1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Liquidfox

Mobster

#
    Most websites have a filter for OEM Fitment.

A manufacturer's warranty can't state you must have your car serviced at a main dealer, an aftermarket insured warranty can however.

2. Dis86

Capodecina

No no, a new car warranty can't. A manufacturers warranty can. I believe the BMW AUC warranty does.

3. Jez

Caporegime

This is not like saying that at all, that is a clear distinction and a term imposed by a manufacturer backed product.

Your analogy translates to "Only service at a premium garage of high quality" - how do you define that?

4. Dis86

Capodecina

By ensuring that they follow the correct procedures and use the correct parts.

5. Vita

Capodecina

I am going to look at an E90 LCI 335d this weekend. Is there anything else other than the usual to look out for?

6. -Ad-

Capodecina

I'm pretty sure it just has to be a VAT registered garage and 'approved' parts. Now on the approved parts, does that mean it must be OEM BMW parts, or OEM equivalent. E.g. A pagid brake disc, which could be what the OEM one is anyway.

I'm not fussed about general oil and filter servicing as the car has the service pack included until 2021, but for something like the brakes it'll be interesting to see the different cost in parts (OEM from dealer, OEM from German store and equivalent non-OEM) and the cost in labour. What I don't like is a dealer charging £125 an hour for a simple brake pad change when either me or an trusted local garage can do it for a hell of a lot less.

I like the free coffee, nibbles and seating in the dealership, but don't want to be paying for them ;)

Edit: Front brake disc (x1) part no check online in the UK has it at £356, haha. German site has it at £280 before I've registered for a forum discount (also OEM). Online shop has equivalent at £150 each.

Checked price on BMW-service online for what a dealer should price at:

Front Discs & Pads = £869
    Front pads only - £357

Rear Discs & Pads = £528
    Front pads only = £212

At those prices maybe they're AP Racing discs :p

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  7. MoRT489

Soldato

Evening all, any recommendations for replacing the halogens in my X3 (F25)? I've just had a right side dipped beam failure (hopefully it's just the bulb). I'd prefer a white, brighter bulb than the OEM but not sure what is available or where best to look!

8. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Potentially someone coming to buy my car today (Sunday)

As it's not a banking day, if they did a bank transfer and I could see the money in my account, is there any way for them to later reverse it?

I'd obviously get them to sign/date a receipt of sale.

9. Django x2

Capodecina

No, a faster payment (MAX £10k) will show pretty much instantly for all but the crappest of banks. It would be significant hassle to reverse that out later.

10. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Thanks

Didn't realise there was a 10k limit.

It's nearer 13k if it happens, so what are my options on a Sunday?

11. 200sols

Wise Guy

12. Django x2

Capodecina

Cash and transfer, but he's not going to £3k cash out today. They will need to contact their bank if they want to increase that limit from a personal account, but I suspect that might not happen on a Sunday.

EDIT: Looking at 200sols post, depending on who they bank with, online should be fine for most.

13. IAmATeaf

Soldato

Just get them to do 2 transfers? When I purchased my 3 I did 3 transfers, which the bank did view as suspicious so then had to call them to release the funds.

14. Simon

Capodecina

Santander will do over £10k

Just ring them first and then once you make transaction they usually ring you to confirm

15. Vita

Capodecina

Left a deposit on a e90 335d lci. Hopefully collect it tomorrow.

16. Liquidfox

Mobster

Nope, he's right. The AUC warranty specifies BMW garages and BMW parts only

https://www.bmw.co.uk/bmw-ownership...ies/bmw-approved-used-car-warranty-guidelines
    I was warned off the 335d's and advised to go for the 330d instead, fewer problems supposedly. HPFP, turbos among others I believe were common issues?

17. IAmATeaf

Soldato

Looks like insurance premiums have gone up this year, just had my renewal and even using the comparison sites couldn't get it below the 602 I paid last year, had to renew at 625 and that was with a 425 (versus 350 last year) excess :eek:

18. -Ad-

Capodecina

Interesting, thanks for that.

It does say for warranty and service work, now how would changing discs and pads at an independent work out?

As they will be wear and tear items (not covered) and are not part of the general service or warranty work (going by the wording T&Cs)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  19. Dis86

Capodecina

It's one that you'd need to take up with the dealer in question. If an indy damages the caliper for example when replacing pads then I can't see the warranty company paying out if it fails further down the line. And believe me, they'll tell you that an indy damaged it, even if they didn't.

20. -Ad-

Capodecina

The brakes haven't been changed Mr BMW ;);)

But yes, I see your point. Just waiting on current pad/disk thickness back from BMW as they've been a bit cagey on that, even though they've done it as part of the car checks. Keep telling us that iDrive says 8k, so that's ok.........