• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
My ram is the 3200MHz 8 Pack sticks which I run at 3600MHz with the CL16 timings.
That is not an OC though as they sell them as 3600 CL16 also from the same bin. Unless you are further tightening the timings?

I have the same RAM as you and run mine at 3733 CL16. Already forgot the rest of the timings but it is essentially the SAFE settings for 3733 on DRAM Calculator. I have mine running at 1.39v and not had any memory issues.

Soldato
That is not an OC though as they sell them as 3600 CL16 also from the same bin. Unless you are further tightening the timings?

I have the same RAM as you and run mine at 3733 CL16. Already forgot the rest of the timings but it is essentially the SAFE settings for 3733 on DRAM Calculator. I have mine running at 1.39v and not had any memory issues.

It's good enough for me. That's all I want to achieve CL16 at 3600MHz. My FCLK will not do more than 1800MHz so 3600MHz is all I can do.

I've tried all timings form the dram calc between 1800 and 1900 and they don't work. All crash.

And to be honest the settings for safe 3600MHz I reckon are wrong too. They just do not work.

That application has never worked for me.

At the moment things are OK. I left all voltages on auto and set the dram voltage to 1.4v and it passed 4hrs of memtestx86 and I have played another 5hrs on it and it seems fine so far.

Soldato
I'm trying the dram calc again.

Division 2 still freezes and ctd.

Funny thing is my settings before I passed 4hrs of memtestx86.

In my experience stability tests are a waste of time. Play games. If it don't crash its stable. If it does it ain't.

You can pass 1001 hours of 1001 stability tests and then still crash in game so what's the point.

Saying so I'm running the memtest thing from the dram calc currently.

---

I punched in all the settings bar the LLC stuff.... in the dram calc it says things like level 2/3 but in my Gigabyte board it's normal, high, ultra etc... so I left it alone.

Also the dram calc recommended a value of 0 for the CAD_BUS _* timings. But there was no 0 on my board. So I left it on auto again.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm trying the dram calc again.

Division 2 still freezes and ctd.

Funny thing is my settings before I passed 4hrs of memtestx86.

In my experience stability tests are a waste of time. Play games. If it don't crash its stable. If it does it ain't.

Yes and no.

yes go play games and do the things you normally do, if its stable its good enough for your. however, you need to also measure performance to make sure performance has not regressed because it can happen with unstable clocks.
I know for fact both gpu and cpu performance degrades with unstable overclocks, same may be true for ram.

Associate
I have never seen Dram calc suggest 0 for the Cad Bus timings.
Something is adrift with your setup.

Can you not post screenies of your Dram calc suggested settings and your Ryzen master settings?

Also spend some time reading this setup guide to using Dram calc by the author.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/
Bit long winded to start with but you may well learn something useful rather than randomly clicking settings and hoping which a lot seem to do.

And @TNA MOAH VOLTS!

This is one of my Dram calc results below with 8 pack ram. You should really be getting something like it if yours is set up correctly.

Forgive the OneDrive link.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArMHGD-yylU7gdp2k-S0QDWsijLAVw?e=5ZV7vD

I only ever use the FAST settings.
i can run 3600 CL14 16Gb no issues. Without gear down.
Although currently running 3600 CL16 with 32GB. Without gear down.

Last edited:
Soldato

Here is the cad bus timings it recommended which I left on auto due to the 0 value.

3.jpg

I posted the main timings in my dedicated thread.

I understand what your saying about the fast timings but at the moment I cant even get the safe timings to work. :(

Associate
Ok back outa there.
Ignore that advanced page.
Go to the main tab and use all the info on that page they are the settings you should be using.

Soldato
Here is the cad bus timings it recommended which I left on auto due to the 0 value.

I posted the main timings in my dedicated thread.

I understand what your saying about the fast timings but at the moment I cant even get the safe timings to work. :(

Mate,

I've got the 3600Mhz stuff and I cant get that stable either. Spent 7 months with the stuff and tried all sorts. Sometimes even when switching the machine on it still fails and resets default BIOS settings. If I run it at default 2400Mhz it's fine, can game for hours on it. When I spoke to you in another thread I thought mine was stable - but I then realized that it had been running at 2400Mhz all that time. Because sometimes on starting the machine it will reboot at POST and load BIOS defaults.

If I enable XMP or put in it's rated settings manually I get issues.

It will pass memetsts and other memory tests for hours. True test of gaming and I don't rate this RAM at all. May have been tested with many boards in OCUK etc and pass some memory testing - but when it comes to gaming. Nah. I've underclocked my gfx card, ran the CPU at stock etc etc. Only when I change the RAM to it's supposed rated settings do I get problems. And I bought the more expensive 3600 CL16 stuff and I shouldn't have to spend hours messing about in RAM settings. It should just be stable selecting XMP - that's why I bought it and didn't want to fanny around with getting 3200mhz to run at 3600Mhz. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and try another set of 3600Mhz RAM and see what that's like.

Frustrating though innit. Like everything though, there is always a set of failure rates and maybe my set just isn't quite up to scratch for stable at it's rated 3600Mhz.

I'm gonna buy some new stuff right now.

Anything you've considered if you thought about swapping your RAM out?

Soldato
Mate,

I've got the 3600Mhz stuff and I cant get that stable either. Spent 7 months with the stuff and tried all sorts. Sometimes even when switching the machine on it still fails and resets default BIOS settings. If I run it at default 2400Mhz it's fine, can game for hours on it. When I spoke to you in another thread I thought mine was stable - but I then realized that it had been running at 2400Mhz all that time. Because sometimes on starting the machine it will reboot at POST and load BIOS defaults.

If I enable XMP or put in it's rated settings manually I get issues.

It will pass memetsts and other memory tests for hours. True test of gaming and I don't rate this RAM at all. May have been tested with many boards in OCUK etc and pass some memory testing - but when it comes to gaming. Nah. I've underclocked my gfx card, ran the CPU at stock etc etc. Only when I change the RAM to it's supposed rated settings do I get problems. And I bought the more expensive 3600 CL16 stuff and I shouldn't have to spend hours messing about in RAM settings. It should just be stable selecting XMP - that's why I bought it and didn't want to fanny around with getting 3200mhz to run at 3600Mhz. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and try another set of 3600Mhz RAM and see what that's like.

Frustrating though innit. Like everything though, there is always a set of failure rates and maybe my set just isn't quite up to scratch for stable at it's rated 3600Mhz.

I'm gonna buy some new stuff right now.

Anything you've considered if you thought about swapping your RAM out?

Interesting to hear I am not alone on this.

The internet seems to make it sound so easy just use the dram calc and life will be a breeze.

Nope!

I had a look yesterday and this ram is not on the QVL list for my motherboard.

I have thought about new ram but I am not at that stage of desperation yet.

What I will be doing tho if i did go down that route is make sure it was on the QVL list for my mobo before purchasing anything new.

Soldato
Something is adrift with your setup.

Can you not post screenies of your Dram calc suggested settings and your Ryzen master settings?

Also spend some time reading this setup guide to using Dram calc by the author.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/
Bit long winded to start with but you may well learn something useful rather than randomly clicking settings and hoping which a lot seem to do.

And @TNA MOAH VOLTS!

This is one of my Dram calc results below with 8 pack ram. You should really be getting something like it if yours is set up correctly.

Forgive the OneDrive link.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArMHGD-yylU7gdp2k-S0QDWsijLAVw?e=5ZV7vD

I only ever use the FAST settings.
i can run 3600 CL14 16Gb no issues. Without gear down.
Although currently running 3600 CL16 with 32GB. Without gear down.

As a laugh I tried the fast timings and the inbuilt memtest program in the dram calc found an error pretty fast.

(The irony :p)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Interesting to hear I am not alone on this.

The internet seems to make it sound so easy just use the dram calc and life will be a breeze.

Nope!

I had a look yesterday and this ram is not on the QVL list for my motherboard.

I have thought about new ram but I am not at that stage of desperation yet.

What I will be doing tho if i did go down that route is make sure it was on the QVL list for my mobo before purchasing anything new.

DramCalc can't account for silicon lottery, treat it as a guide not a template, if the settings aren't stable systematically dial back the timings until you find the one that makes it unstable.

Its rarely a case of just punch in the numbers and be done with it, there is a lot more work involved, but the end result is always much better than XMP. :)

Associate
These are pretty much the same symptoms that I had early on - every thing fine for hours, sometimes days but sudden crashes during variable workloads e.g. games.

What fixed it for me was a slight increase in SOC voltage and change LLC to Turbo.

Associate
Tweaker --> CPU/VRM Settings --> VCore SOC LoadLine Calibration.

I made both changes at the same time though so I don't know if the SOC voltage increase would have fixed it on it's own.

Soldato
@opethdisciple - I tried Buffalo's suggestion above and changed both LLC's in my BIOS. Just stuck them in the middle (3) as it goes 1-5, didn't change SoC as I'm not OC'ing my RAM but 2 nights had crash free gaming! Early days I know, but fingers crossed. Different board from yours but could be worth a look.

Guess it points to the IF being unstable more than the RAM?

Back
Top Bottom