• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
I wanted my 9900k destroyed along with my 1080ti....

Fair enough, i do too.
However you are assuming that this is the top dawg again. Your assuming this is the final speed that this version of cpu will come out at.
As i have said, i still think this is the mid range 8 core/16t chip and we still have room for the 12 and 16 core monsters... as lets face it for the ~500 quid a 9900k cost it really should go up against on of them "if" they exist and... looking at that layout.. well its almost certain.
And i do think the 12 core Zen 2 chip will destroy your 9900k... and the 16 core with destroy it and pretty much every non silly money Intel cpu they have... and once destroyed it will prob take a wee wee on whats left.

Yes, there is going to be a zen 2 chip with more than 8 cores... and its not far away.

Soldato
Here here well said. Can the Intel fanbois just leave now?

Where shall they go, the 9900k thread which is also full of you lot banging on about Ryzen? :D

I think it’s a promising product before you start, wondering if there will be a higher core skew under the Ryzen brand as it the head to head test was clearly pointed at being like for like so not to do an Intel.

Associate
Single core run takes far too long for events like this. Seeing as it's only going to improve I think we can safely assume AMD is the new IPC king.

Can't assume Jack **** . You can listen to her for over 1hr 30 mins so what's 5 mins or so for single core / ipc test . Oh I wonder maybe it's the same crap as 2000 and 1000 . Multi core scores out the arse but single core ipc lacking

Permabanned
If they had then clicked the single core test and the ryzen had beaten it just id have been happy with that but nope . Wait for release boyos !
8 Amd cores (narrowly) beat the flagship desktop 8 core Intel cpu at a lower power draw....

Its safe to assume that Amd have finally gained the Ipc crown. But yeah we can only sit back and wait to see what else comes out.

Why are people so pessimistic?

Soldato
There is a reason they didn't do that. Same as FPS counter in division......

Yes, the obvious reason being that it wasn't final silicon, running at the finalised clock speed. It could end up slower it faster than the demo shown.

Making an educated guess it was also showing total system power draw, rather than just the CPU which means it had a 35-40w advantage over the 9900K to score around the same.

Let's not start the poo flinging, and stick to what was shown. :)

Associate
8 Amd cores (narrowly) beat the flagship desktop 8 core Intel cpu at a lower power draw....

Its safe to assume that Amd have finally gained the Ipc crown. But yeah we can only sit back and wait to see what else comes out.

Why are people so pessimistic?

To be fair, i think it would show a different story with single core speed and ipc, but yes both processors which are 8c/16t score the same in multi core bench which lead me to believe it would have the same ipc/single core?

I thought ipc/single core would be like the same between the two processors, but factor in processor architecture which deals with single core/ipc?

Permabanned
To be fair, i think it would show a different story with single core speed and ipc, but yes both processors which are 8c/16t score the same in multi core bench which lead me to believe it would have the same ipc/single core?

I thought ipc/single core would be like the same between the two processors, but factor in processor architecture which deals with single core/ipc?
People are expecting too much. It’s 6 months or what ever to release they don’t need to show everything, what you got was a taste, savour it and show some patience.

Associate
Would really like to know the frequency the AMD CPU was running at. If it's ES then it's likely lower than the 9900K and yes a single core run would take forever, so can understand not doing it, despite me wanting them too.

Easyrider why so disappointed? 3xxx beat the 9900K and with an ES chip. VII is looking pretty good as an RTX2080 contender though pity they didn't have the power to go after the 2080Ti. However I really hope no-one here was expecting that. It's not like there's any information that suggested AMD had made that much of a leap forward. However a 2080 contender is a good position to be in especially if the perf of the card with the extra memory serves it's purpose.

It's truly worrying that the Nvidia camp are trying to downplay that as just a card that's at 1080Ti levels of perf 2 years late. It's targeting the 2080 not the 1080Ti which is the 2nd fastest consumer card (RTX Titan omitted as it's just a cash grab). It'll have advantages and disadvantages just like the RTX cards and cost wise it's actually quite cheap coming with 16GB of HBM2 compared to the RTX 2080's 8GB of GDDR6. There's quite a lot going for the card actually. Pity on the price, but still twice the memory of the equivalent Nvidia and cheaper too it's quite tasty for that market. Not the mainstream card of course, hence we didn't see Navi mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom