BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
I'm assuming it's a standard E92 black sport seat?

If so I saw one for about £130 delivered?

Edit: ah just looked again and it was an SE seat. Did see another one though that was £160 and was removed from a 2008 335d!

Caporegime
Typical, guy is due to buy my car tomorrow and this EGR valve issue has literally reared it's head this week (covered fully by BMW under recall)

There's no engine light, but i've had it diagnosed as coolant leaking out of my exhaust, which might scare him off. Hopefully he understands it's fully covered and I don't believe the coolant actually does any damage to the system, you just have to keep it constantly topped up...I think it drives about 100-150 miles before it needs topping up. Suffice to say I've been doing it religiously.

Soldato
Tbf I wouldn't buy it until that issue had been resolved. Yeh it's probably the EGR cooler which will be fixed under recall - it's not definite and taking on that risk makes no sense for a buyer when they could just wait and see the result of the recsll.

Caporegime
I've had it diagnosed by BMW, but they wanted to take the car in and bump me up the queue, but I'll discuss it with the buyer first before doing that.

Bear in mind they have a backlog of 5 years worth of cars to fix.

Waiting for a call back from him as I only got his voicemail

Edit - Just what are the chances though? Just my luck!

Soldato
Yeh it's sod's law. I had it once with an ABS light that came on the day before someone was coming to buy it...

Might be better it happened now though, rather than the week after you sold it to the guy and the inevitable phone calls from him wanting a refund and threatening to sue you or whatever. I'm sure it'll be done in the next week or two.

Soldato
I've had it diagnosed by BMW, but they wanted to take the car in and bump me up the queue, but I'll discuss it with the buyer first before doing that.

Bear in mind they have a backlog of 5 years worth of cars to fix.

Waiting for a call back from him as I only got his voicemail

Edit - Just what are the chances though? Just my luck!
Luckily I sold mine before I got a letter (still haven't got a letter actually).

Soldato
Can anyone help identify this problem with my E93 330i in case I can't replicate it at the dealership? At idle after a cold start the revs will fluctuate between about 800rpm and 200rpm (without any throttle input from me), when it gets down towards 200rpm it nearly stalls and then jumps back to above 600rpm and then drops back into its stumbling idle again. This has only been happening this week and I've got it booked in with the service for Monday. If I blip the throttle up to 2,000+ rpm then it settles back down to its proper idle, 700-800rpm. A friend thinks this could be related to the swirl flaps getting stuck/failing but I've no clue.

Another oddity that seems to be related is that one time this also came with a squeaky/whining noise (not as high pitched as a fan belt squeak). I'm not able to replicate this but it has also occasionally made this noise under light acceleration, the whine lingers for a few seconds after lifting off the throttle then is gone.

Caporegime
Is this suitable for cleaning the MAF sensor https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archoil-AR...6&sr=1-2&keywords=mass+airflow+sensor+cleaner.

Would the MAF also explain the whining noise?
https://www.oilem.com/blog/mass-air...MIj73z0YeG4AIVj-maCh2rkg5sEAAYASAAEgJPcfD_BwE

That’s certainly the right type to try but tbh having used it before on my old 530i I still ended up changing my MAF sensor and it showed me the perceived improvement I got from cleaning the old one was just a perception after all!

Worth a try, but I wouldn’t expect long term results.

On the other hand, assuming you know the MAF is failing / failed, I’d be inclined to just put the £10 you’d spend on the cleaner towards a new one which most likely you’ll end up buying anyway.

Soldato
Is the MAF sensor something that is checked and cleaned by BMW when changing the air filter or undertaking a vehicle inspection? I only ask as I’m due a vehicle check and engine oil change in a month anyway.

Associate
What do people use in terms of screenwash?
My old F30 got clogged from using the - 20 Halfords stuff, looking online it seems to be a very common issue, bacteria builds up and the like.
I used to buy 20L containers from bmw but seems they're no longer available? Do I have to rely on the 5L slightly overpriced stuff from BMW ?

Soldato
I use the Sonax Extreme Nano which you dilute. Works great in my 330i but in my X3 comes out a lot more gloopy (same ratio), maybe to do with the different jets. Lasts ages though, I would recommend it.

Caporegime
I buy 5l stuff for £15 and dilute it 2:1 (Water: wash) Still works to -10C.

Neat is -63c which we don’t need here !

So really it’s £5 for 5litres which isn’t too bad

Man of Honour
Coming back to the fold, Focus ST is off and an M140i will be taking its place. Shadow edition, blue car, black (heated) seats, and Pro Nav. Should be a nice upgrade, may be putting some aftermarket suspension on it for track days.

I regret to this day selling the F10. I am fed up of running two cars and the Civic FD2 is pretty extreme for the roads so its barely used.

Looking forward to collecting it.

Associate
Can anyone help identify this problem with my E93 330i in case I can't replicate it at the dealership? At idle after a cold start the revs will fluctuate between about 800rpm and 200rpm (without any throttle input from me), when it gets down towards 200rpm it nearly stalls and then jumps back to above 600rpm and then drops back into its stumbling idle again. This has only been happening this week and I've got it booked in with the service for Monday. If I blip the throttle up to 2,000+ rpm then it settles back down to its proper idle, 700-800rpm. A friend thinks this could be related to the swirl flaps getting stuck/failing but I've no clue.

Another oddity that seems to be related is that one time this also came with a squeaky/whining noise (not as high pitched as a fan belt squeak). I'm not able to replicate this but it has also occasionally made this noise under light acceleration, the whine lingers for a few seconds after lifting off the throttle then is gone.

I had similar symptoms with my E90 330i and it was the clutch and dual mass flywheel. Lots of wallet hurt! Hopefully yours is something simpler and cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom