When did you realise that most people are morons?

Caporegime
As well as hoping someone invents another cause of a pandemic which will wipe out these people you despise, and advocating actual yet selective genocide, are there any other angles you are investigating? I mean useful, not OH DISASTER OH CALAMITY, ones for clarity.
We're just one species on this planet, and there's unquestionably too many of us, given our current level of technological and societal evolution.

Soon it's going to be us or them, with "them" being every other species and the planet itself.

A massive human depopulation event might be anthropologically tragic, but maybe not so tragic when viewed from a less human-centric perspective.

e: PS if that viewpoint makes me a bona-fide psychopath, so be it :p

Associate
I think the moment the op describes comes to all people but for very different reasons and at different levels.

For me it was 8 years ago. I still dont know how to define your average person but my faith in peoples intellegence hit rock bottom. Running a fulfilment centre with delivery drivers and warehouse workers / temps etc will do that to you I guess.

I didn't know people could be so stupid and have such poor decision making skills. So much drama caused because of their inability to manage their own lives. Such messy chaotic lives that they drag everyone else into. Many of them were nice enough people but you would never want to be friends with them.

I was raised to be fairly independant and manage my own issues and I guess I have that expectation for others. Standards play a large part in the whole debate, everyone has them but they aren't all the same.

Associate
Does modern Western society not actively embrace and encourage this mindset? I think it does.
Yes an no. It embraces independence, that doesn't have to have a negative effect on someone else but often times it does. Weak people will always put themselves first rather than working harder to progress without hindering others.

Caporegime
OP
My theory is the biggest morons are usually the people who think everyone else is a moron.. People need to accept everyone makes mistakes, errors in judgments, have accidents or do things contrary to how you would do them for reasons that could be stupidity or knowing more or less about the situation than the person judging them as a moron..

Sounds like you have had a very specific humbling experience of a situation you describe :p

I'm gonna stand by the fact that someone that can't count to 12 is a moron, for whatever reason. That includes babies. Bloody little morons.

Associate
I used to think like this, but realised one of the reasons was is that it's a viewpoint popular on 'We Know Best' liberal areas of the internet such as Reddit & probably just rubbed off on me.

The daily mail is a good example - widely regarded by the online intelligentsia as only read by morons.

But then I go to a random article which is top of the page this morning: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...reds-UK-locations-managed-avoid-fatality.html

& here is the top rated comment:

Grammar aside, doesn't sound that moronic?

It's being upvoted by all the people living in the countryside because they think it compliments them - i.e. "more socially responsible" "more thoughtful" "more community spirited" "everyone is very conscious of the possible dangers the virus poses". They read it, think "Yes I'm great" and upvote it.

Population density means people in the city will have a harder time with this - there's no reason to ascribe it to them being less thoughtful, responsible or informed.

I don't know who the "online intelligentsia" is meant to be but they're right - the Daily Mail is only read by morons.

Caporegime
Id suspected it from a young age but I think the first thing to cement it was seeing some kids destroy the bus shelter they used every day whilst waiting for the school bus. In winter. In the north of England. Morons.
Then when I worked in a call centre dealing with the general public for 8 hours a day. The level of stupidity on display was amazing. This taught me it really is national..
Then I watched fox news during the second invasion of Iraq. That taught me it was international.

Caporegime
I hope there aren't as many morons out there as it seems.
I think you just hear about morons more. Fewer people want to share the sensible, evidenced video. But the crazy dude against 5g?sign me up!

Facebook market places have some great morons. Some of the bandwagoning on there is hilarious. You know there are sensible people around, but don't dare comment as all you'll get is hassle.

8bLt0Xsm.jpg

Caporegime
I hope there aren't as many morons out there as it seems.
I think you just hear about morons more. Fewer people want to share the sensible, evidenced video. But the crazy dude against 5g?sign me up!

Facebook market places have some great morons. Some of the bandwagoning on there is hilarious. You know there are sensible people around, but don't dare comment as all you'll get is hassle.

8bLt0Xsm.jpg
I "accidentally" read a few YouTube comments on a video I just watched.

You can literally feel the braincells dying.

I think we can all agree that YouTube comments are cancer.

Soldato
Post-Trump when it became clear that corporate media were political actors with no interest in reporting truth and facts and the majority of people just swallowed whatever they were pushing anyway, since that time the disinformation has only accelerated (Russia collusion, double standards, not reporting big stories due to bias etc) and the same people who trusted them before have simply ignored their repeat failures and doubled down in trusting them.

“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”

You’re right Trump supporters have been fooled and no matter how often Trump and his cronies are shown to be deceitful and corrupt you lot just stick your fingers in your ears.

Man of Honour
I hate these threads.

it disappoints me that people have such a high opinion of themselves that they feel it’s acceptable to categorise the rest of the world as morons. I find it quite nauseating.

Just because someone has a low opinion of others doesn't necessarily mean they have a high opinion of themselves. Though especially those that feel that person's opinion is aimed at them wrongly or rightly often seem to jump to that conclusion probably because it is an easy way to dismiss any inconvenient truth in what the person is saying.

Personally I think we are all pretty dumb the difference is some actually try and improve themselves, learn from their experiences and expand their perspective while others are content to close their minds to the bigger picture and live one step above animal - at least the animals have some excuse.

Then when I worked in a call centre dealing with the general public for 8 hours a day. The level of stupidity on display was amazing. This taught me it really is national..

Hah yeah - I worked in the call centre at Screwfix for a few months ouch - that and generally working in retail albeit rarely directly customer facing is eye opening to say the least.

Soldato
I think there as always been dumb people around.

Back in the day those people wouldnt attempt to get involved in intellectual conversations. If you mentioned politics as a subject it was an instant borefest for them. To the point that I was made to feel like the weirdo for knowing general events of the day.

These days dumb people have been encouraged to engage in political conversations to make them seem more intelligent. But once the opinion they are saying is challenged they can't counter it because they copied the opinion off someone else. They never thought of it themselves. So they usually just become personally abusive.

Man of Honour

Back in the day those people wouldnt attempt to get involved in intellectual conversations. If you mentioned politics as a subject it was an instant borefest for them. To the point that I was made to feel like the weirdo for knowing general events of the day.

These days dumb people have been encouraged to engage in political conversations to make them seem more intelligent. But once the opinion they are saying is challenged they can't counter it because they copied the opinion off someone else. They never thought of it themselves. So they usually just become personally abusive.

Interlect is only half the battle when it comes to intelligence. I'd look poorly on those who try to exclude or belittle others from political conversation, etc. just as much.

Caporegime

There have always been dumb people. Of course there have. Just in the past they were less noticeable because they normally took themselves out of the gene pool. Society these days however caters to the lowest common denominator. Hence why cups of hot coffee and tea have HOT! written on them and packets of nuts have May Contain Nuts written on there.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be honest, if you happen to be smart, then it's something to be thankful for. It's everyone else being empty headed that allows you to get a decent job using a skill that not many people have, and therefore have a wage and better quality of life than most people.

But yea, point taken, there are a lot of thickos out there.

Soldato
Goto any Facebook post by BBC and read the comments, 99% of it is just drivel. Drivel to the point that I hope it is just fabricated by Chinese or Russian influenced bot farms.

How's your Sunday? At least the weather's nice here.... Oh no it's not...

Realised that years ago, just read any newspaper comments thread on a covid related article the virus is all a conspiracy apparently, Reddit is full of entitled, demanding self righeous morons too lazy to do anything themselves but demand it of others and for free too.

Just nuke the entire human race and be done with it! I can't be arsed with it anymore.

Soldato
There have always been dumb people. Of course their have. Just in the past they were less noticeable because they normally took themselves out of the gene pool. Society these days however caters to the lowest common denominator. Hence why cups of hot coffee and tea have HOT! written on them and packets of nuts have May Contain Nuts written on there.
Whatever happened to the Darwin awards:D.

Back
Top Bottom