• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
OK got my 9900K today and ran a test on my Z370 Maximus X Code motherboard.
My cooler is a Corsair H150i Pro 360mm cooler set to the extreme profile, with push-pull fan configuration, Fans are ML120 Pro RGBs (1600rpm PWM).
RAM is 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB running at 3000Mhz.
Haven't changed anything from my 8700K OC settings except core from 48 to 49 and voltage from 1.27 to 1.35 (might go lower but didn't have time to test)
On prime 95 version 29.4 build 8 (AVX on I'm guessing) running blend I was getting max temps of 75-80c on the CPU with max power draw of about 200W.
I'm not sure which temps in HWMonitor are VRM but other than CPU the highest temp for any other sensor was 60c. Keep in mind I have A LOT of airflow in my case with exhaust fans runnings directly above the motherboard.
I only ran one Prime95 test at 5.0GHz which was small FFTs at 1.35V and that blue screened almost immediately.
Obviously will watch some videos to customise the OC settings a little more and I'll do some more testing in the coming days.

Associate
My cooler is a Corsair H150i Pro 360mm cooler set to the extreme profile, with push-pull fan configuration, Fans are ML120 Pro RGBs (1600rpm PWM).
Haven't changed anything from my 8700K OC settings except core from 48 to 49 and voltage from 1.27 to 1.35 (might go lower but didn't have time to test)
On prime 95 version 29.4 build 8 (AVX on I'm guessing) running blend I was getting max temps of 75-80c on the CPU with max power draw of about 200W.
I'm not sure which temps in HWMonitor are VRM but other than CPU the highest temp for any other sensor was 60c. Keep in mind I have A LOT of airflow in my case with exhaust fans runnings directly above the motherboard.
I only ran one Prime95 test at 5.0GHz which was small FFTs at 1.35V and that blue screened almost immediately.
Obviously will watch some videos to customise the OC settings a little more and I'll do some more testing in the coming days.

Unless you need AVX, I'd suggest you apply the AVX offset (e.g. minus 3 with 5ghz) and test with prime 95 v26.6.

This will achieve a higher stable OC with lower temps and volts.

Your VRMs will get hammered with AVX.

Associate
Unless you need AVX, I'd suggest you apply the AVX offset (e.g. minus 3 with 5ghz) and test with prime 95 v26.6.

This will achieve a higher stable OC with lower temps and volts.

Your VRMs will get hammered with AVX.

Yeah I know about the prime95 versions and AVX as I have both versions on my PC, but I do a lot of video encoding so I do most of my testing with it on. On my 8700K I left the AVX offset at 0 but if I want the 5GHz overclock I'm going to have to turn it on this time, probably to 2.

Anyways to continue on with my testing I've found that as expected it's the power limit of the single 8 pin connector that is really holding this CPU back on Z370(or some Z390 boards as well). When I did a small FFT test(AVX on of course) on 4.9 at 1.35V the power draw went straight up to 260W and was sitting there for a few minutes before crashing. Doing the small FFT test at 4.8/1.32V drew about 235-240W but was fine for the 1 hour I ran the test for. Temps got up to 85-90c on the CPU, though generally hovered around 80 though with small spikes. VRM temps were not an issue. Overnight I then encoded a MKV rip of one of my own UHDs to 4K H265 where temps hovered around 75+.

Again, I haven't had the chance to go through proper overclocking settings but I will this evening (I'm in Australia).

Associate
Just got my 9900k etc, must say packaging for cpu seems to be pretty rough nowadays was at least expecting it to come in a bit of plastic. Intel really was cheap there.

Associate
You must have the OEM CPU then, because the retail 9900K comes in that mahoosive blue dodecahedron

Yep i have just was surprised on the level of packing. Perhaps this has always been the case but sure last time i got cpu it had a plastic container a very small one.

Soldato

That's actually not bad for 1.35v. With 5 at 1.28-1.3 it should be a fair chunk lower. Avx offset seems a must.

Soldato
Some arriving this week but there will not be any spare I am afraid, backorders are higher than quantity of stock incoming.

Might be good to update the website, it's still giving the impression stock is arriving 30th October, people might get disgruntled if that is not a realistic date.

Associate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Ujni7-fVM

This is all you need. Will be interesting to see how much 3000mhz RAM holds you back.

Back
Top Bottom