Quake II RTX

Associate
OP
Will this work at all on Pascal hardware or is it exclusively Turing?

Nvidia has enabled ray tracing on pascal.
How well it will run on pascal is a different matter though.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-to-enable-directx-raytracing-dxr-for-pascal-and-volta

[EDIT]

Hmmm dunno exactly... tends to indicate you need RT cores.

Quake II RTX Minimum System Requirements
Processor: Intel Core i3-3220, or AMD equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, or higher
Storage: 2GB available space

Caporegime
I never thought Quake II was a particularly great game (in single player)

As a tech showcase, sure...but it only came out 11 months before Half-Life, which was a much better game.

I did play a fair bit of Deathmatch, Q2 CTF, and 'Action Q2' though.

Man of Honour

Surprised it doesn't need Windows 10 - but assuming Vulkan is used I guess it won't have the same requirements as a DX implementation.

Why's it all bright? yuck

Like Quake 1, the originals were dark and gritty. This looks way too like Crysis or Farcry

I'm disappointed by the blue and yellow skies and sunlight colours - seems whoever did this completely ignored the original setting - though a blue sky does change the look and feel of the original in quite a strange way for instance (not RTX):

https://imgur.com/IDQ0Ypi

Last edited:
Caporegime
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1089130/Quake_II_RTX/

So how fast is it?
On a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti with a not-quite-final version of Quake II RTX, we saw roughly 97 fps at a resolution of 1920x1080, with visual quality set to high. For comparison, we saw about 419 fps in Quake II, set to 1920x1080 with 8x anisotropic filtering and multisampling turned off, using the OpenGL 3.2 renderer on a Core i7-9750H laptop with a GeForce GTX 1660 Ti GPU. We had to patch the Steam version first using the Yamagi patch.

If you’re underwhelmed by 97 fps on a $1,200 GeForce RTX 2080 Ti card, remember what’s going on here. The game is implementing a fully path-traced renderer and is computationally expensive to run. It’s a technique that’s really only been used in 3D movies to date, and fairly recently, too.

It also yields some beautiful effects. Glass windows and water in Quake II RTX obviously seem like night and day from the original version. So if you’re going to snark about “only 97 fps” on a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, know that a game session of Quake II RTX will easily render more ray-traced frames than a full-length animated movie, and in real time, too.

Soldato
No laughing. 42 FPS using a 2080 at the very start. :). Default settings - can't see much to change atm. Switched to OPENGL rendering and probably hitting the limit at 1000FPS.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does the game scale well with resolution? ie are you missing out by going 1080p instead of 4k? usually these older games don't benefit much from it.

Caporegime
Does the game scale well with resolution? ie are you missing out by going 1080p instead of 4k? usually these older games don't benefit much from it.
The original game is 370mb

This is a 1GB download, but I doubt 4k will change anything noticable, other than making the text really teeny tiny.

Soldato
Only tried it for a few mins and assuming it's using my native res of 1440P to get the 42 - 48 FPS
Now tried 1080P and getting over 60 FPS now with global illum high. Looked nicer at 1440P I think but only tried both resoltuiosn quickly

Raz

Raz

Soldato
No laughing. 42 FPS using a 2080 at the very start. :). Default settings - can't see much to change atm. Switched to OPENGL rendering and probably hitting the limit at 1000FPS.

Just tried it and got 30-40fps (on a 2080). Not as smooth as I was hoping...

Caporegime
It's not often I get tempted about upgrading over one game but I'd love to try this out. Obviously, my GPU can't do RT...period, though I wish it could run it even at terrible something fps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom