• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Update on boot issues with Asus CH6 and 3900X.

After further triaging I was getting random error codes (mostly 8 or is it B) during warm resets. My PC would rarely do a restart from Windows and any reboots required a hard shutdown and power off at the wall for around 15 seconds to be reasonably sure it would boot.

It turns out my issue was having CSM (Compatibility Support Module) disabled in BIOS. I have an M2 NVMe and had CSM disabled to speed up the boot times. This worked fin on my 2700X but the 3900X clearly doesn't like it.

So if anyone is having random error codes during soft (and sometimes cold) reboots with their CH6 and 3x00X please try CSM enabled in your BIOS.

I am now going to create a fresh windows install on s spare SSD before doing my DDR OC testing. I learned never to test any CPU or DDR OC on your actual Windows install as it will corrupt when your OC inevitably fails. :)

Soldato
You got the same RAM as me and I thought I had it stable until I played Metro Exodus. That'll make my system crash. Bit beguiling reading 3200 owners can find stability when ours should be natively stable. Fn Noying! Like yourself tried many options and processes. Jus' dun' wannit!

Luckily it does work at 3600MHz CL16 timings. Just trying to iron out a small niggle where it will freeze every 3-5hrs of gaming.

What mobo are you running? Next time round I will go for a slightly better mobo as I suspect this mobo might be contributing to my issues.

Man of Honour
Hello, does anyone near Gloucester or Cheltenham have a Ryzen 2xxx based CPU I could borrow to flash a board please? The first 'replacement' one I bought in order to flash the board is DOA.

Man of Honour
What mobo is it @ChrisD. ?

Strix B450-F. With the 3600 it all powers up but no display and an orange light on the motherboard. I've read online that the likelyhood is that it needs a BIOS update.

So I ordered a AMD Athlon X4 950 Processor from elsewhere with the intention to flash the board and then return it. With that CPU in, it doesn't even power up. Perhaps DOA but I'm skeptical. I've arranged a return and I've now ordered a AMD Athlon 200GE but I'm not convinced it'll work, sadly it doesn't turn up until later in the week.

The build is for my mrs work mate, he's only a young lad (18 I think) so I'm keen to get it all working for him. His current rig is very old and keeps crashing/not running games and I'd agreed to build it all for him if he bought all the parts. I made the mistake with the board recomendation needing an update so I've used my own money for the 'flashing' CPUs.

I'm not sure if it makes any difference at all but the GPU is a 1080 Ti.

Associate
I managed to get it down to 62.9ns and I am sure it would had gone a little more but I want to make sure I have the chip stable 100% of the time. I left it at 3733Mhz C16 with 64.3ns latency, today after a few extra tweaks passed 9hrs of Karhu RAM Test with 0 errors.

I thought about using a fixed all core OC, and voltage but that means losing single core performance so I left the CPU on Auto.

Soldato
Until your game stable (weeks of gaming with no issues. Maybe even months) you ain't stable.

I can pass HCI 400% (probably still be going if I had left it until now).

However... it'll freeze after 4-5hrs in games.

Stress tests mean nothing unless it works in real life workloads. This why hours and hours of stress tests are a waste of time.

---

I remember a time with my 3570k where I had it overclocked to 4.4GHz for 10 months no issues. A new windows version was released and suddenly I started crashing in games. ANYTHING can pull the carpet from under your overclocks feet.

Associate
I managed to get it down to 62.9ns and I am sure it would had gone a little more but I want to make sure I have the chip stable 100% of the time. I left it at 3733Mhz C16 with 64.3ns latency, today after a few extra tweaks passed 9hrs of Karhu RAM Test with 0 errors.

I thought about using a fixed all core OC, and voltage but that means losing single core performance so I left the CPU on Auto.

I managed 63.2ns (101.8 x 3733 C15) over the weekend but couldnt get it under 63, do you mind sharing timings or PM them so I can compare and try? This is becoming an obsession :D:rolleyes:

Associate
I managed 63.2ns (101.8 x 3733 C15) over the weekend but couldnt get it under 63, do you mind sharing timings or PM them so I can compare and try? This is becoming an obsession :D:rolleyes:
I was on 101 BLCK 3800Mhz 1900FCLK when I did it. I cant use decimals on mine for some reason so went to 3800Mhz and used 101. You are technically running 3800.194Mhz with 1:1 FCLK, mine was 3838Mhz and 1:1 FCLK.

Associate
Sounds like you guys are spending more time in the bios and ram timings then actually using the chip!:D
Not going to lie, I did the past few days lol But now I left it on some very stable settings. After 9hrs of Karhu RAM Test which is one of the best and over 35000% coverage with 0 errors, I am more than happy.

Associate
I was spending time then decided I just wanted to enjoy it and I also need it for work.

I did obsess over temps and changed my loop about 3 times. Now I just can't be bothered.

Back
Top Bottom