**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Man of Honour
OP
The Exynos S20 is a bit of a joke compared to the SD version. The fact that Samsung must have known this yet still decided to charge the same money for both versions is disgraceful. Either release SD in the EU market as well as Exynos and let people decide, or sack off Exynos altogether. We already knew Exynos wasn't doing great from last year's S10, and the trend has continued to the S20 unsurprisingly.

I'm glad I saved £150+ buying the SD S10e back last year. I will certainly do the same this year or next when the next upgrade is due.

Soldato
The Exynos results were absolutely terrible given that Samsung don't acknowledge the inferior nature of the product by reducing the price.

Soldato
Haven't Samsung killed their SoC division and stated this is their last phone to have an exynos chip?
One final rinsing of the the consumer with the S20 basically!

Soldato
Haven't Samsung killed their SoC division and stated this is their last phone to have an exynos chip?
One final rinsing of the the consumer with the S20 basically!

Nope, they've killed off their custom CPU design team - essentially, they will not be producing custom Mongoose cores anymore using ARM IP, but rather, they'll be producing Exynos chips based on ARM reference designs i.e. semi-custom. The is essentially what Qualcomm do, their Snapdragon SoCs are based on ARM core designs.

It could actually mean performance and efficiency alignment between Exynos and Snapdragon chips if using the same base ARM designs.

Soldato
We all grasp that Samsung isn't a charity right? They use Exynos because they make it, they can better integrate it and it's likely more profitable to them.

Don't like it, don't buy Samsung? This holier than thou "we're being ripped off" or "they're taking us for fools" type approach makes no sense at all.

You don't crow at Ford for not using Nissan engines or whatever the equivalent would be, the only reason QC versions exist is due to the band/modems etc required for specific markets, if that didn't exist as an issue there'd be nothing to test it against because there wouldn't be a QC version.

Somehow expecting Samsung to altruistically use a different (essentially competing) chipset for a very modest performance gain (remember Samsung already have a gigantic market share of products using these chips, those who don't like it are clearly in the minority) is incoherent to the point of being mental.

Soldato
It's also a very emotional response to be calling people incoherent and beyond the point of mental when they are looking at what is pretty solid evidence.

Also once again, issue isn't just performance as there can be significant differences in battery life as per that video and plenty of user reports, including this very thread.

Hope you'll never have the fortune of having a phone that barely gets two thirds of the battery life compared to the SP version, have hours of your time wasted by support that takes you for a tea mug and then have condecending staff at a support store basically do nothing and further take you for a tea mug. All when you're showing them screenshots of the huge battery difference you're getting in black and white.

This is a premium flagship, top of the line product that is more expensive every year. It would be very reasonable for people to not be happy that they are getting less than other markets and that goes for any product.

Then again majority of people wouldn't know any better and don't need much more than a midrange SoC anyway so wouldn't notice any issues in performance which is what Samsung are banking on.

Soldato
It's also a very emotional response to be calling people incoherent and beyond the point of mental when they are looking at what is pretty solid evidence.

Also once again, issue isn't just performance as there can be significant differences in battery life as per that video and plenty of user reports, including this very thread.

Hope you'll never have the fortune of having a phone that barely gets two thirds of the battery life compared to the SP version, have hours of your time wasted by support that takes you for a tea mug and then have condecending staff at a support store basically do nothing and further take you for a tea mug. All when you're showing them screenshots of the huge battery difference you're getting in black and white.

This is a premium flagship, top of the line product that is more expensive every year. It would be very reasonable for people to not be happy that they are getting less than other markets and that goes for any product.

Then again majority of people wouldn't know any better and don't need much more than a midrange SoC anyway so wouldn't notice any issues in performance which is what Samsung are banking on.

Yes because it's a tedious and I'll say again, incoherent thing to moan about when it's inevitable Samsung will use their own parts. You only have to understand why there's even a requirement for the QC model people can test against.

I'm not saying it's not a problem, i get you've got issues, what I'm saying is twofold.. firstly, the millions upon millions of people who are buying these things are not experiencing the issues you're having for the most part or it would be bend/antenna/batterygate all over again.

Secondly it's a waste of time and energy to even hope Samsung wouldn't use their own product in 100% of cases if they could, regardless of a performance delta to the QC part.

I keep coming back to the analogy on car engines. Vertically integrated companies use their own parts. Period. They try and make them better/competitive, they do't tend o use 3rd party ones just for a performance increase in certain scenarios.

I won't. Thanks for the advice.

Simple isn't it!

Soldato
I'm neutral in the argument (Pixel 4 here), but I guess it comes down to actually being impacted by the issue vs knowing there's an issue.

If it wasn't pointed out to you, you probably would be non the wiser as there's nothing to compare against.

Whilst I understand why Samsung would want to use their own parts, I don't think that should be mutually exclusive to providing a consistent experience between the SD version especially when you're paying the same money (at least at recommended retail). Therefore I don't think it's a waste of time for someone to expect a consistent user experience between what is supposed to be the exact same device that they paid similar levels of money for.

Soldato
Yes because it's a tedious and I'll say again, incoherent thing to moan about when it's inevitable Samsung will use their own parts. You only have to understand why there's even a requirement for the QC model people can test against.

I'm not saying it's not a problem, i get you've got issues, what I'm saying is twofold.. firstly, the millions upon millions of people who are buying these things are not experiencing the issues you're having for the most part or it would be bend/antenna/batterygate all over again.

Secondly it's a waste of time and energy to even hope Samsung wouldn't use their own product in 100% of cases if they could, regardless of a performance delta to the QC part.

I keep coming back to the analogy on car engines. Vertically integrated companies use their own parts. Period. They try and make them better/competitive, they do't tend o use 3rd party ones just for a performance increase in certain scenarios.

Car engines have to abide by quite a few specific requirements and regulations, be it emissions, economy or performance. This is where Samsung can get away with it, there isn't a set of metrics these SoCs have to abide to at all, just whatever marketing department spits out for the given year really. As long as they don't lie about number of cores and Mhz it's all god really as far as average Joe is concerned (and regulators I imagine).

Point isn't that anyone is hoping for anything like them not using their own parts, point is that product which costs the same exists in different markets that performs at different levels. In good cases difference is small, in bad cases you're getting quite a substantially worse product with no hope of resolution.

Also a case of a lot of people making the decision based on reviews, with quite a few publications based over US and using the different version of the SoC. So without even realising it, they may base a decision on product that may not be quite the same and not provide the given performance and battery endurance.

I'm not sure, what's so incoherent and beyond the point of being mental in that, particularly when it comes to what is top of the line flagship product at a very high premium?

Soldato
While i have no doubt the SD version is better, am really enjoying my S20+ performance and battery has been really good so far. currently sitting on 35% with 3 hours 20 mins battery at 1080p 120hz

Soldato
My buds were out for delivery also but work stopped taking personal parcels due to coronavirus and the driver was on stop 40 something and I was 110 or so, at about 5pm... so didn't expect them to try delivering anyway.

In the end it was marked as "could not locate property" and work won't be accepting parcels any time soon anyway.

I couldn't redirect to my postcode just 6 miles away which is a bit rubbish, so luckily redirected to someone who lives near work and will grab them from him at some point.

Probably going to sell them to be honest like I did with the S10 ones ha

Soldato
My buds were out for delivery also but work stopped taking personal parcels due to coronavirus and the driver was on stop 40 something and I was 110 or so, at about 5pm... so didn't expect them to try delivering anyway.

In the end it was marked as "could not locate property" and work won't be accepting parcels any time soon anyway.

I couldn't redirect to my postcode just 6 miles away which is a bit rubbish, so luckily redirected to someone who lives near work and will grab them from him at some point.

Probably going to sell them to be honest like I did with the S10 ones ha

Did you get an email when they were out for delivery? my claim is just saying processed with last date when I made the claim.

Soldato
Did you get an email when they were out for delivery? my claim is just saying processed with last date when I made the claim.
Got an email at 10:30. Says the order/parcel is from "Opia" - confused me at first but after a quick google then it made sense lol

If it might help.. I got my S20 on 10th and submitted the buds claim probably before lunch time I'd say.

EDIT: Got a text too :)

Back
Top Bottom