QLED vs OLED

Soldato
The oled pricing seems confusing though .. they have dropped to ~£1100 and qled little changed,
is that large production capacity on oled, the panels are cheaper, they choose to have lower margins (foreign currency/ state subsidy) ? , or,
are the led folks money 'grabbing' ... but, they need to be realistic, to avoid going out of business.
bad punctuation - I actually meant the lcd folks going out of business (probably in the large tv business)because they were over-valuing their product,

But although there are some printable oled manufacturers in china getting into the big tv game, it is curious that samsung aren't returning to oled market
(is the LG tech lead so great)

Caporegime
One Year Update - OLED Burn-in Test – RTINGS.com

just watches this and at around 2.40 there is issues with playing fifa after 800 hours and in the description it states this

"Our current stance is that if you vary your content and don’t display static areas then you’re unlikely to experience any issues. If you do plan to watch a lot of static content with bright, saturated colors, then an OLED TV probably isn’t for you." which is what I have been saying all along

gaming tends to have bright saturated colours and static content - so i made the right decision

my xf90 is used only with a ps4 pro and nothing else. i play fifa also as well as RDR2 which has a HUD and radar and a few other games like bomberman which has 90% of the screen static content.

i will buy an OLED for the bedroom though. so i'm glad there are no real issues with playing movies with black bars, etc so long as i vary with full screen content

Caporegime
Had my oled for 1 year and 3 months now. Probably close to a thousand or more hours in various games, lots of films (all HDR) and TV shows and still not a single sign of any image retention (even temporary) or burn in or any degradation in the panel quality.

Just lovely true blacks for the past 1 year and 3 months :cool: :D

Heck, just look at this video:

Again, I still have yet to see anyone in the "real world" with "real usage" have any problems except people who are "abusing" their sets by watching the same news channel for like 6+ hours a day with a stupidly high OLED light setting..... If you're someone who buys an OLED TV just to watch news more often than all the other types of "entertainment" then more money than sense is what comes to mind here.....

As for the black bars and uneven wear..... Reminds me of someone on avsforum who zooms in the films to avoid this :o Seriously why bother buying a TV just to do that..... If you are going to be someone like that, then OLED isn't for you, stick to LCD.

As has been discussed before, LCD is no more future proof than what OLED is either, been posted many times about the backlighting brightness diminishing over time among various other things, LCD "can" suffer burn in too.

are they all your oled pictures ? (including the dell!)

Even without studying technical capabilities of the human eye ..
Subjectively, for blacks, Vincent has videos eg below, categorising qled being close to oled, even, in dark room viewing
LG C8 OLED vs Samsung Q9FN QLED 2018 TV Comparison
They are selling led in the shops too, priced similarly, but maybe consumers are being brexit'ed (can we start using this as a verb)

Dell monitor isn't mine but the TV pics are. Once OLED monitor prices are sensible, I'll get one.

I've seen QLED and whilst they are good, they still aren't a patch on OLEDs blacks and contrast ratio imo.

I came from a panasonic plasma and it is/was probably the second/3rd best you would get for contrast ratio + blacks but put the OLED side by side and you will see just how much better OLED is, no comparison at all especially when watching scenes like shown in those photos.

Soldato

Since when is using your TV the same as always considered abuse?
LCD is without a shadow of a doubt more long-lasting than OLED, and you can even see that from the guy who got burn in from watch MOVIES with subs. Or is having subtitles on also "abuse"? There's people who have shifted their TVs around when they upgrade so they still get use (10+ years). For OLED this won't be possible unless you like watching the TV with marks in it. So while for people who discard their TVs after upgrading once every 3-5 years burn in might not end up being a problem, it certainly doesn't mean it has a long life or as long of a life as LEDs generally.

The real question is, why is it so hard to admit OLED isn't a perfect technology but which has weaknesses as well? I really don't get it.

Soldato
Wow. Lol

Just because your TV doesn't have burn in must mean others are abusing their sets?

You do realise every panel is different?

There has been some real genuine screen burn from people who don't watch news channels.

What I have noticed is people are actually getting the screen replaced for free or a replacement TV.

Others had to go to small claims court and won easily.

Soldato
Wow. Lol

Just because your TV doesn't have burn in must mean others are abusing their sets?

Exactly, its always funny when they post things like that but this is the AV world, its like two sides are at war and their side must win.

LCD "can" suffer burn in too.

Difference is, Samsung will provide a lifelong warranty against it.

Last edited:
Soldato
What I have noticed is people are actually getting the screen replaced for free or a replacement TV.

Others had to go to small claims court and won easily.
To be fair to LG, their customer support is brilliant.

Exactly, its always funny when they post things like that but this is the AV world, its like two sides are at war and their side must win.

I agree, some people are a little fan boy on the whole issue. I take umbrage to poor advice though, such as "get oled if all you care about is blacks". On the contrary, what is probably slightly more accurate is: "get qled if all you care about is (retina burning) brightness" :D

Caporegime
Oh dear, jimmies appear to have been rustled :D

PS. LG have also given out new sets or replaced the panel for burn in so that point is pretty moot.

On their website, they have advertised their OLED TVs as being free from burn in or/and not being a "permanent" issue so if they do refuse, you simply show them this:

https://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs/oled-tv/reliability

Since when is using your TV the same as always considered abuse?
LCD is without a shadow of a doubt more long-lasting than OLED, and you can even see that from the guy who got burn in from watch MOVIES with subs. Or is having subtitles on also "abuse"? There's people who have shifted their TVs around when they upgrade so they still get use (10+ years). For OLED this won't be possible unless you like watching the TV with marks in it. So while for people who discard their TVs after upgrading once every 3-5 years burn in might not end up being a problem, it certainly doesn't mean it has a long life or as long of a life as LEDs generally.

The real question is, why is it so hard to admit OLED isn't a perfect technology but which has weaknesses as well? I really don't get it.

You're missing a very important part.....

To me 6+ hours of CNN/Sky EVERY day AND a stupid high oled light setting (i.e. brightness) is not "normal" usage. Recommended luminance setting for SDR calibration is 120 nits (which is iirc, is between 20 and 35% OLED light setting depending on the model), the ones who are having burn in the most often along with heavy news channel usage have their oled light level set to 80+%

Again, I have yet to see a post from someone with normal usage report any issues....

Got a link to that subtitles burn in post? Most OLED Tvs, at least LGs iirc have a feature where things like HUDs, subtitles/text, banners i.e. news have their brightness reduced compared to the rest of the image.

Want to know what I find even funnier with regards to that rtings burn in test/comparison, people are so determined to prove burn in is an issue that will affect "most" people yet they haven't noticed how awfully LCD's panel uniformity has aged:

MMETMmt.png

WcX7OsA.png

VA fairs better than the likes of IPS but again, it depends on the model, a lot of VA panels in the past have aged much worse than the IPS screen there.

Yup and in 10 years time, chances are people's LCDs will have aged in terms of uniformity, reduced brightness or/and developed a fault like most tech. these days.

Where did I say OLED is perfect? I don't consider any TV to be perfect, for me it is very much a pick your poison, OLED - "potential" burn in, not as high brightness (not really an issue for me though as I find a lot of HDR content to be overwhelmingly bright a lot of the time), "potential" vertical banding in near black scenes or........ LCD, - grey blacks, poor viewing angles, halo'ing + blooming (and for myself, the way the motion is handled is awful)........ I chose the TV which would annoy me the least in real world usage.

And before people say blacks don't matter or you can't notice it in certain light etc. etc. You can and several people who have seen mine compared to their plasmas and QLED etc. have all immediately noticed the blacks and contrast ratio that goes in hand with it, it makes a substantial difference to IQ and a number of "key" scenes such as those in oblivion, it's one of those things you have to see with your own eyes (and in a "normal" environment with proper calibration settings, not in a shop with bright overhead shop lighting and vibrant/store preset mode....) EDIT: And again, you don't need to be playing HDR content to see true blacks etc.

Essentially what gets me is people who have never had, let alone seen OLED (other than in a shop) go on the internet and read about burn in affecting OLED and think that most users are going to face the issue then they jump on the bandwagon going around saying about how it is a huge issue when in reality for 90% of people, it isn't, I don't know what it is? Justifying their LCD purchase?

Last edited:
Soldato
[
Dell monitor isn't mine but the TV pics are
the dells was several K, right, hence my double-take ... and withdrawn as a product no ?
]

you're obviously fortunate if you get to experience both a latest generation oled+lcd in you home to make a real comparison, blacks etc

The oled's have only been in the field , what 3 years ?, so ageing , and reliabaility of the electronics is not really being experienced in the public domain.
The rtings tests, agree, are not comprehensive, some of the ageing characteristics eg genuine age degradation of the organic materials cannot be captured, not hdr tests either.
In semiconductor testing you usually run stuff at over voltage, or in harsh (temp/humidity) environments, which rtings are not doing, only lg .. impacts are usually logarithmic too.

Now there is price 'parity' with led the choice is more difficult, if (like me) you were previously rejecting the oled premium considering ageing risk, that's mitigated.

TV's seem to have become relatively more expensive too, I'm not sure how the marketting departments accomplished that, since price folks are prepared to pay seems to buck the 'experiences over physical possessions' zeitgeist

Associate
there is some dude on the av forums covering up his oled during sunlight hours with a blanket :p due too burn in worries think I'll pass on one till LG guarantee against it.

Caporegime
will be a conspiracy theory made up by LCD owners no doubt. OLED owners demand proof of this tv having issues as all OLED's are perfect and have the best picture. non believers need to get with the program or be converted to OLED by force if necessary.

Soldato
The real showdown will be with micro led - the new panels at show at ces atm the mo look the nuts. Google Samsung's 200"+ 'The Wall' panel/s. That's what the future is going to bring us! The days of the projector are numbered.

Back
Top Bottom