• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Man of Honour
I do not have the waterblock any more. Sold it 8 months ago as I was using a reference board & cooler since October. (until the EK Predator decided to chew the filter).
Just leave 1 screw near the end of the board (to the right as you see it upside down). Mine was missing few screws, and because I used the original X bracket, uses 4 long ones with the springs and had 4 missing from the backplate.
Thanks for the info :)

So with the 4 longer screws on the X bracket, did you take the springs from the small screws with springs attached, as the springs didn't seem to want to come off the little screws?

Man of Honour
Thanks for the info :)

So with the 4 longer screws on the X bracket, did you take the springs from the small screws with springs attached, as the springs didn't seem to want to come off the little screws?
I should clarify, the springs that came with the screws with the GPU block, or did you use the springs that came with the Nitro and put them on the longer screws?

Soldato
This is quite interesting, I swapped out my son's rx 580 for my Vega 64 last night just to see if would fit in his case (which it does with about 1/2" clearance in a Kolink strong hold). So while it was in there I thought I'd try to run it on a "Be quiet 500w psu. So, connected it up and booted to windows, fine i thought, how long would it last before it crashed in a benchie? Set wattman up and dropped the max frequency to 1500mhz, undervolted to 1075mv and gave it a go.
Worked fine, tried another benchie, worked fine. In the end my son played an hours worth of Wow with no probs whatsoever and all the while I was checking the temps of the psu with my hand and it was barely warm. Gpu was pulling 180w btw
So these vega 64 cards can run on a 500w psu, BUT, I don't kn ow for how long, or what would happen in other games (I heard that WOW is more cpu intensive than gpu) and I'll be replacing that psu with my old coolermaster, V700 for safety reasons, but it was interesting that it actually ran fine, nice and stable with a 500w psu.
I do NOT recommend anyone try this long term, but as a stop gap measure it seemd to work ok

Soldato
This is quite interesting, I swapped out my son's rx 580 for my Vega 64 last night just to see if would fit in his case (which it does with about 1/2" clearance in a Kolink strong hold). So while it was in there I thought I'd try to run it on a "Be quiet 500w psu. So, connected it up and booted to windows, fine i thought, how long would it last before it crashed in a benchie? Set wattman up and dropped the max frequency to 1500mhz, undervolted to 1075mv and gave it a go.
Worked fine, tried another benchie, worked fine. In the end my son played an hours worth of Wow with no probs whatsoever and all the while I was checking the temps of the psu with my hand and it was barely warm. Gpu was pulling 180w btw
So these vega 64 cards can run on a 500w psu, BUT, I don't kn ow for how long, or what would happen in other games (I heard that WOW is more cpu intensive than gpu) and I'll be replacing that psu with my old coolermaster, V700 for safety reasons, but it was interesting that it actually ran fine, nice and stable with a 500w psu.
I do NOT recommend anyone try this long term, but as a stop gap measure it seemd to work ok
It's more about the quality of the PSU and how reliable/strong is their 12v rail.

A undervolted and overclocked Vega64 consume around 230~290W (depending on the voltage and clock speed), so with the 3600x drawing around only...let's say 100W, that still only around 330~390W in power consumption, and with plenty to spare for whatever other components may require the power.

So long as the CPU is not being overclocked using high vcore, 500W should not be a problem.

Soldato
I could really use a bit of advice. I've just got my first custom loop up and running so i'm now able to start messing around with Wattman. So far all i've done is undervolt the GPU and overclock the memory slightly (see image below).

KuqzvLc.png

I've just been playing Tropico 6 and i'm noticing a lot of slow down (dropping to 40 FPS) and when i look at my OSD i can see the GPU downclocking and dropping the voltage A LOT, sometimes the GPU clock is like 24mhz!

As you can see from my screenshot above i've locked it at State 6 and my understanding was that the GPU would never downclock/volt below that setting?

Being water cooled temps are great so i dont know why the GPU behaving the way it is. Any advice would be appreciated.

Soldato
@Goose I don't even bother with state 6, just lock state 7. First mistake I see though is the HBM voltage (which actually controls core voltage, and acts as the "floor", i.e. the minimum voltage the core gets) is set to be the same as P7 and is above P6. That's a no-no. It's gonna take a lot of tinkering & recording stats to find out what the ideal voltages are for your card, even when wanting maximum performance let alone also best efficiency.

Give my settings a go, see how they do. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32727890

Soldato
@Goose I don't even bother with state 6, just lock state 7. First mistake I see though is the HBM voltage (which actually controls core voltage, and acts as the "floor", i.e. the minimum voltage the core gets) is set to be the same as P7 and is above P6. That's a no-no. It's gonna take a lot of tinkering & recording stats to find out what the ideal voltages are for your card, even when wanting maximum performance let alone also best efficiency.

Give my settings a go, see how they do. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32727890

Thanks for that. Whilst that has improved things i'm still getting a lot of downclocking/volting. It regularly drops to 0.8v and 1100mhz. :(

Soldato
Thanks for that. Whilst that has improved things i'm still getting a lot of downclocking/volting. It regularly drops to 0.8v and 1100mhz. :(

That shouldn't happen. Must be that some component of the GPU is throttling. Definitely stress test it and monitor every temperature sensor for the GPU with HWinfo.

Soldato
You can use Timespy extreme, but I like pure DX12 games as they seem to really crush the GPU. SotTR would be a good bet, max everything out and if you aren't at 4K then bump the MSAA high.

Turns out i'm actually a moron. For some reason the settings for tropico was disabled which is why it wasn't working as expected.

I've played a bit more with the settings enabled and the core clock now stays above 1600mhz at all times although the voltage will still drop sometimes to below 1.1v. It seems to never ago above 1.1v though despite the Wattman setting being 1150 as per your suggested settings. I've also reduced the memory down to 1000mhz as 1075 was making things crash.

Thanks for your help, btw.

Soldato
Turns out i'm actually a moron. For some reason the settings for tropico was disabled which is why it wasn't working as expected.

I've played a bit more with the settings enabled and the core clock now stays above 1600mhz at all times although the voltage will still drop sometimes to below 1.1v. It seems to never ago above 1.1v though despite the Wattman setting being 1150 as per your suggested settings. I've also reduced the memory down to 1000mhz as 1075 was making things crash.

Thanks for your help, btw.

Yeah, voltage generally sits around 1.1v, doesn't actually go all out even though it's like that in wattman, took me a lot of tinkering to figure it out. Glad it worked out in the end!

Associate
Can anyone with the Vega 64 nitro+ give me any insight on its 1440p performance @ stock values?

I'm between the vega 64 and 5700XT I feel like with the AiB coolers the 5700XT is looking to expensive £440 minimum that's like £140 over the Vega 64

Associate
Can anyone with the Vega 64 nitro+ give me any insight on its 1440p performance @ stock values?

I'm between the vega 64 and 5700XT I feel like with the AiB coolers the 5700XT is looking to expensive £440 minimum that's like £140 over the Vega 64

nobody runs vega 'stock' as the stock profile throttles the card

but with a basic undervolt profile the nitro+ is a great card for the money you can get them at today

Back
Top Bottom