1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Wrinkly, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Shaz12

Gangster

Because one of the monitors which was flickering was not flickering on an amd card once the user edited the FreeSync range. On an amd card, the LG monitor flickers when the FreeSync range is 50-144 which is default. It doesn’t flicker when chnaged to 30-14. So nvidia when showcasing that monitor didn’t even try anything to get it to work, so I suspect they aren’t going to wholeheartedly support all FreeSync monitors so they could enforce that 2.4:1 requirement on non validated monitors to weed out crap. Some monitors have as low a range as 48-75. That’s just garbage honestly.
    FreeSync always needed research. The majority monitors are crap. If I try to find a FreeSync monitor with a range of 30-144 along with proper blur reduction and LFC support and IPS panel, that eliminates 95% FreeSync monitors from the market and you have to search hard to find one. G-Sync has spoilt me honestly. Now that I look at the FreeSync market for budget 144hz gaming monitors its hard to find a replacement for the S2716DG at the sub 400 price point I got it for.

2. Shaz12

Gangster

Because the non-certified ones they showed all looked like deal breakers. If you have to hack around with ranges and other stuff to get it to work, it’s a real pain.

3. TNA

Capodecina

Yeah. Pretty sure that’s what he means, it’s how I took it anyway. I am also not a twitch gamer and with g-sync I have no issues with frames dipping. No tearing or stutters :)

4. henson0115

Hitman

the guy who interviewed nvidia asked them why it was blinking and nvidia said; try this monitor with an AMD card and you'l get the same blinking. hence it being a panel issue therefor(again they mentioned this) most of the freesync monitors that don't have issues with amd cards although likely wont see issues on nvidia cards.
    therefor 1 or 2 panels having issues with vrr doesnt mean non of the other 398 wont work. its the same issue for both companies. its a panel qc issue more than likely.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3332198/gaming/nvidia-geforce-freesync-gsync-imcompatible.html

5. Shaz12

Gangster

That same monitor starts working normally with AMD when the refresh rate is changed to 30-144hz. It’s an issue with the refresh rate.

6. henson0115

Hitman

then they are using the 2:4:1 ratio, interesting choice. i wonder how long it will take them to change that when the thousands of complaints start rolling in or the tech reviewers start highlighting this. i hadnt seen them trying a different range on the same panel with the AMD card.

7. IT Troll

Wise Guy

I didn't think they revealed the makes and models in the demo. It sounds more like Nvidia are doing exactly the same as AMD and using the default range as specified in the monitor driver. If the monitor doesn't work with that then the monitor/monitor driver is at fault. As you said, the solution then is to use CRU to override the settings specified in the monitor driver, regardless of GPU.

8. Shaz12

Gangster

The base of the monitor is a dead giveaway that its an LG and a user in the YT comments identified the model. The other is confirmed a Samsung by Linus, most likely CHG70 27. The Samsung model which nvidia says doesn't work is working perfectly for many users on AMD so if that's the case, AMD is trying to work around the issues in their drivers while nvidia isn't. The LG model requires messing around with the ranges on both AMD and nvidia to work

What's going to be interesting is whether the prices of FreeSync panels certified as G-Sync compatible go up or whether prices of the monitors with G-Sync modules come down once it becomes known how problematic the FreeSync market is.

9. henson0115

Hitman

i predict the prices going up as nvidia wont certify them for free, they still have to make there money on it..

10. LambChop

Mobster

In laptops for years. They dont put g-sync hardware in so use adaptive sync.

They are not 'NOW' using it, they have done so for a long time.

11. LambChop

Mobster

I make no apology for being factually correct.

12. Phixsator

Mobster

As long as you are happy with the end result yourself, then that is all that matters. However low framerate using freesync or gsync(i've had tons of both) has always been a problem for me. It looks like a blur fest and a power point slide show, to me. Keyword being to me. A lot of people aren't bothered by it like I am and I guess that a very good thing however I just wish that when people are telling about their experiences that they would provide a frame of reference. "Smooth" to one guy is another mans stuttering hell and without proper context it's difficult to make a purchase decision due to it, one of many reasons why I've been through so many monitors before settling on the one I have right now.

13. TNA

Capodecina

Not like you would make an apology if it were otherwise :p

14. TNA

Capodecina

True. 60fps/hz is smooth to me. Others need 240fps/hz or it is a slideshow to them. Very subjective. Once you get used to the higher fps/hz it probably ends up being the case for some. Never was an issue for me as I hardly ever play twitch games. Even though I know higher fps/hz is better, it is not been as big of a deal as image quality to be thus far.

15. Rroff

Man of Honour

60FPS/Hz looks smooth to me but I can feel the input latency no end with V-Sync on - normally I have to go to atleast 80FPS/HZ (without V-Sync) - ideally more like 100-120 (120+ with V-Sync) to get a good feel until G-Sync came along - I'm perfectly happy with most games other than the most fast paced twitch shooters at around 60-70 FPS with G-Sync and can deal with occasional dips to around high 40s-50.

Stuff like The Division (PVE) I'm perfectly happy at around 60 FPS with G-Sync but in days gone by I'd have needed >80 FPS without V-Sync on to get the responsiveness I needed and more like 100+ to minimise the perception of tearing or stutter that was needed without V-Sync.

16. TNA

Capodecina

Yeah. VRR really helps keep things smooth. As I don't do twitch gaming, 60fps is more than enough for it to be enjoyable. Saying that though even playing at 60fps, it would still be a bit better on a higher refresh rate monitor. But I am still more than content with 60hz for the time being until next year when I upgrade to a 120hz OLED TV as a monitor :D

I sit super close to my monitors (probably why I enjoy the high PPI of 4K at 27" so much), it will take some getting used to sitting way back.

17. Stu

Wise Guy

I'm pretty certain the flickering monitor is a regular 21:9 ultrawide. It's certainly an LG model, and I don't think LG sell an ultrawide that is not 21:9.

18. melmac

Soldato

Well. Mr Pedantic, you are factually incorrect. Adaptive sync only applies to the standard on the display port. Gsync uses the eDP standard on laptops, not Adaptive Sync.

19. melmac

Soldato

He is factually incorrect, lets see if you are right ;)

20. henson0115

Hitman

adaptive sync is eDP. (referencing the last part/ not adaptive sync) did i read your post wrong? one of those days..

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019