• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
You let it happen in your mind mate, all in your mind. Easy way to aleviate; buy that 3700X and have that fluffy feeling all day that some new shiny is turning up tomorrow. EXCITED!
you on commission at OcUK :p and sadly as a resident of the far flung corner of the UK that is Northern Ireland next day delivery from OcUK is but a dream :(

Permabanned
Soldato
One thing that is bothering me now is my VDDG voltage. I found some official AMD Ryzen master documentation that clearly specified that VDDG should be started at 1.1v for memory overclocking.

With SOC at 1.1v and VDDG on auto with current speed I was getting intermittent freezes. With SOC and VDDG at 1.1v my problems have disappeared and all is well.

Whats the issue you say?

Well previous BIOS didn't care about 1.1v on the VDDG voltage. Latest BIOS turns red when I set 1.1v on the VDDG.

Not sure if ASUS are trying to tell me that on this mobo 1.1v on the VDDG is considered high or it's completely fine and I am worrying about nothing.

Soldato
One thing that is bothering me now is my VDDG voltage. I found some official AMD Ryzen master documentation that clearly specified that VDDG should be started at 1.1v for memory overclocking.

With SOC at 1.1v and VDDG on auto with current speed I was getting intermittent freezes. With SOC and VDDG at 1.1v my problems have disappeared and all is well.

Whats the issue you say?

Well previous BIOS didn't care about 1.1v on the VDDG voltage. Latest BIOS turns red when I set 1.1v on the VDDG.

Not sure if ASUS are trying to tell me that on this mobo 1.1v on the VDDG is considered high or it's completely fine and I am worrying about nothing.

Probably just trying to warn you its outside of standard spec. You'd be amazed how many people who don't know much tinker, set things completely unrealistically and wonder why they have problems. Most motherboard manufacturers now do stuff like this because of that.

As you say, if AMD documentation say 1.1 is fine, then I suspect it's got more chance of being accurate than ASUS.

Hope all goes well for you this time
Thanks.
I'm looking forward to playing those awesome benchmarking games. :p
On a serious note, I doubt I do any major tinkering until MSI gets a new BIOS out. Maybe just some RAM tinkering.
After that I am going to test the responsiveness of opening up Chrome under the different power plans, just to see if it is worth sacrificing those milliseconds of my life.
Edit: my conclusion is likely to be that I wasted more of my life testing it than I could ever have gained by just choosing the 1ms option in the first instance; 15 minutes of testing versus 64285 times doing other stuff.

Permabanned
Thanks Zeed, I shall go have a look into that board.
I gotta be honest. ONE AND ONLY reason I went back to Asus for Ryzen when it came out was... USB ports on I/O Shield. I would have went ASRock Taichi x370 instead. As an oculus rift user i utilise:
3 usb ports for VR sensors fixed to my full scale vr gaming whatever living room.
1 for bluetooth adaptor for xbone pad and oculus touch controllers and oculus remote
1 usb to power VR helmet itself
1 mouse
1 keyboard
1 usb cable to charge my phone
1 to powetr my Saiyan RGB LAMP :D
So atm I got 8 devices plunged in and sadly Most moptherboards dont even have 6 on IO shield. And those VR sensors dont work well with usb hubs and best if they are on separate usb controllers. So got 1 in cpu usb3 1 in cpu sub2 with powered usb extention cable and 3rd in chipset usb3.

Thing is Crosshair VII is like 250 quid atm thats allot of motherboard when You look at x570 prices. But You wont get PCIE 4.0 cause AMD killed it off :/

Permabanned

Whats the issue you say?

It's because VDDG Should/NEEDS to be at least 40mv Below SoC voltage. Soc under load drops to below 1.1 and VDDG wants to pull 1.1 and thats why its ******.

From The Stilt:
Matisse introduced a new voltage adjusment, called cLDO_VDDG. VDDG is the fabric voltage.
At default it is 0.950V however, some motherboards might increase above the default level even at stock settings.

cLDO means the voltage uses a drop-out (LDO = low drop-out) regulator.
Most cLDO voltages are regulated from the two main power rails of the CPU. In case of cLDO_VDDG and cLDO_VDDP, they are regulated from the VDDCR_SoC plane.
Because of this, there are couple rules. For example, if you set the VDDG to 1.100V, while your actual SoC voltage under load is 1.05V the VDDG will stay roughly at 1.01V max.
Likewise if you have VDDG set to 1.100V and start increasing the SoC voltage, your VDDG will raise as well. I don't have the exact figure, but you can assume that the minimum drop-out voltage (Vin-Vout) is around 40mV.
Meaning you ACTUAL SoC voltage has to be at least by this much higher, than the requested VDDG for it to take effect as it is requested.

Adjusting the SoC voltage alone, unlike on previous gen. parts doesn't do much if anything at all.
The default value is fixed 1.100V and AMD recommends keeping it at that level. Increasing the VDDG helps with the fabric overclocking in certain scenarios, but not always.
1800MHz FCLK should be doable at the default 0.9500V value and for pushing the limits it might be beneficial to increase it to =< 1.05V (1.100 - 1.125V SoC, depending on the load-line).

https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-...echnical-matisse-not-really.html#post28031966

Soldato
It's because VDDG Should/NEEDS to be at least 40mv Below SoC voltage. Soc under load drops to below 1.1 and VDDG wants to pull 1.1 and thats why its ******.

From The Stilt:
Matisse introduced a new voltage adjusment, called cLDO_VDDG. VDDG is the fabric voltage.
At default it is 0.950V however, some motherboards might increase above the default level even at stock settings.

cLDO means the voltage uses a drop-out (LDO = low drop-out) regulator.
Most cLDO voltages are regulated from the two main power rails of the CPU. In case of cLDO_VDDG and cLDO_VDDP, they are regulated from the VDDCR_SoC plane.
Because of this, there are couple rules. For example, if you set the VDDG to 1.100V, while your actual SoC voltage under load is 1.05V the VDDG will stay roughly at 1.01V max.
Likewise if you have VDDG set to 1.100V and start increasing the SoC voltage, your VDDG will raise as well. I don't have the exact figure, but you can assume that the minimum drop-out voltage (Vin-Vout) is around 40mV.
Meaning you ACTUAL SoC voltage has to be at least by this much higher, than the requested VDDG for it to take effect as it is requested.

Adjusting the SoC voltage alone, unlike on previous gen. parts doesn't do much if anything at all.
The default value is fixed 1.100V and AMD recommends keeping it at that level. Increasing the VDDG helps with the fabric overclocking in certain scenarios, but not always.
1800MHz FCLK should be doable at the default 0.9500V value and for pushing the limits it might be beneficial to increase it to =< 1.05V (1.100 - 1.125V SoC, depending on the load-line).

https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-...echnical-matisse-not-really.html#post28031966

So should I put VDDG back to auto then? I do swear tho that since doing this my intermittent freezes are gone.

This is where I got my VDDG and SOC voltages from (page 34 AMD official documentation):

Screenshot-from-2019-08-08-11-19-43.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I gotta be honest. ONE AND ONLY reason I went back to Asus for Ryzen when it came out was... USB ports on I/O Shield. I would have went ASRock Taichi x370 instead. As an oculus rift user i utilise:
3 usb ports for VR sensors fixed to my full scale vr gaming whatever living room.
1 for bluetooth adaptor for xbone pad and oculus touch controllers and oculus remote
1 usb to power VR helmet itself
1 mouse
1 keyboard
1 usb cable to charge my phone
1 to powetr my Saiyan RGB LAMP :D
So atm I got 8 devices plunged in and sadly Most moptherboards dont even have 6 on IO shield. And those VR sensors dont work well with usb hubs and best if they are on separate usb controllers. So got 1 in cpu usb3 1 in cpu sub2 with powered usb extention cable and 3rd in chipset usb3.

Thing is Crosshair VII is like 250 quid atm thats allot of motherboard when You look at x570 prices. But You wont get PCIE 4.0 cause AMD killed it off :/

The Taichi has bluetooth though. That's one less Usb slot.

And can you show the lamp please lol. Big DB fan here.

Back
Top Bottom