• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
I've just priced up an X58 system

i7 980X = £80
ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 = £125
12GB DDR3 = £35
£240, there are more expensive Boards and Ram and cheaper but if you're going to overclock these components to get the performance out of the system i figure you're not going to want the crappiest stuff.

If what you are looking for is good performance for little money yeah its not bad but these components are 10 years old, how trustworthy is the longevity and reliability of these components?

The thing is Intel are no longer competing with themselves in their older platforms, for me the argument that "Intel are gimping their older platforms through planed obsolescence" doesn't make any sense, smart savvy people who look for performance bargains are not going to be looking at Intel's brand new hardware.

Ryzen 1600X = £150
Asus Prime B350-Plus = £80
16GB DDR4 3200Mhz = £130

£360, yes its £120 more but its all brand new with warranty and very high standards of productivity and gaming performance. Intel's current performance equivalent to that is a 9600K and that's £270, £120 more than the 1600X and £30 more than the whole X58 System i priced up.

Yes Tech City need to change their message to stay relevant instead of moaning about it and throwing around conspiracy theories.

Are you after another bonus for AMD hahahaha

Seriously tho who would buy a 980x you have just picked the most expensive to make your AMD trumpet sound better.

So let's price one up properly?

5650x £18
Mobo (almost any x58 will do) £50
Ram £35

Now that's better bang per buck, no?

Associate
If you can get a decent x58 mobo for £50 you're doing well! All the legit ones I've seen are usually £100+

The CPU's and RAM are cheap, but once you factor in the motherboard you should really start to consider a 6c/12t Ryzen or 6c/6t Intel instead in my opinion.

Soldato
Bore off? Same old same old pal. Always going on about how good AMD are. It's a thread about a Xeon and you still make crap up and talk about the most expensive none Xeon CPU for this platform. It's childish.

To his defence he was not aware you could buy the cpu for cheap as chips. He was under the impression that it would cost £100+ for the cpu which is correct and not correct, some of the more expensive xeons like the X5690 are fetching £100 on ebay. Hence his analysis is kind of correct under those assumptions, it would be more prudent to and better to buy a 6 core ryzen build. But if you can get the whole lot for £100, like cpu, mobo and ram then its still a platform that can perform and good as a budget build anything more then it might be worth saving for better system, specially when the new AMD 3000 series cpu are released. I did however mention that you can get X5650 for £12-£15.

For anyone who has this system then the upgrade is a must. Now you can even install bootable Nvme and USB 3 via add in cards but still, the X58 platform as been one amazing workhorse, nothing like it has lasted so long and performed so well.

Soldato
To his defence he was not aware you could buy the cpu for cheap as chips. He was under the impression that it would cost £100+ for the cpu which is correct and not correct, some of the more expensive xeons like the X5690 are fetching £100 on ebay. Hence his analysis is kind of correct under those assumptions, it would be more prudent to and better to buy a 6 core ryzen build. But if you can get the whole lot for £100, like cpu, mobo and ram then its still a platform that can perform and good as a budget build anything more then it might be worth saving for better system, specially when the new AMD 3000 series cpu are released. I did however mention that you can get X5650 for £12-£15.

For anyone who has this system then the upgrade is a must. Now you can even install bootable Nvme and USB 3 via add in cards but still, the X58 platform as been one amazing workhorse, nothing like it has lasted so long and performed so well.

He's very aware! He know a lot about computer tech, he just can't resist a chance to give the AMD trumpet a quick blast. It's been going on for ages now.

Soldato
This is the overriding point. If you can get a decent overclock out of it then it still performs well compared to modern budget build.

Soldato
Has anyone plugged a new RTX card into their X58? Just curious if there are any issues.

I tried a 2080TI and it really is a bottle neck, 1080Ti is the limit with the system and even then its holding the card back slightly at 4.4ghz. If its temporary then no problem and if you are playing games and you find that the frame rates are ok then no problem but to get the best out of it you really need something faster.

I currently have a 1080Ti in mine and its doing fine with every game I throw at it @4k.

Soldato
I tried a 2080TI and it really is a bottle neck, 1080Ti is the limit with the system and even then its holding the card back slightly at 4.4ghz. If its temporary then no problem and if you are playing games and you find that the frame rates are ok then no problem but to get the best out of it you really need something faster.

I currently have a 1080Ti in mine and its doing fine with every game I throw at it @4k.

That's good to know. I was thinking of squeezing another 12 months out of my 5650 Xeon @4.4Ghz currently with a GTX760 card which handles everything I can throw at it but then again I game at 1920x1080. Was thinking of upgrading the 760 to something beefier but wasn't sure what.

Soldato
That's good to know. I was thinking of squeezing another 12 months out of my 5650 Xeon @4.4Ghz currently with a GTX760 card which handles everything I can throw at it but then again I game at 1920x1080. Was thinking of upgrading the 760 to something beefier but wasn't sure what.
I've used a X5650 at 4.5Ghz with a 1070 and it still performed well. Going from a 760 even the likes of a GTX1060 would be a large performance increase at 1080p

Associate
I've used a X5650 at 4.5Ghz with a 1070 and it still performed well. Going from a 760 even the likes of a GTX1060 would be a large performance increase at 1080p

A good pairing of CPU and GPU there in my opinion. You must have a better Xeon than I did, as I could only get 4.4ghz stable with my RAM running at 1900mhz (ish - was 2400mhz DDR3) but it ran really well with my 1070ti. Only real difference I can see going to an AMD 2700x is that max and average FPS are slightly better (but nothing you'd notice) but the low FPS points were where it made the biggest difference, but those low point drops were fairly infrequent and only seen on pube g. I guess if I play BF5 it might have been an issue where I'd have noticed the bottleneck, but I only upgraded to be on a more modern platform, it certainly wasn't a necessary upgrade at all.

Back
Top Bottom