• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Soldato
CPU-Z isn't really stressing the cpu that much. Try running the Blender Beta Benchmark eller AIDA64 CPU/FPU/Cache stress test.;)

I know, it was just the fastest way of testing initial temps etc, been running Cinebench R15/R20 too, temps do go up with those for sure. Also still playing with case fan curves in BIOS, kinda want it to be quiet though :)

No need to lower the voltage, the CPU will decide what it needs. If you lower voltage you will get lower boost frequencies and lower performance.

See if you have an option called perfomrance enhancer in the BIOS, i know my Asus board does. Set that to level 3 (OC) enable PBO in the BIOS too. The Performance enhancer option esentially maxes out the options in Ryzen Master Tool via the BIOS to ensure maximum boost performance.

I see up to 4.675Ghz on two cores as a peak (though under very light loads) in HWINFO64 after doing the above. Using the stock Wraith Prism cooler running at a quiet constant speed via a fan controller.

Will play around with offset, i saw some Enhanced options in PBO, i think 1, 2, and 3 with Enabled and Disabled options and some others too. I tried @TNA 's settings of 4.4Ghz All Core but with a slightly higher 1.3v but that crashed in R20 lol. Managed an All Core 4350Mhz with 1.325v and that got me 7764 in R20, temps not too bad either. I'll keep playing around anyway and figure out which works best. These things will take me a while as i get used to the different settings to what i had on my 2700X :) Thanks bud.

You can actually lower the voltage and increase performance which is what I found. You should only do this using the Offset method though and this will vary between motherboards.

I did this on both a MSI Tomahawk and Asus X470 gaming and both gave me a good increases of +200 in CBr20 Multi and single core stayed around the same when I lowered the voltages using offset. On the Asus X470 after testing I found -0.1v gave me the best performance and also dropped temps by ~10c. Whereas on a Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 any drop in voltage resulted in slightly decreased performance. Though the Gigabyte performed much better at stock than the others. The best thing is to experiment by dropping the voltage incrementally and doing a Cinebench R15 run to see how it affects performance.

It's probably more important to tune your RAM. As you have good memory you should at least be able to do 3600 C14 and maybe higher and get the latency down. Remember to keep the IF at 1:1 ratio. Get DRam Calculator and start with that.

Also download the 1usmus v1.1 power plan and use that.

Will try this aswell, hopefully find out which works best soon enough, cheers for the info :)

Can anybody say if my Corsair H100x is good enough for cooling or do i need a slight upgrade?

Thanks for the help guys, its appreciated.

Edit.. Oh btw, which power plan in Windows do we use with this chip? :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I know, it was just the fastest way of testing initial temps etc, been running Cinebench R15/R20 too, temps do go up with those for sure. Also still playing with case fan curves in BIOS, kinda want it to be quiet though :)

Will play around with offset, i saw some Enhanced options in PBO, i think 1, 2, and 3 with Enabled and Disabled options and some others too. I tried @TNA 's settings of 4.4Ghz All Core but with a slightly higher 1.3v but that crashed in R20 lol. Managed an All Core 4350Mhz with 1.325v and that got me 7764 in R20, temps not too bad either. I'll keep playing around anyway and figure out which works best. These things will take me a while as i get used to the different settings to what i had on my 2700X :) Thanks bud.

Will try this aswell, hopefully find out which works best soon enough, cheers for the info :)

Can anybody say if my Corsair H100x is good enough for cooling or do i need a slight upgrade?

Thanks for the help guys, its appreciated.
Unlucky. I think what might be happening is as there are more CCX’s one of them is letting the rest down. Unless you are really unlucky you should be able to identify at least 2 CCX’s that get 4.4GHz.

I personally do not bother overclocking core by core, I overclock by CCX. But there maybe a benefit in doing core by core if you have silicon that is not very good.

Soldato
Edit.. Oh btw, which power plan in Windows do we use with this chip? :)

Thanks @Panos for this.
For 1usmus power plan read the article here
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/1usmus-custom-power-plan-for-ryzen-3000-zen-2-processors/

follow it religiously and here the last update.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/1usmus-power-plan-for-amd-ryzen-new-developments/

Install this AFTER you install latest bios from mobo manufacturer & chipset from AMD.

Soldato
Unlucky. I think what might be happening is as there are more CCX’s one of them is letting the rest down. Unless you are really unlucky you should be able to identify at least 2 CCX’s that get 4.4GHz.

I personally do not bother overclocking core by core, I overclock by CCX. But there maybe a benefit in doing core by core if you have silicon that is not very good.

Yep i see this, will try clocking these a bit higher at some point, didnt even know this was a thing until yesterday :p

iqyFUOE.png

Associate
Just finished my rebuild and powered up for the first time. Currently installing Windows onto a new NVME drive. Temps were showing 26c in BIOS with all cores at 3.8. Custom loop looking good so far.

Associate
Just doing a quick check with Cinebench r20.
CPU at stock settings, XMP enabled for memory.

Single thread I am seeing peak boost 4.596, CPU temp 55c. Score 528 pts.
Multi thread all core boost 4.1+, CPU temp 60c. Score 7249 pts.

Maxing out power limits on the multi thread test so probably more to come with relaxing limits/enabling PBO :)

Associate
So i just upgrade from my 1700 to this and WOW!!!

I changed motherboard too, went for the Gigabyte Aorus Master still using my same RAM(Gskill F4 3200 °C16D 32GVK 32GB which arent optimised fro Ryzen, Will upgrade to 64GB, i run a lot of VMs) from 1700 x370 Asus Hero and on that board i would struggle to hit 3000Mhz on mem now this hits 3200 out the box.

The improvements made by AMD are astounding and I love it even though i should do a fresh install to remove all the Asus drives everything is still working and PC feels so snappy. I will do a fresh install in due time.

I hope AMD continues down this road because if it wasn't from Ryzen we would still be paying £500 for 4/4 cpus and would still be hearing " no body needs more than 4 cores"

Loving my new 3900X

Soldato
So i just upgrade from my 1700 to this and WOW!!!

I changed motherboard too, went for the Gigabyte Aorus Master still using my same RAM(Gskill F4 3200 °C16D 32GVK 32GB which arent optimised fro Ryzen, Will upgrade to 64GB, i run a lot of VMs) from 1700 x370 Asus Hero and on that board i would struggle to hit 3000Mhz on mem now this hits 3200 out the box.

The improvements made by AMD are astounding and I love it even though i should do a fresh install to remove all the Asus drives everything is still working and PC feels so snappy. I will do a fresh install in due time.

I hope AMD continues down this road because if it wasn't from Ryzen we would still be paying £500 for 4/4 cpus and would still be hearing " no body needs more than 4 cores"

Loving my new 3900X

Did nearly the same. went from a 1700x to a 3900x

Single core perf much improved, obviously the multi is just insane

Associate
Curious, what sort of temps are people getting with their 3900X under load and what cooling is being used?

With a 360AIO i'm getting lows under 30c and idle seems to be around low to mid 40's, under load it's high 60's to low 70's. With a virtually silent fan profile.

Associate
Yeap bit the bullet at 500 odd squid for the 3900x coming from 1700x. Nice boost in performance. I also have some 3600Mhz Team group 8 Pack ram to put in yet. :)

Out the box I get some good results but I'm seeing stock core voltage set too 1.4?

Its completely stable for the past day but what's recommended here do we under volt and get a stable all OC on all cores? I'm Using some Kingston Hyper X DDR4 3000Mhz cas 17 just to test atm.

This is a quick 3D Mark time spy bench all stock
full water cooled loop - X470 asus Pro with EK monoblock - Having a small issue where PCH and VRM temps are no longer showing.

1.5v core voltage wow....the chip is still alive...

temp.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

This CPU almost feels underrated now ever since the 3950x was released

Associate
Yeap bit the bullet at 500 odd squid for the 3900x coming from 1700x. Nice boost in performance. I also have some 3600Mhz Team group 8 Pack ram to put in yet. :)

Out the box I get some good results but I'm seeing stock core voltage set too 1.4?

Its completely stable for the past day but what's recommended here do we under volt and get a stable all OC on all cores? I'm Using some Kingston Hyper X DDR4 3000Mhz cas 17 just to test atm.

This is a quick 3D Mark time spy bench all stock
full water cooled loop - X470 asus Pro with EK monoblock - Having a small issue where PCH and VRM temps are no longer showing.

1.5v core voltage wow....the chip is still alive...
Cheers

AMD have said that 1.5v is normal for the 3K series. I've not bothered OC'ing mine as the performance is more than sufficient at stock, the only settings I've tweaked are for memory.

Soldato
Curious, what sort of temps are people getting with their 3900X under load and what cooling is being used?

With a 360AIO i'm getting lows under 30c and idle seems to be around low to mid 40's, under load it's high 60's to low 70's. With a virtually silent fan profile.

Custom water loop with two 360 rads, 4.4 all-core OC, around 68C under load. Idle is usually 40C give or take a bit.

Associate
AMD have said that 1.5v is normal for the 3K series. I've not bothered OC'ing mine as the performance is more than sufficient at stock, the only settings I've tweaked are for memory.

This is all stock no OC just BIOS update and chip installed the core voltage was set at 1.46v.

Is that still OK?

Soldato
This is all stock no OC just BIOS update and chip installed the core voltage was set at 1.46v.

Is that still OK?
This is perfectly normal for the 3900X. You can use a negative offset which will bring down the temps though it may increase/decrease performance. This varies between boards/bioses but on an Asus X470-f gaming my sweet spot was -0.1v offset for performance and also ~10c drop in temps. Whereas exactly the same CPU on a Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 wifi any decrease in voltage dropped performance though at stock it still outperformed the Asus board with the -offset tweak.

Soldato
Now I can dig THAT.. suckerrrrrr!

Fixed :D

So i was testing the Eco Modes in PBO and switching to 65w gave me higher boost clocks to 4650Mhz on a core or two, only saw 4550Mhz with PBO enabled or disabled.

Seems like Eco Modes boost single core speeds while multicore speeds drop a little.

Is this telling me something about my cooling? I dont really want to have to buy a better cooler, i thought the Corsair H100X would be decent, i even have the 2 Corsair ML120 fans ramp up to 100% at around 70c-75c.

Using -.0125 offset atm, will try -.0250 to see if max volts drop, still seeing highs of 1.488v/1.500v.

Also not sure what to believe, Ryzen Master or HWInfo64. Ryzen Master shows way more consistent and lower temps/clock speeds than HWInfo64 does :confused:

Ryzen Master sometimes wants me to reinstall it on firing it up too :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom