Netflix: Drive to Survive

Soldato
I nailed it in one day as I had the day off of work. I feel for a casual F1 fan it would probably be good but it was a bit too dramatic for my liking. May as well have called it Good Guy Daniel, featuring Scumbag Max and **** driver Romain.

Soldato
I nailed it in one day as I had the day off of work. I feel for a casual F1 fan it would probably be good but it was a bit too dramatic for my liking. May as well have called it Good Guy Daniel, featuring Scumbag Max and **** driver Romain.
The casual viewer is probably their target audience so the drama aspect should be taken with a pinch of salt imo.

Man of Honour
It's exactly what it needed to be, dramatised highlights of the season with some key personalities to draw in new fans to the sport.

F1 for decades has been for us keen enthusiasts, Liberty have at last taken steps to bring more of the casual viewer. Netflix is ideal for that.

I'm actually curious if anyone new to the sport through Netflix will pop their heads into this thread or the race weekend threads, seems to already have this effect on F1 subreddit.

Man of Honour
Enjoying the mid field story and glad Merc and Ferrari didn’t get involved as it would have all been about them. That said, the post production commentary is pure cringe - probably not noticeable for the casual viewer, although I suspect they will see through all the ‘drama’.

Man of Honour
Some of the later episodes are much better. The Red Bull vs Renault episode is brilliant as is the Grosjean focussed episode.

Horner and Abiteboul before the engine press conference :D

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Max and the Ocon incident was hilarious.

“If you ask me another question about it, I’m going to headbutt someone” - Max.

That and what he said about Danny Ric... What a total bell.

Associate
Im gradually making my way through the series. Enjoying so far, good to see some of the main protagonists not holding back to much (reading above that sounds like its even more prevalent in later episodes too)

Soldato
I watched the lot the other week. Quite enjoyed it to be honest.

Gunther Steiner had me in stiches. Plus the suck my balls moment! :p

I can see the bias - but I take it with a pinch of salt. Was just good to see some behind the scenes stuff that was less sanitised / staged than what you see on Sky / C4.

Associate
Seen up to episode 6 I think. Günther Steiner is brutal, especially towards Grosjean :eek:
After the wheels came off literally, when he was on the phone to gene... Gene we would have looked like Rock stars, now we look like ******. Or something along those line

Last edited by a moderator:

smr

smr

Soldato
Fantastic series. I really don't get the dramatisation comments... we watch the real thing every other weekend most months of the year, so if we're going to watch a TV series about it why would we want it in a real life edited kind of way, wouldn't have the same impact. I like all the sound fx etc. I think it adds to the visceral feel and storytelling / drama of the sport.

Caporegime
Just watched this. I was avoiding it due to how poor the past seasons have been but the drama behind the scenes is far better to watch than the racing itself. My two highlights.

The bit about Renault engines was hilarious.

The bit about Ocon losing his seat to a rich daddy's kid just sums up the state of F1 now.

Back
Top Bottom