**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Man of Honour
Think given the announcement is a mere 9 weeks away a thread is warranted, plus with today's juicy camera news along with other news about the S11 in recent days...

The Samsung cat of leaks today posted that the camera sensor on the S11 will be a Samsung exclusive, this ties in with the rumour the other week that the 108MP camera will be a new gen 2 unlike the 108MP ISOCELL Bright HMX used in the Xiaomi Mi Note 10.

The Galaxy S11+ uses a 1 / 1.3-inch 108MP Samsung exclusive custom sensor, which is superior in quality to ISOCELL Bright HMX and has a high cost.
Via Twitter

We also know some other details about the S11+, it will have
- 120Hz display
- 5000mAh battery
- 45W fast charging (adapter likely sold separate as 25W adapter bundled in the box which is also the standard fast charge rate of the S11 and S11e)
- Expecting 10W reverse wireless charging and up to 25W fast wireless charging too (no confirmations on this but... touch wood)
- 8K 30fps / 4K 120fps
- Snapdragon 865 in combo with this new sensor (Exynos unknown since Samsung recently cut their losses with their custom chip division doing poorly)
- 5x optical periscope zoom lens

Comments on Reddit clarified some tech details about it:

For those wondering, this sensor will have a surface area that's ~3x larger than the sensors used in the iPhone 11, Pixel 4, and Note10. It's more than 1.5x larger than the Huawei Mate 30 Pro's sensor (which currently takes the best low light pictures).

Ice Universe also tweeted that the S11+ stands on its own turf and unlike previous S10/Note 10 etc, there are some very key differences.

S11+ is not the same as S11. If S10 is similar to S10+, or Note10 is similar to Note10+, then I can say that S11+ is not similar to S11, and there are some obvious differences.

This is clearly pointing to the S11e and S11 using Samsung's new 64MP sensor whilst the S11+ uses the exclusive 108MP one. This is a shame as not everyone wants a massive phone, but if it lives up to these leaks, then maybe big arse phone is going to be in my pockets next year once again....

Not really worth posting any leaked images based on cad drawings just yet as Ice has stated the layout is wrong from all other leaks and that it looks very "beautiful" in fact. There is a case manufacturer image of their cases however which shows just how large the camera module is:

Xxz94JG.jpg

By all accounts, the S11+ will be monstrously expensive and I wouldn't be surprised if it reached Galaxy Fold levels of pricing. The S11 and 11e should be far cheaper however with /just/ the 64MP sensor inside and an Exynos.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
The screens are all new tech and every year Samsung screens win the best screen award on the usual tech sites etc so nothing changes here really.

The battery is indeed 5000mAh for the +, 4500 for the S11 and 3900 for the S11e which is rather nice all round if you ask me!¬

Man of Honour
OP
Are people really still missing the notification led?

Nope. And TBH in 2019 I personally consider it completely unnecessary. What I do have is whenever the phone is on my desks it's sitting on the charging pad, so have Bixby Routines set to turn on AOD when it's charging. That way I can see notifications if I want. At no other time is there a need to see a notification of any sort as it's either in my pocket or I'm using it so will see the status bar anyway.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah that's a damn shame. It's because of licensing I guess but all the more reason to once again import a HK/USA unit that's not only cheaper.... But with the better SoC. Considering they are going to sell the South Korean version in SK with SD865, that points to even Samsung knowing that Qualcomm have outdone them once again.

A good comparison between both SoCs by sammobile here: https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-exynos-990-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-865/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Just noticed that the camera recorder supports 4k 120fps on both chipsets. Considering we don't even have 60fps 4k on the S10 or Note 10 series, that's quite substantial. I can't see anyone using 8K 30fps when you'll have all the bells and whistles at 4k 60 inc HDR, zoom, video effects etc etc. No doubt 8k 30fps will have limited features available just like how 4k 30fps has now. Will be nice if 8k 30 has all the features though. Just can't imagine how much storage space a few minutes of footage would take up!

Actually maybe hold off the imports for a bit...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...65-is-a-step-backwards-for-smartphone-design/

The gist of it is Qualcomm's practices and the West's stronghold on wanting to 5G everything. This means because both 4G and 5G radios are powered by a dedicated chip as opposed to the more efficient onboard modems on current chips, more power is consumed during data consumption.

How this translates to the new chips remains to be seen but you can bet the bigger batteries and more efficient CPUs/GPUs will offset against the higher radio drain on the Snapdragon chipset.

Essentially in the real world we could see both Exynos 990 and SD865 perform very similarly for battery life this time round.

I will be holding off any purchase (assuming I do upgrade( until some conclusive results are in comparing both.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Same here, the battery life has remained unchanged on my S10e and it still powers through everything. My view is I'll only upgrade to an S11 if the camera improvements are significant. Nobody has any idea yet since the main camera gubbins are all new this time round and exclusive to Samsung so I'll be looking forward to Feb 20th for the announcement.

Man of Honour
OP
Oops I seem to have forgotten about it hah. What I should have said was if using 4k60, then you are limited to what features are available. You can't even select the ultra wide lens either at that framerate.

Man of Honour
OP
The 30x/100x zoom clarity isn't enough (as in it's not clear...) to wow me TBH but the bright night sensor I want to see samples of for sure. So far the S20 appeals the most but not enough to upgrade from the S10e SD855 unless a standout feature suddenly appears. AT the announcement they said the S10 range will receive new features with software updates soon so I bet pro video will see a return too along with some other stuff as we used to have Pro Video back in the day.

Single Take shot is a unique feature though that I'd likely use a lot.

I have a feeling the S10e will live out a full lifecycle until major OS updates stop on it although with Project Mainline, Google may well handle that now considering the integration of Google now on Galaxy phones.

Man of Honour
OP
So Samsung's trade-in website does accept my HK S10e, the IMEI is accepted and I can proceed through to payment. I will wait a week or two though as I want to see full camera samples first otherwise I am happy. With the trade-in discount the S20 comes to £552 which is reasonably good for a flagship and I guess next year I'll get half that trade-in for the S21 assuming the width dimensions remain the same...

Man of Honour
OP
How much do they give for S10e?

£250

Not sure wether to buy one on finance or wait till my Contract is renewed in September. Currently using S9.

Think Samsung store offers the best options for payment. They have an option to pay in 3 instalments, no interest, no credit agreements or anything. It just is goes out of your debit card and that's it over the 3 months so no need to finance one really.

Man of Honour
OP
https://www.sammobile.com/news/gala...superior-than-s20-ultra-at-960-fps-recording/

Turns out the Ultra has a lesser quality super slow motion mode and the lower 2 models record 960fps natively . Interesting.

@mrk - what are you going to do? And where do you import your SD Samsungs from please? Thanks.

Undecided still, the camera samples I am seeing lately dont point to a huge improvement over the S10e I currently have with Gcam. I have posted photos in the S10 thread and I am immensely pleased with what it is capable of. I would latrgely be benefitting from the video recording improvements, namely pro video mode but I am betting this is a software update that will find its way to the S10 soon anyway as Samsung hinted at new features for the S10 and even if that means 2 months time I am happy to wait and save a few £hundred as there is nothing my SD S10e can't do at the moment bar exposure controls in video mode.

I imported from eGlobal Central btw. S10e was £489 iirc back in March last year and I also got some cashback so saved a little more in the process.

Thinking about it all smart and stuff, it probably does not make sense for me to change from the S10e to the S20 anytime soon at leats anyway as I wouldn't gain anything significant and if video pro mode comes via an update to the S10, then bonus.

Man of Honour
OP
Nobody seems to have mentioned the haptic feedback on the S20 range. MrWhoseTheBoxx said to him it felt even better than an iPhone and other youtubers have said it's way improved too. So this makes the S20 the first Android in all history to have actual haptic feedback. Others online have remarked about how you can feel the toggle switches onscreen when you move sliders and things that actually feel like switches and the camera shutter button feels like a mirror slapping on a DSLR.

This is a huge moment I guess for Android in this area.

Back
Top Bottom