• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Permabanned
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/

"They also validate that the monitor can operate in VRR at any game frame rate by supporting a VRR range of at least 2.4:1 (e.g. 60Hz-144Hz)"

Thanks,
I just looked up 2.4:1 & Google got me the page linked below but I'm still not exactly sure what it means in relation to Nvidia & the monitors involved.
Also does it rule ultrawides out or is 2.4:1 still possible?

https://www.red.com/red-101/video-aspect-ratios

Soldato
The ratio of 2.4:1 has nothing to do with aspect ratio, it has to do with the ratio of high to low refresh rate boundaries. If you consider a monitor with refresh 144hz, and a range of 60-144hz, the 1 (baseline in the example) is 60hz, and the 2.4 is 144hz. 60*2.4 = 144.

Associate
Thanks,
I just looked up 2.4:1 & Google got me the page linked below but I'm still not exactly sure what it means in relation to Nvidia & the monitors involved.
Also does it rule ultrawides out or is 2.4:1 still possible?

https://www.red.com/red-101/video-aspect-ratios
To clarify Nvidia also said that vrr should work without verification. All be it you have to enable it in the driver yourself regardless of ultrawide or not.

Associate
To clarify Nvidia also said that vrr should work without verification. All be it you have to enable it in the driver yourself regardless of ultrawide or not.

nvidia says only 12/400 passed their certification and the non validated monitor which they showed at CES was blinking consistently. I think nvidia may be enforcing the 2.4:1 ratio when you turn it on in control panel so it will be unusable.

Associate
nvidia says only 12/400 passed their certification and the non validated monitor which they showed at CES was blinking consistently. I think nvidia may be enforcing the 2.4:1 ratio when you turn it on in control panel so it will be unusable.
on the certified ones yes they may well, that doesn mean the uncertified ones won't work.1 out of 400 blinking ain't bad. Freesync didn't exactly have a perfect start to be fair. I would considered this to be the same, as it matures they will iron out things like flickering etc

Last edited:
Associate
on the certified ones yes they may well, that doesn mean the uncertified ones won't work.1 out of 400 blinking ain't bad to be fair. Freesync didn't exactly have a perfect start to be fair. I would considered this to be the same, as it matures they will ion out things like flickering etc

I personally think the reason it was blinking is because they are enforcing 2.4:1 in the driver and the monitor was forced to operate beyond the freesync range because there were some comments that that same monitor was not flickering with an AMD card. There was also another blurry non-validated monitor. It remains to be seen whether nvidia will make any effort to improve support through monitor profiles like AMD. They would like to market their "true" G-sync monitors as better and possibly wring money out of manufacturers for certification of freesync panels down the line.

Man of Honour
I personally think the reason it was blinking is because they are enforcing 2.4:1 in the driver and the monitor was forced to operate beyond the freesync range because there were some comments that that same monitor was not flickering with an AMD card. There was also another blurry non-validated monitor. It remains to be seen whether nvidia will make any effort to improve support through monitor profiles like AMD. They would like to market their "true" G-sync monitors as better and possibly wring money out of manufacturers for certification of freesync panels down the line.

Be interesting to know the reasoning and if the full refresh range is usable by an nVidia card - on some for instance you need FreeSync enabled to go over 60Hz and even with profile hacks you can't get them stable at the 75-90Hz that they do with AMD + FreeSync on. Also whether AMD is working around actual monitor issues to force these to work or whether it is nVidia being bad.

Associate
Thing is even if they are and it causes an issue to begin with, we can override a freesync range on AMD, what's to stop us overiding the range on a monitor usig an Nvidia card.not to mention cameras dont do any justice to vrr in any form. You may well be right, but I doubt they would sabotage there name at the bottom end just to sell more top end, gsync is gsync after all, regardless of vrr via driver or hardware and a lot of people seem to think gsync has now stagnated hence the move. It wouldn't make sense to purposely sabotage this.
I personally think they are still ironing out kinks. But we shall see.
Edit fixed the fat thumb issues..

Last edited:
Soldato
The title is quite misleading. nVidia is not supporting freesync at all.

A bit of a pedantic post from you. Nvidia is now supporting Adaptive sync. Adaptive sync and Freesync have become synonymous with one another and people say Freesync they are mainly using it to refer to adaptive sync on the monitor not AMD's method of connecting. But, you know this.

Soldato
One thing that people need to understand here at this moment 400 monitors tested and only 12 have passed. That is quite a small number for such amount of tested.

Yeah sure Nvidia now support adaptive sync, but its not just plug and play like Gsync or Freesync for AMD. The customer will need to do some research to make sure the monitor is supported. As for the outcome for monitors that are not supported but you flick the switch it doesn't look good.

Associate
Why do people miss the small print. Nvidia have confirmed that they will still allow you to enable it regardless of certification. certificaion does not mean it will or won't work. It just means it passes Nvidia certification programme.

Soldato
What makes you think that? They have only said that the 2.4:1 ratio is required for validation. They are not going to try to run a monitor out of spec.

They also showed another non-validated monitor which had bad ghosting which is a separate issue. Both of these issues can also be seen when using AMD cards with certain FreeSync monitors. It is just a poor Adaptive Sync implementation on these monitors.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
A bit of a pedantic post from you. Nvidia is now supporting Adaptive sync. Adaptive sync and Freesync have become synonymous with one another and people say Freesync they are mainly using it to refer to adaptive sync on the monitor not AMD's method of connecting. But, you know this.
It’s LambChop, I expect nothing less from him :D

Back
Top Bottom