• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Caporegime
Anyone know how to get a FakeFactory modded HL2 (ive got either v10 or 12 on, can't remember which now, as got them both in the directory, so maybe had v10 on, before going to v12 :p) and its Episodes running ?, as they are booting up to a black screen, can hear the clicking as im scrolling through the menu options, the screens just black.

Had the same trouble with Black Mesa, but a bit of googling, found this for that :-

Under 'Tools,' right click 'Source SDK 2007.'
Set the launch options to "-windowed -noborder" then run it.
Set the video options to your native resolution.
Quit.
Make sure the launch options for Black Mesa are also set to "-windowed -noborder."
Play Black Mesa.

That got Mesa working, although when i press ESC to get the menu options when playing, i can't seem to select any of them, game works fine though, once i get it started.

Trouble with the FakeFactory mod though is, you don't need Steam running to play it, so i can't seem to get the screen resolution, or any options changed in that (as not needing Steam running, means im not able to set launch options for it via the properties), so just stuck on a black screen, i did try adding the "-windowed -noborder" to the Arguments of its properties on its desktop icon, but sadly it didn't work, still boots to a black screen :(

The buggers all worked fine on my Furys as well (was on the 16.3 hotfix drivers from last March when i was running those), so don't know why i can't get them running on my Vega.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had this a lot in Battlefront 2 and it turns out it was my weak attempt at overclocking. Since I have been using balanced profile not crashed yet.
Have you tried dialing back the overclock for this game? Great thing about Crimson profiles you can even have overclock profiles :D

Yes mate tried running stock clocks several times on the different drivers, still crashes. Got a pm from someone on the vanguard program who acknowledged they are aware of issues with bf1 after the Windows update.

Caporegime
Try alt+enter a few times. May need to set the correct res/refresh rate after doing it.

i can confirm this, also alt+enter a few times doesn't fix the issue @AMDMatt already tried this multiple times.

Yeah i tried that, just stays on a black screen, even if you do CTRL-ALT-DEL for the TM, only way to get out is to hard reboot.

Tried looking for a .cgf file in there somewhere that may let me edit, but can't see anything, shame it doesn't appear in Steam so i can just do the "-windowed -noborder" like Mesa. :(

Soldato
Ok, I am now the proud owner of a slightly used Sapphire Vega 64 Limited Edition. Thanks again to Nashathedog for sending it to me so quickly.

First of all, it really is a beautiful looking GPU. My Palit dual 1070 looks tacky compared to it. It looks pretty good inside the case too.

Haven't done much with it yet, but, I just want to comment on the noise. Yeah, it's louder than the 1070, but, it's not an annoying noise. The whoosh of air can be tuned out pretty easily.

Will report back later with my findings and some questions :)

Caporegime
Ok, I am now the proud owner of a slightly used Sapphire Vega 64 Limited Edition. Thanks again to Nashathedog for sending it to me so quickly.

First of all, it really is a beautiful looking GPU. My Palit dual 1070 looks tacky compared to it. It looks pretty good inside the case too.

Haven't done much with it yet, but, I just want to comment on the noise. Yeah, it's louder than the 1070, but, it's not an annoying noise. The whoosh of air can be tuned out pretty easily.

Enjoy buddy, it is one sexy looking GPU.

Soldato
Would be interesting to see both normal "black" card and Limited Edition/"silver" tested side by side.
That fancy looking card slot cover plate looks like it has higher impedance than cover plate of standard card and could cause more turbulence noise/higher fan speed for same airflow.

Hence myself just pulled trigger on standard Vega 64.

Caporegime

Yep, the silvers gorgeous, enjoy! :)

Associate
Hi there,

you noticed that on Win10 RS3 or RS4 Insider Vega won't accelerate DX9 titles ?
Whichever title I try I am always on 0-2 % utilization, using with or without Clockblocker. Frames keep fully limited by CPU power there, as Vega isn't accelerating anything. The very only title which takes some advantage of Vega's power is HalfLife2, but even there it never utilizes more than 30%.

But anyway I noticed that Vega isn's scaling very well at all. Playing Ghost Recon Wildlands Vega never utilizes more than 60%.

I am definately not CPU limited (by far not).

So beside scaling problems, the lack of accelerating Dx9 bothers me a lot. Will this be fixed ? I do not have this problem with another GCN card (R9 380X) inside of the same computer (I tested by reslotting, DDU and watch fps and all utilization by HwInfo64, latest drivers). Why with Vega ?

Caporegime
Well shes in!, and shes a stunner :D

Ran through Last Lighty bench to give her a quick test.

Light_Vega_Bench.jpg

Not sure if thats a ok or what, as don't know how high she boosting etc..., its maxed out 1440p.

Gona get me dinner as marvin, then i'll get me pic up for ownage! :p

Can't even hear the ****** running, no pump whine, like the old Fury X, nothing :cool:

EDIT: Pics.

20171121_130859.jpg

20171121_150227.jpg

Please ignore all the dust, ive gave her a clean now :p

EDIT: Old version of Firestrike run.

Scored 18077, Vega core at 1663 according to it.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23450652
)

YOU of all people got a Vega? 0_O

Get that psu cleaned its manky!

Soldato
Enjoy buddy, it is one sexy looking GPU.

Thanks Matt.

Yep, the silvers gorgeous, enjoy! :)

Thanks Loadsa. Before my card was delivered I was having doubts, but then I saw that you purchased a Vega card. I took it as a sign from the Gods that my purchase was approved :p

After playing games all evening and it has performed great. VR on the Rift is very good, noticeably better than the 1070. I can use higher SS values. This has impressed me the most as I was worried that VR performance would be worse.

All that I have changed in settings so far is too change the profile to custom in Wattman and increase the power limit to +50%. And sorry for been lazy, but, is there a quick and simple guide to undervolting? Should I use Wattman or is there a better utility? Is there a safe figure that every Vega card can reach? Or is it different for every card?

Associate
Sapphire and Gigabyte standard versions now sold out only Powercolor left. Glad i purchased my Gigabyte as soon as the sale went live.

Quick note, limited edition is running low on stock and so are the LCs. Better not wait to long if you're on the fence.

AIB or not, no way the 1070ti is better than the Vega64

Back
Top Bottom