• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
^^^ people also forget PCB layers play a HUGE part in ram.

Hence why records are set on ITX being 2 Dimm and 8 player PCB.
Other boards, flagship ATX like Xtreme and Meg are also 8 layers .

I've listed up layers for Aorus/Gigabyte boards but need to hunt down the other brands

Soldato
Like a lot of people, I'm most wanting to see if the 3700x can match the 3800x clocked on good cooling. It's quite a price jump for very little extra.

Well the 2700 vs 2700X

and 1700 vs 1700X/1800X

was only like a ~100mhz when both overclocked to the maximum.

If the same hold true, the 3700X is the smarter buy especially now that it comes with the wraith prism cooler.

Soldato
T topology is worse than daisy chain with 2 dimms and you can already do 32GB with 2 dimms so not needed by most people.

I've also only seen T on higher end boards as it requires more complex routing and I suspect more layers.

8pack said all x570 boards he tried would do 3733 @ 16x2 or 8x4 with the right memory.

Well We'll have to see if going beyond that is worth the IF speed penalty

Which is why I said keep the 2 slot boards for people like you who think 4 dimm slots is no use.

I think its pretty dodgy to put a supported memory speed in spec of board, and not disclose that only applies for the primary dimm slots because its daisy chain. Something I am a victim of on my current board (can only do 3000mhz on secondary slots).

It also applies on my b450 board (not in my sig) asrock on that board at least put in the manual the dimms cannot run very fast in the secondary dimm slots but still missing on the advertised specs. As one only sees the manual after buying the board.

Soldato
Well the 2700 vs 2700X

and 1700 vs 1700X/1800X

was only like a ~100mhz when both overclocked to the maximum.

If the same hold true, the 3700X is the smarter buy especially now that it comes with the wraith prism cooler.
The problem is that stock performance with precision boost is often higher than manual overclocking in any workload that isn't using all the cores. Hopefully there's a way to make the 3700X boost higher without a manual all-core setting (e.g. removing TDP limits or something). Otherwise, at 65 W TDP, it may only boost to like 3.7-3.8 GHz on anything under 1-2 core utilisation, whereas the R7 3800X might get to 4.2-4.3 GHz on higher core workloads.

Associate
nothing but some of us dont want to power up a nuclear plant to power one single cpu and have it run hot enough to fry eggs on.

If I owned a 9900k it wouldnt be anywhere near close to 5ghz all cores due to its inefficiency.

Depends highly on your silicon lottery. Mine does 1.26v in bios and runs at 5ghz all core on an "ok" air cooler. Dark rock 4. I suppose if you have a poor chip and need 1.35v or above, it's more relateable.

Associate
Which is why I said keep the 2 slot boards for people like you who think 4 dimm slots is no use.

I think its pretty dodgy to put a supported memory speed in spec of board, and not disclose that only applies for the primary dimm slots because its daisy chain. Something I am a victim of on my current board (can only do 3000mhz on secondary slots).

It also applies on my b450 board (not in my sig) asrock on that board at least put in the manual the dimms cannot run very fast in the secondary dimm slots but still missing on the advertised specs. As one only sees the manual after buying the board.

The problem is the same applies with t-topology - you'll find it harder to hit rated clocks with 2 dimms than you would with 4 dimms. I just wish manufacturers would make it clearer in the specs!

Soldato
The problem is that stock performance with precision boost is often higher than manual overclocking in any workload that isn't using all the cores. Hopefully there's a way to make the 3700X boost higher without a manual all-core setting (e.g. removing TDP limits or something). Otherwise, at 65 W TDP, it may only boost to like 3.7-3.8 GHz on anything under 1-2 core utilisation, whereas the R7 3800X might get to 4.2-4.3 GHz on higher core workloads.

P-states overclocking has existed since the X370.

Back
Top Bottom