What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Dunkirk. - 2.5/10

I was expecting some atmospheric historically correct window on the on the Dunkirk evacuations of 1940 with some drama to drive the story. In the same sort of vein as band of brothers, with a British twist.

Unfortunately is was dull as dishwater from start to finish, none of the characters were remotely engaging bar the skipper of the little boat. The sound track was dire and the narrative just poor. Only parts that held my interest were the Spitfire skirmishes and they weren't brilliant either. I wanted it to be sentimental and flag waving in the same way that The Battle of Britain, 1969 film was. You knew what the film was within 30 seconds of the soundtrack starting and actually cared if the cast survived!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTv_4DPQUnQ

I had this on my Christmas present wish list, luckily Santa did not deliver, as I have read quite a few negative reviews now, will get around to renting it instead at some point.

Soldato
Assassins Creed

What rubbish, I was tired when watching, but from what I watched it was pretty dire.

The Mummy (2017)

Easily forgettable, was this supposed to be a remake of the original, I haven't watched them in ages so can't really remember?

Soldato
Molly's Game 8.5/10

True story of Molly Bloom who ran a very high stakes underground poker game in LA-NYC until she was busted by the FBI for unknowingly hosting members of the Russian mafia. The game regularly included actors, athletes and Wall St types etc.
The movie is written and directed by Aaron Sorkin so it's very heavy on dialog. Which I personally like a lot.

Features Jessica Chastain who was superb along with Idris Elba and Kevin Costner.

I saw this on Monday and it’s a contender for my film of the year. It’s going to take something very good to beat it.

Soldato
No. Film quality isn’t uniformly distributed.

That’s one of the three views I said - where basically 10/10 is perfection... but perfection is an impossible notion. I was just covering all three main bases.
Why wouldn't you personally give you're fave film 10 and then adjust as a better one comes along. I'm guessing many people have scored the number 1 IMDB film as a 10 but it's just the number of differing opinions that stops it scoring that

Soldato
Looking forward to:-

The shape of water
Lady bird
Phantom thread
The Florida project
Call me by your name

All supposed to be better and all looks like will be contender for oscars for best picture.

I’m hoping The Shape of Water is this months Odeon Screen Unseen on the 15th.

If only a couple of those you’ve listed are better, in my opinion, than Molly’s Game then I’ll be happy. A lot of the film year to go and it started well for me.

Caporegime
You’re fixating on the wrong thing. I mentioned there a few different things 10/10 can mean... but that TLJ doesn’t fulfill any of the criteria. I wasn’t trying to nail down a 10/10 definition, I was just pointing out that TLJ isn’t a 10/10 film on any measure.

The best film in cinema history is Star Wars. TLJ is a film that comes close to matching it or maybe even equals it. That's why I gave it 10/10.

Looking back on the thread I see that I also gave TFA a 10/10. With hindsight and a rewatch that was a mistake: TFA is very good but not 10/10 good. I think it was the excitement of the first decent SW film in my adult life after the awful disappointment of the prequels.

Associate
Laputa - Castle in the Sky - very good although US voice acting was a little jarring the quality of the story and visuals remains. I've started buying the Studio Ghibli films for my little uns but most of the PGs are too scary for them but that doesn't stop me watching. I do love the Japanese story telling in these movies so different from anything Western studios produce.

This is possibly my favourite Ghibli. Which dub did you have? The original Streamline (which i think is great) or the James Van Der Beek & Anna Paquin redub?

Caporegime
This is possibly my favourite Ghibli. Which dub did you have? The original Streamline (which i think is great) or the James Van Der Beek & Anna Paquin redub?

I used to watch this every day for like a month when I was a kid. I knew every single line of dialogue to this, up to this day is my favourite Ghibli movie. I can still hum the theme music now.

Soldato
I remember watching the old dub but I only just bought the BluRay which is the modern Disney dub with JVDB and Anna Paquin. It’s still great but not quite as good as it might have been with a better voice cast.

Soldato
Bright - big budget on the small (Netflix) screen. This has had a drubbing from the critics but I didn't think it was all that bad. In no way was there any subtlety it hit every idea over the head and should have been over the top and funny but wasn't really. 3/5

Associate
Molly's Game (2018) - 7/10

An interesting enough true story which is easy enough to follow and has some good performances, but it very rarely excels.

Good use of style as it flits between the snappy, glamourous and fast paced poker games and the slower, more settled scenes with the lawyer, but this does draw out the length of the film.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Looking forward to:-

The shape of water
Lady bird
Phantom thread
The Florida project
Call me by your name

All supposed to be better and all looks like will be contender for oscars for best picture.

Need to add Hostiles to your list what a excellent movie. Dark gritty brutal movie which leaves you thinking on both sides. Oscar winning performances imo from Christian Bale and Rosamund Pike. It's a western and much much much better than TLJ. Ok it's not really a fair comparison but I had respond to the bait. If TLJ was 10/10 then this would have TLJ + 100 :D

Last edited:
Associate
Dunkirk. - 2.5/10

I was expecting some atmospheric historically correct window on the on the Dunkirk evacuations of 1940 with some drama to drive the story. In the same sort of vein as band of brothers, with a British twist.

Unfortunately is was dull as dishwater from start to finish, none of the characters were remotely engaging bar the skipper of the little boat. The sound track was dire and the narrative just poor. Only parts that held my interest were the Spitfire skirmishes and they weren't brilliant either. I wanted it to be sentimental and flag waving in the same way that The Battle of Britain, 1969 film was. You knew what the film was within 30 seconds of the soundtrack starting and actually cared if the cast survived!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself.... that movie was a total let down!

I've watched over the xmas hols:
Brawl in Cell Block 99 2017 was decent 7/10
Imperium 7/10
The Abyss again 8.5/10
Deepwater Horizon, liked it 8/10
Alien/Aliens 9/10
A Few Good Men 7.5/10
Baywatch 5/10
Krull :) 7/10
and new Starwars... was crap 3/10, such a shame.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom