Windows 10

Man of Honour
Ive just looks through a few pages and wondering why havent I had any probs with win10? I have been using it for 3 yrs now and had very little probs with it, it just kind of just works.

I have the auto updates disabled and check it manually once or twice a month and have it set to reboot once a week early in the morning, as I use sleep now instead of shutdown because I use my pc as a media server aswell so it needs to spring into life fast.

It must be just luck, but it is lovely when things just work as I cant be bothered fighting with things nowadays. Too old, only 38 but still Im getting to that point in life where I can't be bothered spending hrs to get stuff working.

That is one of the annoying things with Windows 10 different people have very different experiences - my dad's main PC for instance has never had any problems due to an update itself and is usually really fast updating despite him having a fairly bloated install - he has had a few instances of Windows 10 rebooting on him and launching into updates at a bad time though.

Soldato
That is one of the annoying things with Windows 10 different people have very different experiences - my dad's main PC for instance has never had any problems due to an update itself and is usually really fast updating despite him having a fairly bloated install - he has had a few instances of Windows 10 rebooting on him and launching into updates at a bad time though.

I only ever had two issues with 10, one was AV issue with 1809 upgrade(10 would not install 1809 until I removed my AV but error codes from OS can be vague as you know) and the second one is the well covered activation issues which was fixed within 36 hours for me, you can name any OS and get different responses to issues ,experiences, so nothing new there, I will say Microsoft cause more then a few issues themselves (rather then OS fault) for users world wide,activation issue, buggy updates are a few examples.

Man of Honour
I only ever had two issues with 10, one was AV issue with 1809 upgrade(10 would not install 1809 until I removed my AV but error codes from OS can be vague as you know) and the second one is the well covered activation issues which was fixed within 36 hours for me, you can name any OS and get different responses to issues ,experiences, so nothing new there, I will say Microsoft cause more then a few issues themselves (rather then OS fault) for users world wide,activation issue, buggy updates are a few examples.

It isn't so much that Windows 10 is more or less trouble free than any other OS it is the fact that these problems do and documentedly so do happen but MS have been removing options to manage them which is just silly that and making things a problem that were never an issue before they made them so and then hyping up workarounds for them as features as if they've just magically solved some big problem! (the last bit is comparable to AV companies intentionally releasing malware so as to make a case for their product heh).

Soldato
I guess its down to the pc systems aswel, some dont get along with win10 100% and throws its toys out of the pram once in a while. I have had a few of those over the yrs, where the pc or a piece of hardware just dont get along with the OS

Man of Honour
I dislike the fact that even with a 'Pro' edition I don't have the ability to tie the OS down to my liking. I can control updates to an extent with Local Group Policy but it's not perfect. I should be able to choose via settings (or control panel - wherever they put it this time!).

Soldato
I am still on 1709 desperately trying to stop 1803 from installing. I have to be care and not check for Windows Updates and just let Windows check itself automatically, or it tries to download and install the 1803 "feature" update.

Why? Because I'm having issues with my Creative X-Fi Titanium soundcard which only affect peoples using Windows 1803 or above. :(

Soldato
Windows 10 keeps downloading 1803, no matter what I change. Reading online it seems you can only defer the updates for 365 days - so perhaps a year after installing 1709, that's why 1803 is be forced upon me.

Oh joy. :mad::(

Man of Honour
Windows 10 keeps downloading 1803, no matter what I change. Reading online it seems you can only defer the updates for 365 days - so perhaps a year after installing 1709, that's why 1803 is be forced upon me.

Oh joy. :mad::(

I gave up trying to get control of my own pc through Windows settings when even the Group Policy Editor didn't stop it from updating. I downloaded and installed WUMT (Windows Update Mini Tool) and have complete control over my pc.

Soldato
I gave up trying to get control of my own pc through Windows settings when even the Group Policy Editor didn't stop it from updating. I downloaded and installed WUMT (Windows Update Mini Tool) and have complete control over my pc.

The only thing I have stopped is my gfx card drivers from updating and it has worked.. I used "Show or hade updates", it might work for you darael?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...t-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo

Back
Top Bottom