• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
That video you linked is pathetic aimed at fanboys who lap up any old biased crap.
He complained that Intel tested with both systems using stock RAM speeds. :rolleyes:
How could Intel even test a Ryzen laptop chip at 3,733 RAM!
Does that imply that the Intel system should be handicapped to 2,400 because that's the best AMD offer?
In which case when he tests Zen 2 against an i7-8700 he should use DDR4-2667 for both systems as otherwise to quote him, "are we testing RAM speed or the CPU". :p
Apart from the blatantly biased nature of the content, what a weird and creepy voice he has.

Its in the same vain that AMD clock their current GPU's about as high as they can go so they somewhat keep up with nVidia, in the same way AMD also did that to the FX-9590, so it could keep up with a 3770K.

That is and was pathetic.

Here Intel are introducing a brand new platform on their 10nm node, and it can't keep up with AMD's older architecture without running the memory at close to 4Ghz, the Ryzen 3700u is the same as the three year old 14nm First Gen Vega iGPU's refreshed on 12nm.

Ice Lake was supposed to be Intel's new wunderkind.

No wonder Intel's top brass looked like this at Computex, They don't have any answers to what AMD are doing these days.

PS: you'd need to be pretty desperate to hire Ryan Shrout for PR. Its a bit like the Tories hiring Alastair Campbell

iS9khUD.png

Associate
Its in the same vain that AMD clock their current GPU's about as high as they can go so they somewhat keep up with nVidia, in the same way AMD also did that to the FX-9590, so it could keep up with a 3770K. That is and was pathetic.
It's ironic though as on the one hand loads of people on this thread want to know how high they can overclock the RAM with Zen 2, yet some people are complaining that Intel's stock speed is too high! LMAO. ;)
The bias is so transparent with some and that bloke in the video you linked is one of the worst I've seen. What a joke.

Caporegime
It's ironic though as on the one hand loads of people on this thread want to know how high they can overclock the RAM with Zen 2, yet some people are complaining that Intel's stock speed is too high! LMAO. ;)
The bias is so transparent with some and that bloke in the video you linked is one of the worst I've seen. What a joke.

Thats simply because 'on Zen / Zen+' the CPU performance scales with Memory Speed.

At over 3000Mhz the gaming performance is very good, the thinking is at over 4000Mhz it might be mind blowing, so of course people are keen to see Intel and beyond levels of memory speeds.

For optimal latency, the limits are around the same <as before>.

Apparently 4000Mhz memory is easily achievable on X570.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Thats simply because 'on Zen / Zen+' the CPU performance scales with Memory Speed.

At over 3000Mhz the gaming performance is very good, the thinking is at over 4000Mhz it might be mind blowing, so of course people are keen to see Intel and beyond levels of memory speeds.

Of course it scales, you only have to look at my posting in the R20 thread to see that. I have the highest ram speed along with only a 50mhz higher clock than the Ryzen 2700x below mine. The difference is actually down to ramspeed.

Caporegime
Of course it scales, you only have to look at my posting in the R20 thread to see that. I have the highest ram speed along with only a 50mhz higher clock than the Ryzen 2700x below mine. The difference is actually down to ramspeed.

Or this... first thing i did when i got mine....

KL0X7m5.png

Without knowing the timings it's kinda meaningless to a degree

This is too true.

Associate
Its game testing, i thought i made that clear in a previous post? the memory speed has the same dramatic performance effect on Intel's iGPU's as it does on AMD's.

Its in the same vain that AMD clock their current GPU's about as high as they can go so they somewhat keep up with nVidia, in the same way AMD also did that to the FX-9590, so it could keep up with a 3770K. That is and was pathetic.
You seem to have a split mind on this:
On the one hand the RAM speed helps the Intel iGPU dramatically.
On the other they are pathetic for running high RAM speeds.

They are only supporting LPDDR4 above 3,200 not DDR4 so it's not likely to be damaging power consumption much.

Soldato
Or this... first thing i did when i got mine

To be honest it wasn't the first thing i did when i got mine.
I just did what i always do with ram, and clocked it as high and as tight as i could. Never was and never have been interested in what some site has done. They are ALL complete rubbish when it comes to ram, they will be this time round as well because ALL off them have no idea what they are doing.

Soldato
Been looking into RAM, I think I will have to settle for 16GB for now and upgrade in future if I have the need to. Found some GSkill Trident Z F4-3600C16D-16GTZR for a decent price. From what I can gather it's B-die too. Any reason not to pull the trigger on them?

Been looking into RAM, I think I will have to settle for 16GB for now and upgrade in future if I have the need to. Found some GSkill Trident Z F4-3600C16D-16GTZR for a decent price. From wha tI can gather it's B-die too. Any reason not to pull the trigger on them?

Save some cash and just go for: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html (unless you want RGB)

Good timings and they should OC nicely.
Put the money you save towards a better GPU or CPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
I struggle with my ram when it is NOT using the XMP profile. Doesn't even matter if I set it to the same settings manually, it just doesn't want to play ball. I used to have a lot of issues with my 1600 and it losing overclocks, memory freq but has been stable for a long time now thankfully. My assumption is that by gen 3 they have pretty much resolved this stuff bar beta bioses. I do recall silent scone saying that there were still some issues compared to Intel overclocking though.

Looking forward to it. Looks like the beta bios for my b350 tomahawk supports the "new upcoming" cpus which is great news.

Soldato
Save some cash and just go for: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html (unless you want RGB)

Good timings and they should OC nicely.
Put the money you save towards a better GPU.

Interesting. Food for thought. Really don't know a lot about RAM to be perfectly honest. The 8pack RAM would be better at 3200mhz and the lower latency? I guess there's no telling if Zen2 will run the Gskill at 3600mhz nicely just yet so hard to know.

Interesting. Food for thought. Really don't know a lot about RAM to be perfectly honest. The 8pack RAM would be better at 3200mhz and the lower latency? I guess there's no telling if Zen2 will run the Gskill at 3600mhz nicely just yet so hard to know.

They would be perfectly acceptable @3200, but most people are pushing these far higher than that without a problem (read the customer reviews).
Personally I'd say the sweet spot is somewhere around 3466.

Review conclusion: https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/team_dark_pro_8_pack_edition_review,12.html

Associate
I have those Gskill 3600mhz C16 RGBs and they dropped straight into my CH6 and run on the Stilts fast 3200mhz preset no issues.

I will be moving them to my 3800x build and I'm hoping they'll run at 3600mhz with no issues at all

Soldato
They would be perfectly acceptable @3200, but most people are pushing these far higher than that without a problem (read the customer reviews).
Personally I'd say the sweet spot is somewhere around 3466.

Review conclusion: https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/team_dark_pro_8_pack_edition_review,12.html

Sounds good. It's looking like a close call between the two. I don't need RGB but the G.skill stuff sure is good looking!

I have those Gskill 3600mhz C16 RGBs and they dropped straight into my CH6 and run on the Stilts fast 3200mhz preset no issues.

I will be moving them to my 3800x build and I'm hoping they'll run at 3600mhz with no issues at all

That's good to hear. I am very tempted by them. It also helps that I have vouchers to use so the cost difference isn't the end of the world.

Back
Top Bottom