Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox and PC Hopefully)

Associate
The combat in this game is dire; there’s no way a game whose combat feels so poor should be getting 10’s imo. For example Days Gone combat is far better (and it’s not perfect). The auto aim thing in RDR2 is terrible and without it it’s not really playable.

Soldato
The combat and controls are pretty poor but I still enjoyed my time with the game purely because the world is breathtaking. If you just follow the main missions then it's a 6-7/10 but if you explore the map, go hunting, find weird side stories then it really draws you in and also means the emotional moments in the main story hit harder because you've invested in your version of Arthur.

Sadly R* seem to only care about the online aspect and I have no interest in that as it seems to attract grade A cretins so I sold my copy as soon as I'd 100%ed the single player aspect.

For me it would probably make my top 10 games of all time purely because I really did lose myself in its open world and just marvelled at how "right" it all felt.

Soldato
Rockstar throughout their history have proven that they suck at decent UI, Online and gameplay elements like combat/shooting. Don't think I've ever seen any game excel in those areas sadly.

It is disheartening to see them produce classics like GTAIV with a ton of quality dlc, to where we are now. Although truth be told, that was due to a massive multi million $ cash injection from Microsoft back in the x360 days.

Soldato
It's absolutely a 10/10 considering the quality of most other games and a big technical achievement. Controls are a bit clunky but the combat itself is still fun and visually impressive. It just takes a bit of getting used to, the animations during shootouts and their overall feel are very good. Just R* tanky controls, they just don't seem to be able to make them better.

Besides, a 10/10 game doesn't have to be perfect. For example, Witcher 3 was getting 9's and 10's everywhere and the combat was subpar.

RDR2 does plenty right besides combat.

Soldato
I only got as far as the first town before ditching it.

I have no idea what people see in this game apart from the visuals?
As I said, Chapter 2 ie the first town of Valentine is where the game actually really begins. Chapter 1 is just an overblown tutorial and a dull one at that to be honest. The game is just silly immersive because the world is so well crafted for those who enjoy exploration. If you enjoy games like Skyrim, Witcher etc then you'll likely enjoy this. The humour and attention to detail with all the characters and the events surrounding you are equally spot on.

I find it very relaxing to play.

Soldato
Yep, pretty much as above. The attention to detail and the environmental design is probably some of the best in any game ever. The map is astonishingly huge by the the time you're at the end of the story (albeit large sections feel quite underused) and there's plenty of stuff to do beyond the missions just by exploring and being curious. Hell, I keep finding things along routes that I know I've used frequently, because I just haven't noticed them before or been looking in the right direction.

It's not perfect, for instance I'm frustrated that so much of the good equipment, ammo etc requires an awful lot of hunting just to get the right pelts or ingredients to then go crafting, made worse by higher-capacity satchels (enabling you to carry more of said resources) being an item you have to craft in the first place. It's silly that I can have $10,000+ in cash yet can't buy some animal fat anywhere to craft explosive bullets. It becomes impossible to keep track of what pelts, ingredients etc you need as there's seemingly no way of tracking them as there would be in RPGs etc.

The controls are fiddly and clunky at times too, and I guarantee that there is nobody who's played it who hasn't shouted "Get into ****ing cover!" whilst playing it.

Soldato
The controls and UI are a mess, it's not an open world game at all, more a walking simulator with occasional shooting galleries. This all annoyed me at launch and I stopped playing after a few hours.

I've come back to it recently, and enjoyed just playing it for what it is, some pretty visuals and an interesting set of characters telling a story....if you just sit back and enjoy the ride it's pretty decent.

All the open world stuff, crafting etc is totally pointless. You can waltz through the game with the crappiest rusty old gun you can find, unless you really like playing dress up there's not a lot of point doing any of the busywork.

Associate
It definitely is.

I agree it's not open world really.

It's a story driven game with open world stuff added on, it's all pointless.

story mission should just roll one after another.

Still great game, you can see two different directions the game currently sits.

Soldato
I just got this for Xbox, made it through maybe an hour of it so far. So clunky on console. :( Assuming it gets better!

It's terrible. I just bought this recently myself and was looking forward to it. I was in the middle of Chapter 2 but wasn't enjoying it, the clunkiness you are talking about ruins the game for me. Stopped playing a few days ago and don't think I will bother returning.

Caporegime
I remember all the hype when everyone was practically frothing at the mouth saying it would be the best game ever. Now look at you all! :p I'm still waiting for the 4K60 next-gen version before I try it.

Soldato
I remember all the hype when everyone was practically frothing at the mouth saying it would be the best game ever. Now look at you all! :p I'm still waiting for the 4K60 next-gen version before I try it.
It is amongst my top 5 games easily tbh and that is from a guy who endlessly slagged it off before release because I had zero faith (groan) in Rockstar delivering their typical SP experience. They exceeded my expectations imo.

Soldato
I think most people here enjoyed the hell out of it, they're just done with it.

It's still the most impressive game in years, world building, immersion, weather, animations and graphics. Had loads of fun just exploring, discovering details and hunting. The shootouts still felt great even with the tanky controls, I got used to them after 30 mins.

Don't know what people were expecting, it was going to be a slow-paced, story-driven western not a reskinned GTA. It was the same with TLoU, reading those complaints about boring gameplay and that story was weak even though the game gained universal acclaim:p You can't please everybody.

Soldato
I think most people here enjoyed the hell out of it, they're just done with it.

It's still the most impressive game in years, world building, immersion, weather, animations and graphics. Had loads of fun just exploring, discovering details and hunting. The shootouts still felt great even with the tanky controls, I got used to them after 30 mins.

Don't know what people were expecting, it was going to be a slow-paced, story-driven western not a reskinned GTA. It was the same with TLoU, reading those complaints about boring gameplay and that story was weak even though the game gained universal acclaim:p You can't please everybody.

RD2 may have been critically acclaimed (which means very little nowadays) but I wouldn't agree that it got the same response from players that the TLoU did. It's a good game with some great parts but it has some pretty glaring flaws imo. TLoU had its detractors but I dont think they were as prevalent as RD2, you can see that reflected in user metarating, 8 on ps4 and 7.4 on XB1, whereas TLoU remaster is sitting at 9.1 and the original on ps3 is 9.2.

Associate
Yeah naughty dog are way above R* for me now after RDR2. Naughty dog’s releases are always stunning and impeccably polished. Whereas RDR2 simply wasn’t imo.

Soldato
Yeah naughty dog are way above R* for me now after RDR2. Naughty dog’s releases are always stunning and impeccably polished. Whereas RDR2 simply wasn’t imo.

Have you even played through it, to be fair? Because the last time I remember, you complained about lack of HDR and said you wouldn't play it because of that. It's kinda hard to give an opinion about a game's polish if you didn't really play it.

Yeah, HDR should be fixed but the game itself is really polished and you won't find this level of detail and immersion even in ND titles, as much as I love them all. If borked HDR is enough to label it as unpolished without really experiencing it then okay but it's a bit weird.

And that TLOU comparison was just to illustrate differing opinions because there are still quite a few people who think it's mediocre. It's hard to compare a short linear game with RDR2 and say it had less flaws. By the time you finish prologue and get used to the mechanics in RDR2 you're halfway through TLoU. IMO, both were excellent. There was nothing riding on TLoU then as it was a new franchise. With RDR2 I think people just expected something different, I expected a sequel to RDR and got it. ND have never produced anything of RDR2's scale, if they do we'll see how they fare as there's a lot more to factor in when designing a believable world like that.

Back
Top Bottom