New Toyota Supra formally announced

Soldato
It looks lout of place. But then you realise that you would 100% prefer to have the dash components and infotainment of BMW than Toyota.

Not if it's adding half a ton to the car and £1000s to the price :p

The trouble is with the FT-1 concept is, is that if something similar went into production, it is looking at competing (currently) with the likes of the Nissan GTR £80k at a minimum all the way up to the likes of the Porsche 911 GT3 & AMG GTR at upwards of £150k - all of which are very established Premium brand Supercar's.

Paying upwards of £150k for a 'Toyota' would be un-heard of. All current BMW's themselves do not go up to that price as the current highest BMW is the 850i at £75k and the M8 rumoured to be in the region of £140k. BMW would not want a 'Toyota' detracting from their attempt at the £150k Supercar segment.

Shawrey

The design changes from concept are mostly for pedestrian safety reasons. Like the much higher bonnet for instance.

The other reason is practicality. To make the body one large piece like the concept would be very expensive and a nightmare if you ever have to repair or work on it.

Last edited:
Soldato

I actually prefer the next morning car. Can you imagine the ride the concept would give? The front wheels fill the arches with little gap for suspension movement. Clearing speed bumps or approaching ramps would also be an issue(front end, side skirt clearance). An impractical car Toyota or other big manulfacturers just wouldn't build. The concept would be good for circuit racing only

Soldato
Oh no, UK has oversold the A90 limited edition.

People are getting orders switched to the normal car and being compensated with track days & servicing.

Kinda glad I didn't have my heart set on a A90 edition, I would be gutted.

Letter below taken from pistonheads & MK5 supra forum:

Thank you for placing your order for the new Supra. It is with sincere regret that we write to advise you it will not be possible for us to supply you with an A90 Special Edition. We realise this is likely to cause a great deal of disappointment so with this in mind I feel it’s is vitally important to provide you with an explanation as to why this has happened.

I’m sure you will appreciate that the re-introduction of the Supra has been met with unprecedented level of interest and specifically a high level of demand for the A90 Special Edition. As a result of this demand, we experienced a technical failure in our order system which allowed orders to be accepted in excess of the available number of vehicles that were actually available. Unfortunately, it has not been possible for us to secure any additional supply of the A90 Special Edition. Please accept our sincere apologies for the frustration and disappointment this will cause you.

In light of the above and as a gesture of goodwill, your new Supra 3.0L Pro will be supplied with a free 2 year service plan and you will receive an invitation to attend a Toyota Gazoo Motorsport Event as a guest of Toyota (GB) PLC. We recognise this may be of little consolation but hope is goes some way towards restoring your faith in us.

You may prefer to wait to test drive the Supra 3.0L Pro before making your decision and, should this be the case, your reservation will be maintained during this time. If you would prefer instead to cancel your order, our team will arrange for your reservation fee to be refunded.

Please reply to this email how you would like to proceed and our team will be able to confirm the next steps.

We are truly sorry for any disappointment this may have caused, but hope you will continue with your order and look forward to welcoming you and your new Supra 3.0L Pro at a Toyota Gazoo Motorsport Event.

Yours sincerely

Richard Lacey
General Manager, Product Marketing
Toyota (GB) PLC

Soldato
Just had the call from my local Toyota dealer;

- Q2 Customer experience events will be rolled out for customers (track day with new Supra)
- Q3 "centralised" test drive of the new car on the road
- Q4 Sept onwards for deliveries

Soldato
What's the price difference between the Z4 and similarly specced Supra then?
Not much if you want a Coupe. Without doing the sums, 2-3k. Most want one or the other (Coupe of folder). Z4 looks more SLK, this looks more Z4 M Coupe (ie, hard core, better suspension and handling due to increased body/chassis rigidity).
Sept deliveries a bit of a pain :D - heading into autumn and winter.

Last edited:
Soldato
a9d950ee-toyota-supra-with-bmw-z4-front-render-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom