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/miguel...erious-about-hardware-heres-why/#508ab7a618fb

Soldato
It should be possible to look back in a year when the next Pixel comes out and measure the accomplishment of the 2,000 strong team of hardware engineers bought by Google from HTC and say yes, it is immeasurably better hardware, or not. So you have plenty of justification for waiting if that is what you decide to do.

I would say - don't get your hopes up. Surely all it means is they are now Google's engineers? So far they've used other people's engineers, now they have their own. It doesn't make them better engineers.

I don't think we're ever really going to see massive leaps in phone tech now, not until there's maybe a battery break through and we get week long device use. Active edge, dual speakers with thinner bezels, dual pixel camera pixels, IP67 certified, crazy fast FPS (tbc) are probably the size of steps forward we're likely to see each year.

Also, wow, my video is over 5k views already!

Soldato
The camera is probably the only thing that makes me want this phone. Still for this money it would have been a straight buy if it had a few more features and specs like a wide angle Camera, V30 level headphones jack and 6GB RAM.

Like someone said before, all the specs and performance are now available today, it's just spread across different phones.

Caporegime
The camera is probably the only thing that makes me want this phone. Still for this money it would have been a straight buy if it had a few more features and specs like a wide angle Camera, V30 level headphones jack and 6GB RAM.

Like someone said before, all the specs and performance are now available today, it's just spread across different phones.

It just makes me think they're in colluding. :D

Permabanned
OP

Engadget has a useful summary of features (not all of which I think are essential for my use) comparing the Pixel 2 XL, the Samsung Galaxy Note 8, the iPhone X and the iPhone 8+. Pixel 2 XL stacks up really well with what I looked for.

@Azza With all the choice I do not agree there is collusion.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/04/google-pixel-2-xl-vs-the-competition/

Back
Top Bottom