RC cars

Associate
I got one from Tandy (remember them) when I was a kid, I’m sure it was no more than about £30-£40, albeit, in todays money it would have been more, but it went like a rocket, and across any terrain you put in front of it.

Thats before we even get to those Monster Beetles and similar the posh kids had, jesus, they went like the clappers.

Soldato
I got one from Tandy (remember them) when I was a kid, I’m sure it was no more than about £30-£40, albeit, in todays money it would have been more, but it went like a rocket, and across any terrain you put in front of it.

Thats before we even get to those Monster Beetles and similar the posh kids had, jesus, they went like the clappers.

Think mine was a white tiger from Tandy actually... my brother had an absolute beast of a car though!

Soldato
This thread reminds me, while driving to the in-laws yesterday... we saw a fairly big RC car with a shattered front on a side road. Looked like it had a pretty bad crash, maybe even with a real car. Then we saw a middle aged dad-type walk up, look at it and scratch his head before running back inside! Some poor kid's Christmas ruined probably :(

Soldato
My Son got a cheapie Amazon Chinese special for Xmas and it’s lethal indoors. It’s only small but goes like the clappers. Around the kitchen it just wheelspins and drifts. It does get really hot though so I imagine it will implode at some point shortly...

Soldato
Mine only had forwards and steering. If you got stuck in a corner there was no reverse!

Most of my early ones only had forward or reverse but had a caster underneath them so that they turned (in one direction only) when going backwards. Was ages before I was able to get one with proper independent steering. They also used about 300 AA batteries. Even the cheap rubbish that you can get these days are miles better than most of what I had access to as a kid

Soldato
I had one of those Trax RC things as a kid, great fun. Really fast, rock solid construction, could go over pretty much anything (with enough speed :D ) and it hurt when it hit you as well.

Think it had a fairly beefy battery though whereas a cheapie one I bought recently just uses a little rechargeable power bank which is equivalent to a couple of AA's.

Caporegime
Remote control cars are probably the worst toys you can buy as you spend the rest of the year being asked to buy batteries, the battery manufacturers probably subsidise the toy manufacturers to make them as inefficient as possible. :p

Caporegime
I have a Tamiya RC car which was given to me in the 80s (I think it was a self-build kit) when I was a young kid. Still works :p
Haha I still have my original 80's tamiya lunch box

6723d29932a297651fcc77ef7f6477f8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom