**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Man of Honour
^Exactly what the man said. :)
It was no sports car but the torque was plenty enough to give the 225 width tyres a proper beating, especially given it was a manual and stayed at peak torque rather than kicking down. I'm thinking a remapped 335d will only be worse, hence why leaning towards the Cross Climates.

And don't get me wrong, I'm 100% a tyre snob, but blackcircles do the Cross Climate for £80 delivered, whereas the TS860 seems to be £115+ no matter where I look. I'm thinking 90% of the time the Cross Climate will be the better tyre (ie in the wet or dry) but I'm not sure if they will cope in the extra 10% actual snow.
I know the TS860 seems to be one of the best, but the Dunlop Winter sport 5 aren't bad either, depending on which test you look they are either the same or below the TS860, and around 10-15% cheaper.

The Cross Climate is not an ultra high performance tyre, the TS860 is, you can tell this by the sort of sizes they are both offered in. It's a midrange tyre not aimed at 350bhp cars.

Associate
The Cross Climate is not an ultra high performance tyre, the TS860 is, you can tell this by the sort of sizes they are both offered in. It's a midrange tyre not aimed at 350bhp cars.
Funny enough, the TS860 comes into anything from 13" to 17", so not exactly an UHP exclusive, instead being classified a "premium touring winter tyre" on tyrereviews.
The Cross Climate comes in a lot fewer sizes (15" to 18") but is indeed also labeled as a "premium touring tyre".
The Dunlop Winter Sport 5 does come in the UHP winter category, but in the bigger sizes it looks behind the TS850 (which can be had in larger sizes).

But the overall argument is sound - we're talking touring tyres vs "best you can buy", regardless of what category or label they are in. If someone would have come and said to me "have a look at these Michelin Energy Savers instead of those PS4" I would have told them to go and do one! I shall order 4x TS860 today. :)

Don
After front new tyres for my Auris. Any recommendations?

Tyre size 205/55/R16

Dunlop Sport BluResponse are the "sportiest" tyre in that size imo - fairly stiff sidewall compared to most of the alternatives which helps with "feel" (not tried them in that exact size, but currently have them in 215/55R16 on my Focus)

I've had Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance in that size on the Wife's Zafira, and they last well and seem plenty grippy enough, but as with most "eco" tyres they feel soft, and don't necessarily inspire confidence.

Michelin's Primacy 4 has recently been released and available in that size, however there aren't many reviews yet, but Michelin's are *generally* very good in the wet and very long lasting.

Associate
Hello chaps. I'm looking to get some all-season tyres fitted, but struggling to get a decent option in my size - 205/45 R16 83V. What options do I have? I could go for a 205/55 R16 as there appears to be a fair bit of clearance. Any other size options, or better websites?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Had to replace a couple of low use (~6000 miles) HANKOOK K120 VENTUS V12 EVO2 XL REP (due to screw damage) and went for Michelin Pilot Sport 4 all round. Noticeably stiffer ride but definitely better grip in the cold on wet/damp roads.

205/40/17 size.

Soldato
Not sure why but my Ps4 205/40/17 are absolutely terrible in the wet had them around 4 months.Wheel spin galore and there only on a 240bhp Fiesta.

Well I've only had mine on for a couple of days now and I wouldn't say I have any issues. My Fiesta ST3 is still at stock and the wheel spin/slip from the Potenza's at ~4mm tread was horrible. I have the Mountune roll restrictor (yet to get fitted) which should also help with any wheel hop.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
Dunlop Sport BluResponse are the "sportiest" tyre in that size imo - fairly stiff sidewall compared to most of the alternatives which helps with "feel" (not tried them in that exact size, but currently have them in 215/55R16 on my Focus)

I've had Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance in that size on the Wife's Zafira, and they last well and seem plenty grippy enough, but as with most "eco" tyres they feel soft, and don't necessarily inspire confidence.

Michelin's Primacy 4 has recently been released and available in that size, however there aren't many reviews yet, but Michelin's are *generally* very good in the wet and very long lasting.

Thanks for that. I'll have a look at them.

alx

alx

Soldato
Considering I live in Dubai and it's often very hot and rarely ever rains, if I want high performance summer tyres are PS4S still the way to go? Anything else I should consider as wet performance isn't really an important factor?

Associate
I have a Jaguar XKR 5.0, it came with PZero's on the front and something slippy on the back, Kumho SPT or something like that. They are dangerous, obviously the car has plenty of power but wheel spins on the motorway in a straight line get annoying, well exciting first but then annoying.

The Pzero's on the front of the car feel fine / great / grippy but if I'm honest in winter the back is letting go all the time so I've never dared go fast enough into a corner to push the front. Should I go with Pzero and match them with the front or something from Michelin which seem highly rated here
P. Sport 4s? What's the difference between that and the super sport version?

Last edited:
Soldato
PS4S replaces the PSS. It has a slightly softer sidewall which can make the front end feel a bit lazier but it also improves NVH and comfort, the former quite noticeably as the PSS was never a particularly quiet tyre.

Dry performance there’s nothing between PSS & PS4S, but PS4S is significantly better in the wet, always something of a weak point of the PSS, though IMO people made a bit of a mountain out of a molehill over it as it was still good in the wet, just not as good as some of its competition. PS4S addresses that and it’s now a class leading tyre in dry & wet.

PSS is now also obsolete so Michelin are only making them for dedicated fitment now, (e.g. some BMWs, etc.). It’s likely you’ll find the PS4S to be no more expensive than the PSS, and even possibly cheaper.

Soldato
Looking for tyre recommendations for a '65 BMW 125i. Car is an M Sport and coming up to three years old. 27,000 miles, first MOT due soon and the tyres are close to needing a change. I haven't changed the tyres on this car before, but can I be greedy and ask for two recommendations please? One for run flats and one for normal. Famous last words, but I haven't had a puncture in years and would be willing to take the chance in return for an improved ride, if there's still a substantial difference between the two. Ta.

Back
Top Bottom