LG 34wk95u 5120x2160

Associate
Do we need to order our own thunderbolt 3 cables for this, or does it come with one?

According to the product webpage (on the UK site) https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34WK95U the monitor comes with a DisplayPort Cable, a Thunderbolt 3 Cable and a USB A-B cable (USB 2.0 only)

The USB3 hub input is a type C connector only on the monitor so either Thunderbolt is required to a a C-C cable or an A-C cable if that makes any sense.

Associate
5120x2160 @ 60Hz is available for DisplayPort, TB3 or USBC according to the manual. The only connection that can't do this is HDMI.

I think in reality mac users will use TB3 and PC users will be Displayport.

Caporegime
This will now exclusively ONLY be available from OcUK, thank you LG.

It shall appear on the website later today, stock arriving into the UK this year is not a large amount, so pre-order to ensure you get one, once stock lands, expect the price to increase so it makes sense to pre-order guys. :)

Any idea when stocks are expected pleasE?

Associate
Hey everyone,

I just got this monitor a couple days ago. Let me know if you have questions.

For anyone who's wondering, I'm pretty sure it has 12 vertical addressable zones for local dimming.

Associate
Hey everyone,

I just got this monitor a couple days ago. Let me know if you have questions.

For anyone who's wondering, I'm pretty sure it has 12 vertical addressable zones for local dimming.

Oh cool, thanks! 1) Is it correct that it comes with a thunderbolt3->thunderbolt3 cable? 2) Is it easy on the eyes, in terms of reading text on the screen all day? 3) Is the incredible contrast ratio as impressive in real life as it looks on paper? 4) Was it an overclockers pre-order that you have, meaning they're shipping these preorders already?

Associate
drecc,
1) Yes, there is a tb3 -> tb3 cable inside.
2) I don't use any scaling and I am very comfortable reading text, and I do a lot of reading. I am generally used to small text and prefer it. I'd say text is extremely sharp and legible. I'm very happy with this aspect.
3) Contrast seems better to me than what I'm used to from IPS, but I cannot verify this claim with measurements. I enabled local dimming even for SDR content and I am more pleased than my old VA monitor when it comes to black detail. In HDR, I am quite impressed despite the limited number of zones. Yes, you can run into its limitations on certain content, I'm not going to lie and say its OLED level contrast or anything, but I am impressed for sure.
4) Unfortunately, I got this from Micro Center in the United States. I just figured I'd help out here as I like this website and community.

Quartz,
I am using it for gaming as well. I have 2x 1080Ti in SLI and a 6850K processor for 16x / 16x PCI-E lanes. In Shadow of the Tomb Raider at full 5120x2160 HDR at just shy of highest settings but no AA, I'm pretty much locked to 60FPS with v-sync. Some scenes do drop to 50s but it's not jarring enough or common enough for me to lower settings any further, I'd say 80-90% of the time I'm at 60FPS.

Coming from a 3440x1440 VA monitor, I have to say that the upgrade image quality is just absurd. I very often stop or forget what I'm doing, because I've been staring at details in a random scene for a minute straight.

SupraWez,

If I'm not mistaken, it has full 5120x2160, two 2560x2160 side by side, and 3840x2160 (UHD) + 1280x2160. Does this answer your question?

Associate
drecc,
3) Contrast seems better to me than what I'm used to from IPS, but I cannot verify this claim with measurements. I enabled local dimming even for SDR content and I am more pleased than my old VA monitor when it comes to black detail. In HDR, I am quite impressed despite the limited number of zones. Yes, you can run into its limitations on certain content, I'm not going to lie and say its OLED level contrast or anything, but I am impressed for sure.

Thanks Asmerv, this should be an interesting upgrade. I'm upgrading from a 4 year old LG 31MU97 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-3...l-widescreen-led-monitor-black-mo-123-lg.html

So I'll be going from 1000:1 typ contrast ratio to 1200:1, from 300cd/m2 to 450 cd/m2, from AH-IPS to Nano-IPS, and from 4096 x 2160 to 5120 x 2160. I hope I notice the difference, although I'm wondering now if I should wait for 5k OLED...

Back
Top Bottom