• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
That's one hell of an oversimplification of what PBO is.
Power is just one component of a PBO overclock.

It is still using p-states regardless of the input parameters. Nor is PBO automatically stable.

So you should be able to manually achieve the same. Anyone that puts in the effort should be able to.

The difference between p-states overclocking and all-core overclocking is 200mhz at most anyway.

Permabanned
So your R7 2700X is at 4.24 GHz...is that max boost or all core boost? Does it still go to 4.35 GHz single core like it would at stock?
nope im at 4257 drops to 22xx had it dropping to 1000 but felt to slow for browser hahaha.
PBO oc sucks for anythign else than gaming. Stability with it is just crap on heavy loads could not get that stable no matter what.

Soldato
nope im at 4257 drops to 22xx had it dropping to 1000 but felt to slow for browser hahaha.
PBO oc sucks for anythign else than gaming. Stability with it is just crap on heavy loads could not get that stable no matter what.

Well, my CH6 with PBO and PE Level 4 has always been as stable as a stable thing, bolted to a stable floor with some very strong bolts. Ok, not at 4.3Ghz allcore, but defo at 4.25Ghz all core. And yes it does auto downclock to 2.2Ghz @ 0.813v when idle.

Permabanned
Well, my CH6 with PBO and PE Level 4 has always been as stable as a stable thing, bolted to a stable floor with some very strong bolts. Ok, not at 4.3Ghz allcore, but defo at 4.25Ghz all core. And yes it does auto downclock to 2.2Ghz @ 0.813v when idle.
no matter what i it ey cant pass ibt high x10 so dropped it after week of messing around.

Soldato
I'm not sure why people think they can do a better job than AMD engineers with their overclocks.
Well typically factory settings have to be very conservative for the very worst chips so there's always going to be some headroom on 99% of chips. Also they're never going to be configured for maximum performance out of the box because the TDP has to be taken into account.

Soldato
Well typically factory settings have to be very conservative for the very worst chips so there's always going to be some headroom on 99% of chips. Also they're never going to be configured for maximum performance out of the box because the TDP has to be taken into account.

Of course they do. But with the right mobo and the right cooling that changes. For a start TDP goes out the window, otherwise how do you explain my clock for instance ? In fact, TDP goes completely out the window and all the way down the road when i put my rig under phase.

Associate
Having not had a Ryzen CPU before are XFR and PBO something you have to enable on the motherboard? And does PBO push the CPU over its stated max turbo if it’s within safe thresholds?

...and neither will a manual overclock, unless you like your setup fried. That's the point; irrespective of what your setup is, PBO will find the optimum performance automatically, and it'll still clock down when idle.
If you're not comfortable with your limits being dynamic then you don't switch PBO on, and just allow PB2 and XFR2 to do their thing within the predefined limits.

Associate
I've decided to stay on my 8700k. I'm still going mini itx, but will just buy a itx board and new case and call it a day. Going full blown AMD Ryzen 3000 would have been too costly. Looked into it more last night and I'll be saving £500+ and atm I just can't afford another £500.
Seems wise, there's no way I'd be buying Ryzen 3000 just yet if I had an 8700K especially with a bit of an overclock unless I absolutely needed more than six cores for work. For gaming and pretty much everything it should be fine for a year or two and probably much longer.

Soldato
...and neither will a manual overclock, unless you like your setup fried. That's the point; irrespective of what your setup is, PBO will find the optimum performance automatically, and it'll still clock down when idle.
If you're not comfortable with your limits being dynamic then you don't switch PBO on, and just allow PB2 and XFR2 to do their thing within the predefined limits.

Haven’t had an AMD cpu in over 10 years.

My experience with Intels boost clocks - was that As load dropped during game the clock speed on the cpu would drop. Then under load it would shoot up again. This constant up and down of clock speed created microstuttering in the games. This is actually the reason I started o erclocking cpus m, not for performance but games run much smoother on Intel when clock speeds stay the same and don’t fluctuate

Does this happen on amd as well?

Associate
Haven’t had an AMD cpu in over 10 years.

My experience with Intels boost clocks - was that As load dropped during game the clock speed on the cpu would drop. Then under load it would shoot up again. This constant up and down of clock speed created microstuttering in the games. This is actually the reason I started o erclocking cpus m, not for performance but games run much smoother on Intel when clock speeds stay the same and don’t fluctuate

Does this happen on amd as well?

Potentially not as much with this generation, as the time taken to adjust clocks is in the order of single digit milliseconds rather than 10-100x that (I think earlier gen intel were worse than recent gen). The granularity of the steps is much smaller as well I think, which may or may not be related.
Will be very happy if it works, but will have to wait for reviews or (more likely) experience from forum folk more eager than myself.

Back
Top Bottom