• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

ljt

ljt

Soldato
He pressed the R-XMP button which reads the timings.

That "R-XMP" doesn't read your own actual memory XMP, it reads it from a "V1" baseline 93% quality IC (in the case of b-die anyway). You'll see it changes if you drop the profile to "V2" and hit "R-XMP" it will show different values.

If you want it to actually R-XMP your own memory, you first have to import XMP from an exported Thaiphoon report

Soldato
Technically he's not done that correctly though has he?. He hasn't imported his kits SPD into DRAM calculator first to see his current memory IC quality.

I have B-Die memory but it won't work on V1 timings as that assumes a 93% IC quality, where as mine is only 81%

How do you find your IC quality percentage? Thanks.

Soldato
I've got a 3800X on a Aorus Elite and I'm well happy with it. Let me know if you want to know anything.

I recently created a new thread actually as I didn't want to clog up this one speaking about motherboards. How are you finding it generally? Good BIOS updates and easy enough to use? Have you had the issues with boot times being slow?

ljt

ljt

Soldato
How do you find your IC quality percentage? Thanks.

Load up Taiphoon

>Click Read (at top)
>Click Read SPD (on any of the list that shows up)
>Click Report (at top)
>Scroll to bottom of report
>Click "show delays in nanoseconds"
>Click Export (at top)
>Click Complete HTML Report
>Save the file

Open DRAM Calculator

>Click Import XMP and choose the file you just saved
> In drop down lists choose the Processor version you want (i.e. Ryzen 2 gen for the 3000 series CPU's), Memory Type you have (i.e. B-die), Memory Rank, Frequency you are wanting to achieve and the amount of DIMMS, and which motherboard chipset you are using.
>Choose either safe or fast preset
>Click Advanced tab and near the bottom left it will tell you your IC quality and what it thinks is the best Frequency you will get

Soldato
Load up Taiphoon

>Click Read (at top)
>Click Report (at top)
>Click Export (at top)
>Save the file

Open DRAM Calculator

> In drop down lists choose the Processor version you want (i.e. Ryzen 2 gen for the 3000 series CPU's), Memory Type you have (i.e. B-die), Memory Rank, Frequency you are wanting to achieve and the amount of DIMMS, and which motherboard chipset you are using.
>Click Advanced tab and near the bottom left it will tell you your IC quality and what it thinks is the best Frequency you will get

+1
Spot on.

Associate
I recently created a new thread actually as I didn't want to clog up this one speaking about motherboards. How are you finding it generally? Good BIOS updates and easy enough to use? Have you had the issues with boot times being slow?

It's a good stable board with all of the features I need and more. I've come from an Intel platform and haven't find anything difficult to use. Just need a bit of Google-fu if you want to do any in-depth tweaking.
The VRMs are good especially for one of the less expensive boards.
The chipset fan is unnoticable to me and positioned well - doesn't get covered by the primary GPU like on some boards.
There's been two BIOS updates since I got it and both have brought improvements. The only BIOS I had a problem with though was the one that it shipped with (F3).
The only time the boot time is slow is when I change something in the overclocking/tweaking section of the BIOS. When that happens, the board goes into an extended boot-up when it does memory training and probably stuff that I don't understand. If the changes are valid and supportable then it boots fine and the changes are saved then all subsequent boots are not slow. If the changes fail the tests then the BIOS gets reset.
My 3800X performs and boosts as advertised without any messing about with voltage offsets or anything.

I think the only thing that is wrong is that the case fans seem to run at full speed when the PC is woken from sleep. A reboot sees the fans return to following the fan curve set in the BIOS. This is a bug that's registered with Gigabyte and I fully expect it to be resolved in a BIOS release soon.

Soldato
It's a good stable board with all of the features I need and more. I've come from an Intel platform and haven't find anything difficult to use. Just need a bit of Google-fu if you want to do any in-depth tweaking.
The VRMs are good especially for one of the less expensive boards.
The chipset fan is unnoticable to me and positioned well - doesn't get covered by the primary GPU like on some boards.
There's been two BIOS updates since I got it and both have brought improvements. The only BIOS I had a problem with though was the one that it shipped with (F3).
The only time the boot time is slow is when I change something in the overclocking/tweaking section of the BIOS. When that happens, the board goes into an extended boot-up when it does memory training and probably stuff that I don't understand. If the changes are valid and supportable then it boots fine and the changes are saved then all subsequent boots are not slow. If the changes fail the tests then the BIOS gets reset.
My 3800X performs and boosts as advertised without any messing about with voltage offsets or anything.

I think the only thing that is wrong is that the case fans seem to run at full speed when the PC is woken from sleep. A reboot sees the fans return to following the fan curve set in the BIOS. This is a bug that's registered with Gigabyte and I fully expect it to be resolved in a BIOS release soon.

Great!! Thanks for the detailed response. Hopefully it all gets ironed out soon for you.

Soldato
After importing your timings from the dram calculator you should use the manual profile then or stick with profile 1?

Very unhealthy beeping coming form the PC after using the dram calculator timings.

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
After importing your timings from the dram calculator you should use the manual profile then or stick with profile 1?

Stick with manual, otherwise if you choose Profile 1, it will just undo all the work you did to get timings specific to your memory and load up the default profile 1 timings (which are based on top quality IC's, not what your memory actually is)

Soldato
I just get a blue screen when windows boots using the dram cal timings. I suspect it's the mobo now which is the limiting factor.

But If Steve from hardware unboxed is right, I learnt that you leave all the volts on auto but just put the dram voltage. So back I go to CL16 3600MHz and try upping the dram voltage and see if I can get that to be stable.

Soldato
Load up Taiphoon

>Click Read (at top)
>Click Report (at top)
>Click Export (at top)
>Save the file

Open DRAM Calculator

Could you give me step by step instructions please? Kidding obviously :)

Great post thanks.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I just get a blue screen when windows boots using the dram cal timings. I suspect it's the mobo now which is the limiting factor.

But If Steve from hardware unboxed is right, I learnt that you leave all the volts on auto but just put the dram voltage. So back I go to CL16 3600MHz and try upping the dram voltage and see if I can get that to be stable.

Do you whack all the settings in one go?

I just focused on getting the main ones first, I left the sub timings alone until i'd got the main ones locked down and semi stable (400% HCI)

In fact I pretty much enabled the XMP on my sticks (3200Mhz cl16 b-die), upped the DRAM voltage to what the calc said (be careful with what you set in bios and what it actually sends to the RAM as mine overvolts by about 0.03) upped the frequency first to 3600Mhz (left timings on default XMP)

Tested that first, then went in and changed primary timings, tested, went back, only changed the values that the default XMP changes first, tested, etc etc.

Mine will pretty much only do "safe" preset timings at 3600Mhz, as the RAM is only 81% quality and it is only rated XMP at 3200Mhz, so running 3600Mhz safe is still an overclock for me.

Could you give me step by step instructions please? Kidding obviously :)

Great post thanks.

lol! I wasn't sure how familiar you were with the programs, so I took the step by step route just in case :p Plus if anyone else reads it who's new to memory overclocking on Ryzen they would have some sort of idea of where to start.

Back
Top Bottom