Nasty Gal ad banned over "underweight" model

Caporegime
I don't know who she is and yes she's overweight...massively so. It doesn't give people the right to take the **** out of her though.
Oh man you are the wrong forum. Even if you don't care or are way too scared to say anything offensive IRL, here it is open season on fatness 365 days per year. It's 100% legit, get behind the fake rage because we can't pick on Muslims no more. Someone's gotta be angry somewhere.

Soldato
I don't know who she is and yes she's overweight...massively so. It doesn't give people the right to take the **** out of her though.

If you really believe in a free society with real free speech, then all have the right to say what they want, good or bad, offensive or not. without true free speech, we can't see who are the truly evil people are.

Soldato
There seems to be a huge push these days to accept almost any and every possible human trait/condition as 'positive'

Some of this change is a good thing, the changing attitudes towards homosexuality is just one example.

Of course there are a few people that have health issues which means that they cannot exercise properly, but the vast majority of obesity is the direct result of poor eating habits and apathy towards exercise.

Forget the word 'positive' we shouldn't even be promoting this as equal because we are talking in most cases about a self inflicted condition that can be reversed relatively easily. Obesity is a simple math of calories consumed minus calories spent.

I completely agree that we shouldn't be promoting stick woman as the ideal (they are equally unhealthy), but there is a middle ground here without going the other way completely.

Cut away all of the BS, arrogance and prevailing attitudes of 'who are you to tell me what I should look like?', if you asked any obese person a hypothetical question that if given the opportunity and with zero effort (thats the key bit) they could become more 'normal' sized, most of them would snatch your hand off and agree.

Who the hell wants to exist in a body that physically limits you so much and can cause all sorts of other associated health conditions?

Its the reason why there about a million diet routines and magic pills being promoted around as a quick fix.

However we live in an environment of apathy and blame, its not their fault, its :

1)The food manufacturers fault for loading their food with salt and sugar
2)Its the fault of the fast food industry for make burgers so damn affordable
3)Its the government's fault for stripping away my benefits so I cant afford to buy good food.

Warning signs and images are put on cigarettes, excessive alcohol has had its own marketing campaign in the past but here we are lying to ourselves that obesity is ok because 'every trait is positive, whatever it is'.

When a disability is not the fault of the afflicted, we should have nothing but tolerance and acceptance.

But when its self inflicted and can so easily be reversed we shouldn't accept is as anything else than what it is......a health concern.

However lets not do that.....lets lie to ourselves thats its all 'ok' and when Tess Halliday has a heart attack or a stroke in her early 50s....for god sake dont mention her weight and body choices as a contributing factor.

Soldato
Please. The bmi is fundimentaly flawed.

What you actually need is a body fat percentage. Unfortunately, this is difficult to measure easily. BMI is a fudge that is quick and easy to implement and is "Ok" in most cases.

But at the end of the day, you dont really need a number to tell whether somebody is a Bunter or not.

BMI is just another example of Governments attempting to put a number to everything no matter how irrelevant it might actually be in the real world (See also Speed limits, BAC, etc)

Just do the treadmill test.

Run on a treadmill in front of a mirror.

Men. wear some running shorts. (No top)

Women, wear a beach-ball bikini. (Or similar sportswear)

As you run, look in the mirror. Anything not covered by clothing that jiggles while you run probably shouldn't be there! :D

We're aren't you meant to be able to see peoples ribs? When they stretch?

You can see mine and I've got a beer gut

As I recall, the advice in the early 80's was that you should actually be able to see your lower ribs when you take a deep breath.

It is a part of the body that really has no business having a significant fat layer overlaying it. (Nor that much muscle either. Even on body builders, ribs in this area are still frequently visible)

Caporegime
What you actually need is a body fat percentage. Unfortunately, this is difficult to measure easily. BMI is a fudge that is quick and easy to implement and is "Ok" in most cases.

But at the end of the day, you dont really need a number to tell whether somebody is a Bunter or not.

BMI is just another example of Governments attempting to put a number to everything no matter how irrelevant it might actually be in the real world (See also Speed limits, BAC, etc)

Just do the treadmill test.

Run on a treadmill in front of a mirror.

Men. wear some running shorts. (No top)

Women, wear a beach-ball bikini. (Or similar sportswear)

As you run, look in the mirror. Anything not covered by clothing that jiggles while you run probably shouldn't be there! :D

As I recall, the advice in the early 80's was that you should actually be able to see your lower ribs when you take a deep breath.

It is a part of the body that really has no business having a significant fat layer overlaying it. (Nor that much muscle either. Even on body builders, ribs in this area are still frequently visible)

Quick test and yep as a 13 stone bloke with a reasonable amount of muscle and if I put my arms up like her you can see my ribs down the side. However on the front my top ab/belly does profuse enough that you can't see the sharp outline of the "edge" of the rib cage.

Caporegime
also, that whale pic was the result of this lol worthy social media post:

tDQJdPl.jpg

Wait if they're tropical beaches why would we need blubber.

And err we evolved the ability to build boats to help us float we don't need blubber.

Why do people constantly ignore our massive evolutionary trait of we evolved to make things so we could adapt to a new environment in hours instead of millennia?

Cold? Kill something local and wear its adapted skin.

Hot? Build some shade

Soldato
Well shes the one putting herself out there on magazine covers, tv interviews etc. So comments are going to be varying including stating the blindingly obvious.

By all means comment and say you don't agree with it etc...I don't. I don't want my girls growing up with her as a role model, it literally isn't healthy however but im not about to put her on a picture and call her a whale etc. That's a bully mentality.

Soldato
If you really believe in a free society with real free speech, then all have the right to say what they want, good or bad, offensive or not. without true free speech, we can't see who are the truly evil people are.

We don't live in a society with free speech...nor should we. Its one thing airing an opinion but no one will ever convince me that bullying someone because of their appearance is correct.

Permabanned
We don't live in a society with free speech...nor should we. Its one thing airing an opinion but no one will ever convince me that bullying someone because of their appearance is correct.

By all means comment and say you don't agree with it etc...I don't. I don't want my girls growing up with her as a role model, it literally isn't healthy however but im not about to put her on a picture and call her a whale etc. That's a bully mentality.

Agreed. Apparently most of the people commenting here are grown adults... unbelievable.

OMG, I nearly spat my noodles everywhere.....

Left wing logic.

It's not 'left wing' logic at all. I'd ask you to stop using ridiculous generalisations but given what's already been said here...

Soldato
I agree the double standards on show here is ridiculous.

Anyway I'd like to ask ASA (and traditional organisations like it). What planet do they live on?

I mean most adverts are viewed online these days. So this ban is pretty pointless. You don't have to go far to see all types of body shapes online (Instagram)... Slim in-between and large.

The internet has rendered organisations like the ASA redundant. I say downsize it or get rid of it all together.

I'd also like to add that I think Tess is a pretty attractive woman.a little too big for me... But still attractive.as is the woman in the advert.

Caporegime
that article headline, on the left hand side mid way down too :eek:

literal cuckoldry.... this is the sort of thing that just gives easy ammunition to the alt right

Not only that, but you are pretty much a cookie cutter feeder for all this rubbish, if everyone just ignored them they'd eventually get bored and shut up, but we give them the attention they want and the breed like rabbits. If I come across someone in real life who entertains any of this drivel I tend to just turn around and walk away, as I have done a few times in the past.

Actually I held a door open for a young lady recently at work who commented that just because she's a lady doesn't mean she's incapable of holding a door open. So I shut the door in her face and walked off. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat retarded rubbish.

Soldato
Oh man you are the wrong forum. Even if you don't care or are way too scared to say anything offensive IRL, here it is open season on fatness 365 days per year. It's 100% legit, get behind the fake rage because we can't pick on Muslims no more. Someone's gotta be angry somewhere.

What about followers of Jainism? Nobody gives them any stick. Bloody pacifist wussies, who do they think they are etc.

Soldato
Not only that, but you are pretty much a cookie cutter feeder for all this rubbish, if everyone just ignored them they'd eventually get bored and shut up, but we give them the attention they want and the breed like rabbits. If I come across someone in real life who entertains any of this drivel I tend to just turn around and walk away, as I have done a few times in the past.

Actually I held a door open for a young lady recently at work who commented that just because she's a lady doesn't mean she's incapable of holding a door open. So I shut the door in her face and walked off. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat retarded rubbish.

Clearly has a chip on her shoulder. Should've told her that you would've held the door regardless. As it's the polite thing to do.

Caporegime
Clearly has a chip on her shoulder. Should've told her that you would've held the door regardless. As it's the polite thing to do.

I've told one or two that they're the reason chivalry is dead but this one was out for a war so I shut the door on her getting one (literally).

The funny thing is she then had to spend the next minute or so rummaging through her bag to find her access pass. She hasn't made eye contact with me since.

Caporegime

I never understand this night at my place is 99.9% male there's 2 women in the other hanger and occasionally head of business is in and she's a woman.

But everyone holds the door open for each other. More than anywhere I've seen, guys wait if your a bit far when there's a few approaching at once whoever gets there first holds it for everyone. Everyone says thank you or cheers etc.

I csnt imagine a bloke turning round saying "i can open the door myself mate"

Soldato
I've told one or two that they're the reason chivalry is dead but this one was out for a war so I shut the door on her getting one (literally).

The funny thing is she then had to spend the next minute or so rummaging through her bag to find her access pass. She hasn't made eye contact with me since.

Serves her right for being so full of herself.

Caporegime
very unlikely, plenty of it is done proactively and that which is reactive is often in response to the mundane, I think you're being rather naive there tbh...
very unlikely, plenty of it is done proactively and that which is reactive is often in response to the mundane, I think you're being rather naive there tbh...

t0Le05G.gif.png

What happened to BLM? People ignored them, game over. Same with "cultural appropriation" - also dead.

(This isn't an invitation to start a 15 page long debate trawling tbrough obscure university sites, twitter posts and random blogs for evidence to the contrary, I cba engaging in that, if you can't find a mainstream source for any of this don't bother as nobody reads those crap little microsites other than the idiots they are written for)

Back
Top Bottom