What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Brightburn (2019) - 8/10

A darker and more sinister take on the superhero origin story and although it doesn’t really do much with the origin story premise, I still enjoyed it.

Good acting and special effects with moments of horror and gore, although it could have been a lot darker and more stylish at times.

Man of Honour
21 Jump Street - 10/10. They really caught lightning in a bottle with this one. The characters are believable, there is a fair bit of heart / some feels and oodles of utterly bizarre, seemingly completely ab libbed dialogue. There are soooo many funny lines. I don’t know why I feel the need to list my favourites but:

“Not so slim shady?!”

“I was gay when you punched me!”

“You’ll be in jail with a snorkel taped to your mouth. And they’ll be me..... ******ing down that snorkel”

“Actually, you do have the right to be an attorney, if you want to”

“.... You cherub looking mother...”

“Someone died in the school and nobody including me is doing anything about it”

“Hey! Leave Korean Jesus alone! He’s busy. With Korean ****”

“Yeah I’ll beat your **** off with both hands, let’s go”

“I’ve never prayed before so I don’t know how to finish this. End. End?”

“That’s... a baton penis!”

“Go! Go! Stayyyy.... hurrrggnnn you’re so hot!!!!”

“Put that tongue back in... and you... no wait, that’s pretty good”

It’s aged superbly too. I really can’t think of any better modern comedy.

22 Jump Street - 7/10. This has plenty of laughs but less heart. Schmidt’s character is a bit whinier and less likeable. Also the tone of the film seems to be ‘very self aware’ and fourth wall breaking. Funny in its own way but not close to touching the first.

Soldato
21 Jump Street - 10/10. They really caught lightning in a bottle with this one. The characters are believable, there is a fair bit of heart / some feels and oodles of utterly bizarre, seemingly completely ab libbed dialogue. There are soooo many funny lines. I don’t know why I feel the need to list my favourites but:
Love this. Can't remember if it's 21 or 22 with the end roller counting up through the sequels. So funny :p

Man of Honour
Love this. Can't remember if it's 21 or 22 with the end roller counting up through the sequels. So funny :p
It’s 22 with that ending. Love it when Seth Rogan shows up :D

Another great funny / feel good line from the end of 21:
getting the rights down together.... do you understand these rights as they have been read to you? **** you!!!!!

Man of Honour
The Big Lebowski - I’d never seen this before. Dumb character gets caught up in absurd caper and bumbles his way through with his absurd bumbling friends. Absolute nonsense, very funny and something about it made me think there was something ‘very clever’ going on that was just beyond my grasp. Or maybe it was all just a nonsense. More than anything, it DID make me feel good. Just the way this man was seemingly content with his simple existence. Just living and not worrying. How interesting...

Good film :)

Soldato
The Big Lebowski - I’d never seen this before. Dumb character gets caught up in absurd caper and bumbles his way through with his absurd bumbling friends. Absolute nonsense, very funny and something about it made me think there was something ‘very clever’ going on that was just beyond my grasp. Or maybe it was all just a nonsense. More than anything, it DID make me feel good. Just the way this man was seemingly content with his simple existence. Just living and not worrying. How interesting...

I feel like it's one that, in common with many coen brothers films, really benefits from subsequent viewings. The more I watch it, the more I like it!

Soldato
Due to the posters above I decided to watch 21 Jump Street again. It really is a very funny film. I’d forgotten Brie Larson was in it but she didn’t look like Brie Larson, more like another actor was being her.

22 Jump Street tomorrow night.

Caporegime
Liam Gallagher's new film 'As You Was' - 8/10

Supersonic was all about the crazy Oasis years, whereas this was from Beady Eye onwards. Definitely showed a more mature side to him and it's interesting to see how he's held it all together over the years. Good stuff.

Soldato

Love this film :)

Soldato

This was the film that got me into the Cohen Brothers, seen it so many times. I just recommended it to someone last week actually and they saw it for the first time at the weekend. Such an awesome film

Soldato
The Head Hunter.

Not everyone likes indie movies. They're an acquired taste, and many of them (if not most) them are pretty awful. But the gems are out there if you look for them.

I'm an indie movie fan, and I'm here to tell you that if you see only one indie movie this year, it should be The Head Hunter.

The best part about this movie is the fact that it was made on a budget of just $30,000, but enjoys the look and feel of a film produced in Hollywood for 1,000 times that amount.

Obviously they had to cut corners somewhere. Here's how they did it:

* a cast of 3
* only one speaking part
* running time of just 72 minutes
* filmed entirely on location in Portugal

The Head Hunter is extremely ambitious for a micro-budget indie movie, but it fulfills those ambitions with tremendous gravitas. Critically, it holds fast to the golden rule of cinematic exposition: show, don't tell. The short running time allows for very little context (we're thrown into the deep end right from the start) but The Head Hunter drip feeds enough background information to fill in the blanks.

The climax is stunning, and took my breath away.

I rate The Head Hunter at 29.97 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as an incredible 9/10 on IMDB.

Absolutely brilliant!

Saw this last night and sure, as you say, it's a low budget indie film but what they do with that budget is phenomenal. Definitely recommend you put this on your 'one to watch' list.

Soldato

:D

Back
Top Bottom